Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #15

I do not have solar on my TT but do have solar on my automatic entrance and several other trailers with batteries in them. Buy the biggest solar panel(s) you can afford or store easily. My entrance opens a ridiculous number of times a day and even when it rained for a week it never slowed down or didnt work. I noticed a ton of other gates around me all locked open after a just a couple days. My solar panel is twice the size of all the others around me but I didnt want to deal with battery issues. On my trailers since adding solar I have never had a dead or weak battery.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
The problem I have with your question if the concept of "kit" very few of these packaged kits that include panels, charge controllers, mounting brackets, etc. are good, they instead tend to be an assortment of minimal level components that may at best function ok. For a potentially cloudy region you will likely want to install the panels in series and connect to an MPPT solar controller this will allow you to get some power out of the panels on lightly overcast days, something you would not get with most parallel connected 36 cell panels using a cheaper PWM controller. When it comes to the panels themselves, you need to consider the geometry of the roof top obstructions on your coach, as well as the shading issue.

From a practical point of view I consider anything under about 400 watts of solar panels on an RV to be of limited value as that is around the break even point to provide enough electricity to maintain parasitic loads (refrigerator control circuit, etc.) as well as provide power for a propane furnace, plus couple of hours of LED lighting, and entertainment on a partly cloudy day.
You have a problem with my question? Usually when I have a problem with someone's post, I just keep scrolling.

A kit is just a combination of components to help get a person started in solar. It is always possible to add other components to a kit.

So you seem to know a few things about solar systems, but you don't have a system recommendation for me? A brand you like?
happy cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
I do not have solar on my TT but do have solar on my automatic entrance and several other trailers with batteries in them. Buy the biggest solar panel(s) you can afford or store easily. My entrance opens a ridiculous number of times a day and even when it rained for a week it never slowed down or didnt work. I noticed a ton of other gates around me all locked open after a just a couple days. My solar panel is twice the size of all the others around me but I didnt want to deal with battery issues. On my trailers since adding solar I have never had a dead or weak battery.
What components are you using in your system? What size panels did you buy? And how many? Looking for recommendations!
Old 06-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy cynic View Post
I've heard it's not as bad as people say.

I have a few sunny spots on my property where they will get sun most of the time, and it's not far from my camper, so I think it will help. I don't need it to supply all my power, but the less I have to use the generator, the better.

What kind of system do you have installed?
portable solar for me. an 80 watt zamp suitase, a 100 watt renogy suitcase and half of another 100 watt renogy suitcase. using 2 pwm controllers and 4gc2 batteries.
i plan on wiring all 3 together and using 1 pwm controller. then maybe upgrading to a mppt and adding another 100watt suitcase.
i’ve also had ideas of designing a semi-fixed system to flat mount on the cargo rack that is mounted above my truck bed.
i installed a progessive dynamics pd 4655 converter for use when i have a/c power
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc290 View Post
I have a WEN 2000k quiet inverter generator , it recharges my batteries , "runs all the outside night lights", recharges my CPAP system 12v battery - all for about 5 gal of gas per week of boondocking. Thats tough to beat.
What is the dba on your Genny?
Ranger Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricndot View Post
portable solar for me. an 80 watt zamp suitase, a 100 watt renogy suitcase and half of another 100 watt renogy suitcase. using 2 pwm controllers and 4gc2 batteries.
i plan on wiring all 3 together and using 1 pwm controller. then maybe upgrading to a mppt and adding another 100watt suitcase.
i’ve also had ideas of designing a semi-fixed system to flat mount on the cargo rack that is mounted above my truck bed.
i installed a progessive dynamics pd 4655 converter for use when i have a/c power
Oh my gosh, thank you so much! I have a starting point now.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:56 AM   #21

I have a 2018 Jayco Seneca that we dry camp probably 75% of the time. I wanted something to cut down on generator run time to just when we need it. After searching, reading and watching videos for days I decided on the Renogy 400 watt system (kit) with a 40 amp Rover MPPT charger, Bluetooth connectivity to the controller via phone app to monitor and change settings. This system is all roof mounted and will finish the install tomorrow and test it out. I have already swapped out the batteries with 4 Trojan 105 6 volt batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27352FC-8C26-489B-9A1A-5133CADB874F.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	208080   Click image for larger version

Name:	B90DFB2B-FDCF-4E4F-8577-05120E0661B4.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	208081  

BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGM37 View Post
I have a 2018 Jayco Seneca that we dry camp probably 75% of the time. I wanted something to cut down on generator run time to just when we need it. After searching, reading and watching videos for days I decided on the Renogy 400 watt system (kit) with a 40 amp Rover MPPT charger, Bluetooth connectivity to the controller via phone app to monitor and change settings. This system is all roof mounted and will finish the install tomorrow and test it out. I have already swapped out the batteries with 4 Trojan 105 6 volt batteries.
Fantastic! I have read good things about Renogy. Please let me know how it works for you!
Old 06-22-2018, 10:54 PM   #23

Got it all done but....out of sunlight even in this pic in the shade it was showing some charge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75395078-0B88-4E98-A5E0-2216A7D2EAD7.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	208179  
Old 06-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Is it this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Monocr...+via+phone+app
Old 06-22-2018, 11:20 PM   #25

Basically, I originally ordered the 300 watt system but then after I got the panels and laid them out, I saw I could easily add another one for 400 watts, so I ordered an extra panel. I ordered direct from Renogy, free shipping and extra 10% off if you use the code WELCOME10. The package I got had the fuses and the Bluetooth module with it
Old 06-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Got it all done but....out of sunlight even in this pic in the shade it was showing some charge.
Wow, you've got a lot of room up there! It looks great!

Yes, I've heard they're not as bad in the shade as people make out. I can't wait to hear how it works for you!
Old 06-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #27

My suggestion is to join a facebook page that talks a lot about solar installs.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1730535217184853/

or this one

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1746751582289376/

I was initially going to to go with a Renogy kit but I feel you get way more bang for your buck buying panels and controllers seperately.

For example, you spend way less $ per watt with these panels:
https://www.continuousresources.com/...5-busbar?aff=5
or
https://www.continuousresources.com/...al-solar-panel

For what you pay for a Renogy 100W panel, you get a 175W panel and it's made in the USA!

I am using a Victron MPPT solar controller that has built in bluetooth that you can see how the controller is doing.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
I have 2 x 100W flexible panels mounted to the roof of my TT feeding my mppt charge controller. In the pass through I have 2 x 100W Renogy panels I use as floaters. My last camping trip was in a tall Aspen forest and the roof panels only got the noon sun light on them but that was enough to charge up the batteries from 88% to 95%. Using my 3500W inverter gen for an hour would only charge up 2%. That and it scared away all the wild deer and the turkeys during its 56 dB run time.

I am a big fan of solar but I have invested in the right equipment over time. Trimetric battery monitor, mppt charge controller with Bluetooth and phone app, convection heater (uses no battery power), and a small inverter for phone charging, etc. I run the fridge on propane so our power footprint is pretty small. We use about 8 AHr a day and even limited sun light can cover that in an hour on 200W. If we need the microwave or A/C then we have the generator.

The biggest cost are the panels and mppt charge controller but that is a one time investment. Batteries are what makes solar expensive over time. With proper maintenance you can get 8-10 years of life and then you have to choose your type. Most go lead acid for cost effective means but they need regular maintenance and a well ventilated space. I went with AGM because I had to store them in an enclosed space. They cost more but are maintenance free and I have 250 AHr capacity which is more than enough for a 4 day camping trip using 200W solar with proper discipline.

I purchased all my panels, batteries and charge controller on Amazon and installed everything myself. For full disclosure though I am an electrical engineer and solar was one of my tracks in school. I have been using my battery bank for the last 3 RVs I owned as well as the rigid panels (about $800). The current RV I upgraded to an mppt controller and had to buy new flex panels because I traded in my old RV with the old pair I had so the cost was about $600 with new wiring, Eternabond, the flex panels, and controller. I paid about $950 for the inverter gen for cost comparison. Of course, I never have to plug in to charge my batteries over the winter where the rv sits in my driveway so it's always ready for the next trip and the batteries charge in transit as well.

As with anything there are pros and cons. If you only plan on camping in the shade then solar will only do so much but if you like to boondock and travel around I have found it to be a worthy investment. And be wary of solar "kits". They tend to be over priced and incomplete praying on the inexperienced customers out there. You truly need to do the research available here on this forum.

Tags
solar