Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #1

An expensive lesson

Brand new 2013 coachmen freedom express, torn holes in roof due to limbs. $4,000 to replace roof. Luckily my insurance is gonna cover most of it but I still have to pay $1,000 deductible. The limbs on my road are the culprits. It's 1.5 miles and I can't do it. Called city, well see what they do. Ugggggg so frustrating. Here's a couple pics. They can patch it but it voids warranty on entire roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1900632761.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	25912   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1941514886.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	25913  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
That is really unfortunate. I had the same problem with my municipality but as shocking as it sounds they did trim about a mile worth of tree's. It took persistence but after about two months they had the work done. I only lost two antenna's and a few minor scrapes. I consider myself somewhat lucky in that many municipalities are tapped out from lower real estate tax revenue. This was an area they cut back on. Good luck moving forward.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check your state rules (not laws in this case but rules) regarding trimming of trees.

Many places have a 16' rule, if the limb hangs down below 16' it has to be trimmed.

If it's not trimmed, then, depending on other rules, ordiances and laws either the government (Road comission or parks) or the home owner, may suffer liability.

Pass this on to your insurnance agent if you have to.. They have the high priced lawyers who love to sue folks for damaging their insured and who knows. they may let you in on it if they do.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #4

Those small holes can't be repaired with Eternabond?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow that's a bummer. I know when I enter our neighborhood I have to weave back and forth to miss low hanging limbs. I think I'll take a look and see on our cities website if there is any information on the height these limbs should be at. Hope all works out and Good Luck on the repair.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr
Those small holes can't be repaired with Eternabond?
They can repair it but it will void 15 year warranty on roof.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I paid to have my neighbor's trees (with their permission) brought back to City Code, which is 13' from the surface of the street. Their trees were more like 8 and 9 feet.

I didn't like shelling out the money, but in the interests of keeping my neighbors and me on good terms, I offered to help out.

No, I'm not that nice a guy, just didn't want to have happen what happened to you.....Good luck and I wouldn't even think about patches either, get a new roof for your warranty.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #8

I'm happy to say the city actually did some trimming today. Funny how the word lawsuit gets people moving.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
They trim around my area every 2 years or so.. At least 13' from the road surface. They use a 'bush hog-on-a-stick' Last time they came through, it looked like a tornado hit..
Old 09-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okietrucker View Post
... The limbs on my road are the culprits. It's 1.5 miles and I can't do it. Called city, well see what they do. Ugggggg so frustrating...

I think you may bear some of the responsibility in this mishap.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
It's the property owner's responsibility to see their trees are in code compliance, which is usually above the coach height (12'-16') in many instances. The property owners are accountable for their trees.

Okietrucker is accountable for his driving under them and damaging his coach, but I think the 1,000 deductible he's gonna pay is forcing some of the accountability on him too.

I feel for ya Okietrucker, but bet you will not do that again! Glad to hear the property owners are getting their trees in compliance with the Law.....

They are responsible for the trees to a point. The city/county has ultimate responsibility and will trim if needed. Some bill the property owners for it.. While mine doesnt, I was told if I didnt like the 'chop and hack' the county does, to trim them myself

That said, it is ALWAYS the RV owner/driver that is responsible for making sure where they wish to drive is free and clear of obstacles and/or dangers..
Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
The real culprit in my opinion is that rubber roof. Whoever thought that was a good idea on a "recreational" vehicle must have a loose screw somewhere- unless they thought RV's never go into the woods.

I'm sure glad I've got a solid molded fiberglass trailer- it'd take a lot more than a few branches to tear a hole in that puppy...

And I've got the "Sierra pinstripes" on both the roof and the the sides of the trailer (and the tow vehicle) to prove it!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
The real culprit in my opinion is that rubber roof. Whoever thought that was a good idea on a "recreational" vehicle must have a loose screw somewhere- unless they thought RV's never go into the woods.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
They are responsible for the trees to a point. The city/county has ultimate responsibility and will trim if needed. Some bill the property owners for it.. While mine doesnt, I was told if I didnt like the 'chop and hack' the county does, to trim them myself

That said, it is ALWAYS the RV owner/driver that is responsible for making sure where they wish to drive is free and clear of obstacles and/or dangers..
I would love that if it were true for me. The City and County are responsible for Code Enforcement here where I live, and I suppose if the owner wasn't responding to the Code violations or citations, the City would do it and then bill the property owner. But here in this City, the City and County only take care of City and County property.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote