Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #1

Amazon Solar Kit for RV

Good morning,

I'm shopping for a solar kit for my 2004 Fleetwood Terry on Amazon and wondered if you have any recommendations? I have two 12 volt deep cycle batteries.

Thanks!
happy cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #2

I see you live in Washington state so I'm wondering what you're typical camping site will be like. If you are like me and prefer shaded, well treed sites like many mountain parks offer with little direct sunlight on the panels you might find solar to be disappointing. Just sharing my own experience with two 150 watt roof panels. Solar has its limitations. I suspect some will tell you solar is the only way to go but not necessarily so without knowing your battery capacity, typical daily consumption, and how many hours of direct sunlight your panels will usually receive.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #3

I will be interested to see the responses. I've been thinking of this option for myself, and haven't decided which way to go. Roof mount has the "do it once and forget it" feel, while the portable folding types have the advantage of being able to be positioned and angled for better sun.

The shade/clouds factor is significant to consider; if I'm parked out in the open for more than a day, it's likely to be someplace with hookups.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #4

For what you will pay for a properly sized solar array and controller and installation, it will end up being cheaper to buy a 2k Watt inverter generator and be able to charge rain or shine. Put your money into a better/upgraded converter that is capable of 3 or 4 phase bulk charge (around $200 on Amazon). Then run the Generator for an hour after breakfast in the morning every other day or as needed and always be fully charged. A gallon of gas will run a small genny for 7-8 hours.....
Coolzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:26 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
it depends on many factors but, its a rare occasion when i start our genny.
and we live in washington state.
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:40 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a WEN 2000k quiet inverter generator , it recharges my batteries , "runs all the outside night lights", recharges my CPAP system 12v battery - all for about 5 gal of gas per week of boondocking. Thats tough to beat.
djc290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #7

I have two 2K watt Yamaha companion generators.

But, I am looking to install a solar kit from Amazon to offset the use of the generator.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what size or kind of solar kit to buy? I am leaning toward panels I can adjust on the ground, not on the roof, and I really want something simple.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy cynic View Post
Good morning,

I'm shopping for a solar kit for my 2004 Fleetwood Terry on Amazon and wondered if you have any recommendations? I have two 12 volt deep cycle batteries.

Thanks!

Started w/ 2-75 watt panels mounted on the roof in 2000. Then had 2 100 watt panels loose to move around on the ground as needed. I really got tired of storing them and chasing the sun. Mounted on the roof works better for me.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:11 PM   #9

You will want at least 400 Watts of solar panels minimum to compete with a small efficient quiet inverter generator. The cost for solar adds quickly, and it won't run your AC. I have a Wen 2k generator as well and I also have a champion 3100 remote start inverter generator I pack when I want to run the air in mid summer. I almost went with solar until I realized how much it would cost and I couldn't count on it in cloudy or rainy conditions.
Coolzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #10

The problem I have with your question if the concept of "kit" very few of these packaged kits that include panels, charge controllers, mounting brackets, etc. are good, they instead tend to be an assortment of minimal level components that may at best function ok. For a potentially cloudy region you will likely want to install the panels in series and connect to an MPPT solar controller this will allow you to get some power out of the panels on lightly overcast days, something you would not get with most parallel connected 36 cell panels using a cheaper PWM controller. When it comes to the panels themselves, you need to consider the geometry of the roof top obstructions on your coach, as well as the shading issue.

From a practical point of view I consider anything under about 400 watts of solar panels on an RV to be of limited value as that is around the break even point to provide enough electricity to maintain parasitic loads (refrigerator control circuit, etc.) as well as provide power for a propane furnace, plus couple of hours of LED lighting, and entertainment on a partly cloudy day.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
I see you live in Washington state so I'm wondering what you're typical camping site will be like. If you are like me and prefer shaded, well treed sites like many mountain parks offer with little direct sunlight on the panels you might find solar to be disappointing. Just sharing my own experience with two 150 watt roof panels. Solar has its limitations. I suspect some will tell you solar is the only way to go but not necessarily so without knowing your battery capacity, typical daily consumption, and how many hours of direct sunlight your panels will usually receive.
Camping site is wooded with open patches and I can cut trees, if need be. No one told me that "solar was the only way to go." I'd just like to reduce my dependence on my generators or Avista. I will probably put them on the ground, not the roof, since I'll be there for several months.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricndot View Post
it depends on many factors but, its a rare occasion when i start our genny.
and we live in washington state.
I've heard it's not as bad as people say.

I have a few sunny spots on my property where they will get sun most of the time, and it's not far from my camper, so I think it will help. I don't need it to supply all my power, but the less I have to use the generator, the better.

What kind of system do you have installed?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc290 View Post
I have a WEN 2000k quiet inverter generator , it recharges my batteries , "runs all the outside night lights", recharges my CPAP system 12v battery - all for about 5 gal of gas per week of boondocking. Thats tough to beat.
That is excellent! I hope I can expect the same from my Yamahas. Haven't tried them out yet, as I'm currently at a campground with full hookups. Will probably be moving to my property in late July or so and will be using them then.

So no solar then?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Started w/ 2-75 watt panels mounted on the roof in 2000. Then had 2 100 watt panels loose to move around on the ground as needed. I really got tired of storing them and chasing the sun. Mounted on the roof works better for me.
Were the two 100 watt panels enough for your use? What kind of system did you have installed? And do you have a brand you like? Hoping to find most of what I need on Amazon...

Tags
solar