Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #43
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Why I Switched to a Travel Trailer
Posted on July 14, 2013
As most of you who know me I have been RVing and Camping for 50 plus years. During that time I have owed all types of Tents, Trailers, PU Campers, Class A Mtr Homes, Diesel Pushers, and 5th Wheels. For the last 30 years I have had several Motor Homes and 5th wheel Trailers. I have several friends that have asked me why I traded my last 5th wheel trailer for a Travel Trailer. So what follows is my reasons for switching from various RVís and finally to a Travel Trailer.

Click Here to read the rest Why I Switched to a Travel Trailer | RV Bloggers
Great post. It's all about personal preference and I wish people would stop portraying TT's as un towable death traps. It makes me wonder how much driving experience do folks have to feel like they need a fifth wheel to feel like they are in control. I would rather have a fifth wheel. But we are totally content with a TT. If you know a vehicals limitations/short comings you adjust accordingly (example: not being able to go 75mph downhill in a 20mph crosswind)

2016 Jayflight 32 BHDS Fiberglass sides. Golf cart
06' Chevy CC Dually 6.0. 20k hitch NO w/d bars. 16" wheels & LT TIRES
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #44
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I have towed both. I've towed is some pretty good cross winds. The TT will move around and the 5'er stays planted. I could look in the truck mirrors and see the TT moving. Couldn't see the 5'er moving at all. One thing no one mentions is what happens when you pass a semi side by side with a TT or a 5'er. The TT and truck will get sucked in then pushed out. With a 5'er you don't feel that.
I would much rather have a 5'er moving and the truck not than the truck and TT both moving.
You are right you don't feel sway in a 5ver. When the RVer had his 5ver torn out of the hitch on I-80 he never felt it until it went. It sways. You just don't feel it.

wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #45
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
You are right you don't feel sway in a 5ver. When the RVer had his 5ver torn out of the hitch on I-80 he never felt it until it went. It sways. You just don't feel it.

Do you have a link to that story?

What would you rather have, a TT causing a truck to sway or a 5'er not causing a truck to sway?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:32 AM   #46
I'll go ahead and be the one that says it: neither. If the rig is set up well, and driving safely, there shouldn't be much sway...
2010 Nissan Armada SE 4x4
2013 Forest River Wildwood 26TBSS
Jhawk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #47
I think some people are getting carried away with the remarks regarding sway. I tow 35ft tt with a properly set up wdh (Reese dual cam) and here is the biggest key. I drive with in the limits. You know speed limits, road conditions , traffic conditions. Guess what, no sway. If I get passed by a semi or vice versa, stay in the throttle. The trailer will go which ever direction has the greatest force, so if the truck is the greatest force it will stay in line. That's not to say that you should be accelerating, just staying in the throttle. In the rare event I have sway, tap the trailer brakes a bit. It's not nearly as hair raising event as many are making it out to be.
Meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #48
We pull a 32 foot TT with 1 slide with a ford 150 and so far no problems,, didn't want a fifth wheel do to losing space in back end of truck and didn't want the stairs to go up to the bedroom/bathroom, but find we have space for everything. I hope that we will be saying the same thing once we do long haul/long term vacations.
A & KC
Just trying to live the dream!
kccamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #49
I've had all of them. Tents, TCs, TTs, MHs, 5vers over almost 60 years. It is all preference. Anyone that says 5vers don't sway or one is better than the the other is totally BS. Any high profile RV is subject to wind. Saw a recent post where 5vers were talking about bounce, and broken dishes. LOL. I broke in mentioning that 5ver don't sway. LoL. 5vers just don't feel sway in the PU even though it is there. Yup they all swsy in the wind.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #50
I think you get the most bang for the buck with a TT. Least bang for the buck in a Diesel Pusher.

There are now trailers with 3 slides. Those really open up for very good living space. What you get with as 5th wheel is a better frame. There are up-scale 5th wheels that make very good full-time units with dual pane windows and good insulation.

But for the money a TT is really worth a look.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

travel, travel trailer