Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #15

Having a 400 foot long gravel driveway. I just order a large load of gravel once a year. That truck piled high with gravel takes care of any and all branches either up above of side to side on our 2 mile long county road! Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. I get my gravel, and the road cleared also.

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan

I think you may bear some of the responsibility in this mishap.
Had my ignorance of the delicacy of the $36,000 TT roof been brought to my attention, it would have been avoided. I'm used to a 53' trailer with a metal roof. But I am bearing $1,000 of the $4,000, it could have been worse.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
They are responsible for the trees to a point. The city/county has ultimate responsibility and will trim if needed. Some bill the property owners for it.. While mine doesnt, I was told if I didnt like the 'chop and hack' the county does, to trim them myself

That said, it is ALWAYS the RV owner/driver that is responsible for making sure where they wish to drive is free and clear of obstacles and/or dangers..
Sounds familiar! They did a resurfacing on our street, before that they left notes saying there was a crew coming through to trim the trees, but if I wanted a neat job I could do it myself or hire a trimming co to do it
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl

I'm putting some new stronger PVC on it. Don't know the details yet.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry to hear of your damage. So just how tall is your rig? Most all public roads have other tall an large vehicles moving on them i.e.: delivery trucks, buses, long haul moving vans, garbage trucks, propane trucks all traveling down the same road you would use. All this traffic should self prune low hanging trees.
Also it is a very good idea to measure the total height of your rig and put a tag on your dash to keep that in your mind. Did so for my rig...comes in at 12 1/2 feet. There are plenty of trucks moving down the road higher than me.
Anyway...happy trails!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okietrucker View Post
They can repair it but it will void 15 year warranty on roof.
You know...I wonder if you don't have a warranty claim here.

In the first place, look at this picture of your roof:

See all those humps and bumps? Shouldn't that surface be perfectly smooth on a properly installed rubber roof? Those raised areas, many associated with your tears, offer perfect opportunities for the smallest object to punch a hole through the membrane that some rocket scientist defines as a "roof".

The other issue is of course the evident delicacy of the materials chosen by the manufacturer to roof the unit to begin with.

There's a principle of law called "merchantibility" (sp?), which asserts that a buyer has a right to expect a product to perform its presumed function while being used as designed. That principle can't be overridden by disclaimers or closely written warranty exclusionary clauses.

It's simply ludicrous to presume that a vehicle of any kind, while being used as intended, will NEVER encounter the kind of "hazard" that caused the damage in your case. Some of those tears are so small they clearly must have been torn by branches about the size of brush.

I think you have a right to expect that your "roof" will withstand what at least in my opinion amounts to ordinary wear, and I think a Small Claims Court Judge would agree.

If I were in your position I'd do the following to preserve my options:

First, make a claim against the warranty, and if (when!) they deny coverage, get the denial in writing.

Second, get the roof repaired and pay the deductible.

Third, file a Small Claims Court suit against the dealer/manufacturer for recovery of your deductible. (It costs almost nothing to go to SCC, and nobody is allowed to bring a lawyer, so you'll be on level ground in that department.)

And just watch the effect on the Judge when whoever shows up for the other side tries to assert that the roof on a vehicle designed to be actively on the road needn't be built to withstand an encounter with a twig!

One more thought:

You might take some pics of the low hanging branches that you had your brush with, unless they've already been trimmed.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007
Sorry to hear of your damage. So just how tall is your rig? Most all public roads have other tall an large vehicles moving on them i.e.: delivery trucks, buses, long haul moving vans, garbage trucks, propane trucks all traveling down the same road you would use. All this traffic should self prune low hanging trees.
Also it is a very good idea to measure the total height of your rig and put a tag on your dash to keep that in your mind. Did so for my rig...comes in at 12 1/2 feet. There are plenty of trucks moving down the road higher than me.
Anyway...happy trails!
It's about 11'10".
Old 09-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca

See all those humps and bumps? Shouldn't that surface be perfectly smooth on a properly installed rubber roof? Those raised areas, many associated with your tears, offer perfect opportunities for the smallest object to punch a hole through the membrane that some rocket scientist defines as a "roof".

The other issue is of course the evident delicacy of the materials chosen by the manufacturer to roof the unit to begin with.

There's a principle of law called "merchantibility" (sp?), which asserts that a buyer has a right to expect a product to perform its presumed function while being used as designed. That principle can't be overridden by disclaimers or closely written warranty exclusionary clauses.

It's simply ludicrous to presume that a vehicle of any kind, while being used as intended, will NEVER encounter the kind of "hazard" that caused the damage in your case. Some of those tears are so small they clearly must have been torn by branches about the size of brush.

I think you have a right to expect that your "roof" will withstand what at least in my opinion amounts to ordinary wear, and I think a Small Claims Court Judge would agree.

First, make a claim against the warranty, and if (when!) they deny coverage, get the denial in writing.

Third, file a Small Claims Court suit against the dealer/manufacturer for recovery of your deductible. (It costs almost nothing to go to SCC, and nobody is allowed to bring a lawyer, so you'll be on level ground in that department.)

And just watch the effect on the Judge when whoever shows up for the other side tries to assert that the roof on a vehicle designed to be actively on the road needn't be built to withstand an encounter with a twig!

One more thought:

You might take some pics of the low hanging branches that you had your brush with, unless they've already been trimmed.
You said everything I was thinking.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

One more thought:

Good luck with that! A roofs job is to stop water damage, not ward off low hanging trees.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Good luck with that! A roofs job is to stop water damage, not ward off low hanging trees.
That seems to me a little like saying that a windshield's job is to allow one to see the road, and therefore single-pane window glass is sufficient to the purpose.

Think that one would stand up in Court?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

One more thought:

Personally, I would send the $1000 bill to the City/County..
Old 09-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #26

Latest update. I got a call from insurance adjuster, he said " your claim for $9,200 has been approved"!?!??? Last I heard from RV dealer was around $4,000. I called them and they said they were replacing the decking with stronger 3/8" decking and stronger PVC type material roof.

The city did trim some of the trees. Missed a few I would have cut, but at least they did something.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #27

I'm extremely curious about this PVC roof material. Please inform us about anything and everything you can find out about this! Pictures aplenty would be great and where they are obtaining this material from. I have no desire to replace my rubber with another rubber if better options are there. Mine should begin the deteriorating process very soon thus need replaced.

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue12v
I'm extremely curious about this PVC roof material. Please inform us about anything and everything you can find out about this! Pictures aplenty would be great and where they are obtaining this material from. I have no desire to replace my rubber with another rubber if better options are there. Mine should begin the deteriorating process very soon thus need replaced.
Will do. They are taking pictures during the process for me. They say this will increase the value of my TT.