Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #15

The trailer I wanted happened to be aluminum and that was that. But I now kind'a think the aluminum looks much cooler (I might as well, right?), kind'a retro and timeless. And man, do I see a lot of faded and tired looking fiberglass trailers, I'm hoping the aluminum finish will hold up better than fiberglass.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #16

Its interesting that just because all the higher end trailers come with fiberglass sidewalls, that it is believed to be superior...

For my money, I would rather have the aluminum... Holds up much better. Can replace individual pieces if damaged as opposed to the whole side wall, the finish holds up better... and delam... So many trailers I see have delam... Probably because the owners didn't keep up on the caulking and seals, that is true, but my God.. why do you do once these delaminate? Is there a fix?

A good friend of mine is horrible with maintenance, on everything... I keep telling him he needs to check his roof, caulking and so on on his 5er... He pulls in to the park this spring and the back and drivers side wall are showing delamination, terrible!... The trailer is only a few years old too... Sure you can fix the water leak now.. the sidewall alerted you to a problem.. but now what? Throw the trailer away and buy another I suppose?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand the basis for the perception of quality... and what repair methods are available for the fiberglass walls, especially since my next trailer will certainly have them.

chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #17

A good, gel coat fiberglass can't be beat. It is very easy to take care of, wash and keep clean. Wax every now and then protects the decals or stickers against UV as well.
It also resists dents fairly well. Sure, it may be easier to replace an aluminum panel, but it will never match or look right unless you get the whole thing painted.

As far as longevity and repair, think about all the fiberglass boats in the world... millions of them.
There is no shortage of products and services on the market.
My brother's boat is 20 years old and looks brand new. But it's all original.

Then think about the number of seams in an aluminum trailer and all the places water and air can leak in. That's an insulation issue.

Then there is the personal preference issue with how it looks. Top of the line vs bottom in this industry.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #18

I've owned both and fiberglass is easier for me to clean.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #19

Jayco Owners Club
Either can last a lifetime... It all boils down to how it's cared for. I don't understand how someone can plunk down serious cash for something, leave it out in the weather, and expect it to remain looking/working like new for years... ain't gonna happen... especially with the way these things are slung together. Mine's now well over 3 years old. It still looks good and shines, but it's been in covered storage since new, except when in use. The graphics and fiberglass are not fading, still shiny. The roof is cleaned once a year, and it's a lot easier since it doesn't get covered with dirt and dust sitting outside. Roof and all other sealing is checked once a year, and some re-caulking has been required, but it's done, and the trailer doesn't leak...

I said all that so I could say this... If the RV Industry did actually build these things the way I would build one for myself, being left outside wouldn't be so much of a problem. But facing the fact that they ain't gonna do that... EVER... taking care of these things is about the only thing anyone can actually do if they expect to get good service out of it.

Time and technology marches on... Stick and aluminum with bat insulation has been improved upon with laminated aluminum-framed foam/fiberglass sides that are stronger and lighter. That gets my vote, and always will. I believe with better adhesives we'll see a lot less delamination in the future... especially when they figure out a good, cheap replacement for that awful luan plywood. Most delamination is the luan getting wet and disintegrating... If it was some waterproof material it wouldn't do that. I know there are some manufacturers using a composite in place of it but that stuff is expensive.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Have fun... and safe travels...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #20

Hey rbleau6885 what's Dicor cleaner and protectant ? Do you have a rubber roof?
Old 09-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #21

aluminum or fiberglass sides

Yes and I just buy if by the gallon spray roof with cleaner use a mop and a bucket rinse it off and when it drys spray the protectant on and I rub it in with a microfiber

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
2005 Chevy 2500HD crew cab
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #22

You buy it at an RV dealer?
Old 09-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #23

Ya any where I order it on line it's cheaper

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
Old 09-06-2015, 06:23 PM   #24

Sorry found an add on here. Thanks
Old 09-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #25

Our second TT, both were alum. had a choice with the second and went with alum. again. I know it will never delaminate, wash,wax and keep sealed, will last my lifetime.

How many fiberglass Airstreams do you see !!!!!!
Old 09-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Our second TT, both were alum. had a choice with the second and went with alum. again. I know it will never delaminate, wash,wax and keep sealed, will last my lifetime.

Good point

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
Old 09-07-2015, 07:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post

Fiberglass? None obviously. But I see more million dollar fiberglass MHs than I see airstreams.
And I see a lot more fiberglass boats than I see aluminum boats and airstreams combined. I say that because they live in the water and take the pounding of waves and yet they don't all suddenly delaminate.

The point we are omitting is that there are several quality levels of fiberglass and aluminum.
The corrugated sheets stuck onto a regular TT can't be put in the same ballpark as the riveted sheets on an Airstream.
And the gel coat fiberglass on my trailer is way nicer than the cheap stuff you see on some TTs.

The delamination issue is a function of a (roof) leak, not the fiberglass.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:28 AM   #28

Having worked in campgrounds for a number of years, I can attest to the fact that far too many RV's have delamination issues, I would say at least a third of those I see have current issues. Also have toured a number of factories and having some history in laminating panels, I am appalled by the poor quality of laminations. And, for the record it's not fiberglass like a boat it is FRP with is a fiberglass reinforced plastic, similar to what is uses in commercial kitchens and bathrooms. Crane composites makes many of the panels and they vary in thickness according to price point. FRP Panels by Crane Composites

All that being said I choose aluminum over the fiberglass. Much less expensive to do even minor repairs on, than a laminated panel. I'm not one to try and impress anyone, so looking better is a personal preference. Manufactures will make whatever the public wants, which at the current time is in many cases "fiberglass". If they fall out of favor, metal will once again be offered more units.
For the same reason they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream, they make different models and construction in RV's, were all different and there is no "one is best" product. We choose what works best for us. Aluminum has been around since the beginning and works well, plastic panels are sleek and look good, but there are issues with a chemical bond rather than a mechanical bond. Bonding two dissimilar products, which are exposed to extremes in temperature and in movement is a difficult process at best, when it's not done 100% correct, your waiting for issues to show up.. .just MHO

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote