Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

Aluminum vs Fiberglass

RV friends, is fiberglass along with the use of metal structural used within truly superior to aluminum exterior and wood structural within? Superior in terms of lasting quality and being more heavy duty in terms of taking the bumps of RV life. Thank you in advance for your answers - my wife and I are willing to pay the difference if it is worth the price.
PreachWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #2

Aluminum vs Fiberglass

I personally prefer my fibreglass side trailer.

Ours is three years old and so far so good.

But I do roof inspections two times a year and also check all my seams to make sure there are no leaks.

Ours is the aluminum structure and seems to be good.

I also know there are two types of fibreglass finishes. Ours is the Lamilux 4000 high gloss.

From what I understand is supposed to be the better one. But don't really know.

Hope this may help.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:51 AM   #3

I have a Coachmen Fiberglass type with wood.. a 2005. purchased last year.

is holding up well. but as my decals crack.. I am removing them. and there is a small amount of difference between the OLD exposed and the NOW showing.

slight difference in the color of White... and you do have to look carefully to see it.

so 11 years outside, never under cover...
I know the fiberglass has more weight to the trailer..

I had the aluminum type before.. I do like the fiberglass better. and its easier to clean. my opinion.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #4

I went thru this when we bought of new 2015. We went with Alum. I know it won't delaminate, as i have seen a good bit on Fiberglass, The trailer we replaced was a 2000 was Alum. and the finish and graphics were still great, and i understand repairs are much easier on Alum. I know the glass is supposed to be superior, but i stayed with what i know works ! I know this TT with outlast our camping days !
Old 07-12-2016, 09:27 AM   #5

Most aluminum sided TTs are in the lower end of product lines. Some aren't but most are. You won't get the better insulation in an aluminum sided TT. A few offer upgrade packages though. Aluminum dents real easy. Fiberglass can delam. Wood can rot, aluminum can't. Fiberglass insulation can fall down over time. Foam insulation can't.
Most aluminum sided TTs are R-7. You can get much higher R values in fiberglass sided TT's
Interior wise is a wash. Both can be nicely appointed inside.
JMO but the two biggest draw backs in aluminum sided TTs are the low R values and that they can dent easily.
With fiberglass TTs you can get delam, although if maintained properly you shouldn't. Same with wood rot in aluminum TTs. Maintain it and all should be good.
Aluminum sided TTs are less expensive to buy.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #6

Well, So far we love our "Low End Of The Product Line "

Maybe there should be a new Catagory " Low End Of The Product Line Owners "

:bangh ead:
Old 07-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Well, So far we love our "Low End Of The Product Line "

Maybe there should be a new Catagory " Low End Of The Product Line Owners "

:bangh ead:
I wouldn't worry about his statement too much. Friends of mine just bought a Forest River Grey Wolf *Limited*. I believe it is the top of the line in the Grey Wolf line. It is aluminum. I think he meant that in the product line the cheaper ones are aluminum because aluminum is cheaper than fibreglass. Simple. It doesn't mean you can't get visa versa. I have seen some pretty cheap flimsy fibreglass wall campers too.
jayman_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #8

I've had 3 aluminum and 2 fiberglass RV's now.

I was very particular with my last aluminum TT and waxed it at least twice a year. What a pain in the rump, and after 6 years the paint was so thin I could see the metal through the paint. Aluminum dents easily also.

Fiberglass costs more and will delaminate, but if you take care of the roof and stay on top of leaks it will last a long time. It's much, much easier to wash and wax fiberglass and for me it looked better longer.

Aluminum has it's benefits, I just like fiberglass better.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #9

Sorry Cumminsfan for my rant there !!!! I'l just place mine Alum. TT in the "some aren't " section of your post !
Old 07-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #10

If you are talking just about durability then there is no question that aluminum is superior. As an example go look at a 20 year old aluminum drift boat and then look at a wood or fiberglass model. Two will be in sad shape and the aluminum will be ready for another 20 years.
The new trailers are mostly built with fiberglass and they are good but certainly not immune to splitting, crazing, delaminating and separating from the substrate.
The choice is up to us and fiberglass is winning the day.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #11

I've owned both. For me, the fiberglass is easier to clean. They all function as porta-potties with beds.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #12

We think of ours as a home on the road ! and love it. Not to say it's not great to get back to our stick built !!!
But once the wife retires , who knows !!!!
Old 07-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #13

I've had several of each. From the first time a roof leaks, a wood frame Rv starts to rot. The moisture stays inside the walls. If you have fiberglass sides it can delam easily from window or roof leaks. I think painted aluminum siding looks good longest except if your in a hail storm. One sheet of aluminum roof is best ( like the box trucks ) with seamless fiberglass next, and rubber last.
I restored a 1958 avion that had aluminum ribs, siding, and roof. No damage to the wood floor anywhere after 50 years. I think styrofoam insulation is much better than fiberglass but either is so thin that there's not much difference in comfort.
Oh, and any sticker on the outside sucks!
Good luck in your search
Old 07-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
The way the fiberglass sides are made makes them much stronger and much better sealed than the aluminum sided trailers of old. In my opinion that makes for a much better trailer. I doubt I'll ever own a metal-sided trailer. But like anything else, if you put it out in the sun and rain and let it... it will burn down quickly. Moisture and ultra-violet radiation are the enemies of all things man-made. My trailer is 4 years old and looks almost new, with no chalking, or fading, and the graphics still look good. It's been used plenty, but it's stored under cover. Fiberglass would be even better if they left the luan out of the trailer sides. There's bound to be a better material that would last much longer and have fewer delamination problems, that wouldn't increase the cost of the trailer that much...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote