Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #1

Am I missing something electrical...?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but didn't come across anything that really answered my question. This is my first travel trailer (24' forest river) and after I brought it home I could power on the radio in the trailer and switch the speakers around from inner/outer...etc. The trailer has sat for about a month not on a charger and ran the battery down, but not completely dead, so I went out and bought a charger/trickle storage unit and charged it back up. For whatever reason, the radio display is lit with 12:00 as the time, it's not keeping time, and won't turn on. I'm not sure as to the wiring on this unit yet, I've been running through it as much as I can trying to learn how it's operating, and so far have had pretty good luck figuring things out, but this has me stumped. Everything works, interior lights, awning runs, electric jack, all have power, but anything on a plug is not powered right now? Will they no if I'm not running shore power or on the truck plug? If so, then confused as to how the radio ran before with the trailer just sitting, not plugged in. There is only one gfci outlet in the bathroom, and it's not tripped. HELP!

mdrndaynomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #2

Just a shot in the dark, but are the battery cables connected correctly. If you charged the batteries did you take the cables off.

Brandi

Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Mzbrandi;1986208]Just a shot in the dark, but are the battery cables connected correctly. If you charged the batteries did you take the cables off.

Battery Cables are fine, otherwise I would not be getting power. I never disconnected them, the charger unit just clips on posts. ???
Old 03-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #4

Do you have a manual for the radio?

The CO and propane detectors will discharge the battery in about a month. You need to stay hooked up to shore power or disconnect the battery when you store it.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #5

Sorry, I remove my batteries and charge at home. Trailer was kept in a storage lot.

Brandi
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzbrandi View Post
Sorry, I remove my batteries and charge at home. Trailer was kept in a storage lot.

Brandi
Don't be sorry . Thanks for replying.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
Do you have a manual for the radio?

The CO and propane detectors will discharge the battery in about a month. You need to stay hooked up to shore power or disconnect the battery when you store it.
Figured I had a little more time than a month to pick up a storage charger. Just another bit of info that would have been welcomed when I bought it and had a first time owner orientation. They didn't cover much IMO. I think there is a manual on the radio, but the trailer manual is missing. Have to go digging.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #8

Your outlets are 120VAC powered. Your battery is 12VDC power. So your outlets will not work without 120VAC shore power applied.
The truck plug is just 12VDC power, and just shares a charge one way or the other.

Take the radio out, take out the fuse for it, let it rest 5 minutes, put the fuse back in and try again.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Your outlets are 120VAC powered. Your battery is 12VDC power. So your outlets will not work without 120VAC shore power applied.
The truck plug is just 12VDC power, and just shares a charge one way or the other.

Take the radio out, take out the fuse for it, let it rest 5 minutes, put the fuse back in and try again.
Thanks Jesilvas...I do know the difference on the voltages and currents between the batteries (DC) and 110v (AC) coming in the trailer, just wasn't sure if I was missing something. You were spot on though...I went to take out the radio but was hit with the first barrier - square headed screws. No fear, ground down a cheap screwdriver and now have a new tool for the radio Anyhow, once I got it out, I pulled both of the inline fuses and waited a few minutes, plugged them back in, and the radio powered on, but no sound. Started jiggling wires and the speakers started sounding on and off. Three of the crimps tying wires together were loose causing bad connections. Now I am beginning to see how cheaply these things are put together!!! I went back through all the connections and re-crimped every splice, and then used zip ties to tighten everything up and reduce movement in the wires. That should take care of it. Working fine now! Thanks again
Old 03-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Same here
Quote:
For whatever reason, the radio display is lit with 12:00 as the time, it's not keeping time, and won't turn on. I'm not sure as to the wiring on this unit yet
If mine sits for a month the battery goes dead. Besides the back light on the radio, The CO detector also is hard wired and the light stays on.

While camping in a national park without electric service I was trying to figure out how turn the power off to the radio completely. Even pulling the fuse for the radio, causes a light to come on at the fuse panel. Was thinking about pulling the access cover off the radio compartment and add a switch inside the cabinet to turn the power off to the radio.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When the batteries got low enough and then you put on the charger and the radio got hit with a voltage that was as much AC as it was DC the computer in the radio got confused and froze.

Remove fuse, replace fuse, (NOTE Radio has two fuses, one for memory and clock one for audio and radio systems) and see if that helps. OR alternately, LIft negative battery cable, Disconnet charger, Count to five, re-attach battery cable.

Good luck, this is step one reset/troubleshooting, if it works, be happy, but if it does not... Well.. many things are possible.. I only give first step procedure.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Same here
If mine sits for a month the battery goes dead. Besides the back light on the radio, The CO detector also is hard wired and the light stays on.

While camping in a national park without electric service I was trying to figure out how turn the power off to the radio completely. Even pulling the fuse for the radio, causes a light to come on at the fuse panel. Was thinking about pulling the access cover off the radio compartment and add a switch inside the cabinet to turn the power off to the radio.
Sounds like a good idea to me...I'd go as far as putting a small rocker switch on the panel near the radio since the only access to any wiring on our camper is to actually pull the radio, or cut a hole in the sidewall of the cabinet.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrndaynomad View Post
Sounds like a good idea to me...I'd go as far as putting a small rocker switch on the panel near the radio since the only access to any wiring on our camper is to actually pull the radio, or cut a hole in the sidewall of the cabinet.
Had to do that on another radio that would randomly turn on. It was cheaper than a new radio.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #14

My 2013 Salem cruise lite gets the battery pulled when in storage. At the house I keep the shore power on all the time to keep it charging the battery. The stereo and other electronics will drain the battery. I had to crimp one wire myself. The left front inside speaker kept cutting in and out.

Tags
electrical