Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #1

And So it begins...

We managed to finally drag the travel trailer home on Tuesday. Yay! Yesterday we started on what will be a rather long process of repair and restoration. For previous pictures, see ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting I'm sure as I work through this trailer I'll find more interesting things and rot. lol.

We began in the bathroom and tore out the bath tub and that back side wall. Hubby was somewhat surprised but I wasn't. I knew there would be dry rot to clean up and wood to replace. I keep reminding him of the fact that there is no payments to make. It's ours to make as we want. I just hope he doesn't shut down on me half way through the project.

The one thing I hadn't counted on was my DH being over zealous in tearing loose the bath tub during which he put an 8 inch vertical crack down the side. It had other repairable cracks but his he-man rendition effectively relegated the original tub to the trash heap. lol (I guess I get a new tub now. )

It appears to me that the previous "handy person or manufacturer forgot to support the seat area of the tub. There was absolutely thing holding it up other than the screws in the wall. which allowed the tub to flex and crack. Another interesting thing we found was the walls were constructed of paneling, cut to fit, duct taped together in the corner then vinyl flooring glued in place then the whole wall/corner was bent and put in place.

Ok. So pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CubBathtubRemoval.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	27884   Click image for larger version

Name:	CubBathtubOut.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	27885  

Name:	CubBathtubWallRot.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	27886  
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #2

Good luck and have fun. Looks like an overwhelming job..
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #3

Heh. Nothing is overwhelming if you take your time and work a list.

I saw a video on youtube where this fellow was complaining about his 7 year old Layton being designed to leak and rot. So I figure newer trailers would eventually require the same treatment. At least this way my initial cost is only $650. I already have about 15 sheets of bead board paneling I hauled here from the old house... so that part of the expense is already paid for.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #4

Wow, you have more patience and determination than I could EVER dream of. Do you have a target date for completion ? Good luck.
BigBill3111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like quite a project you have there, Sylvia!! Good luck and be sure to post lots of progress reports with pics!
Old 10-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #6

Wow! I can't wait to see the finished project. What is it about this trailer made you want to save it?
FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #7

You can do it! We are in the last phase of our restoration. The worst part is the removal of the old wood and damage. When you start to put it back together, things will start to look up. I recommend getting a small air gun or staple gun to aid in construction. I use Liquid Nails to help hold the wood framing. Liquid Nails (when dry) will make a joint stronger than the original wood. Insulate well and you will have a trailer that is better than the original. We also used paneling for the trailer that I had saved from another project. Once it's all installed, we will cover it with a good quality wall paper.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #8

Well, today I went out and unscrewed a total of about 6 screws and decided it was too dang cold to work out there. So I went to Lowes and Home Depot. I got 5 2x2s and some of the plastic paneling I'm going to use in the bathroom. As well as Liquid nails, and a tube of 100% silicone. The score however was enough vinyl flooring that is vinyl but presents as 6 or 8" wide by 36" long planks. They were originally $48 per box of 20 (40 sq feet) on clearance for $27 a box. By the time I was done with them I got it for $18 a box. $90 for flooring.

Hubby got an oscillating multi-tool and I ordered a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig for my birthday yesterday. Yes, real women love tools too.

What possessed me (us) to tackle this project? Well, because I'm pretty frugal. Frankly it's because I don't want to pay $12K - $250k for a rig that will likely have rot and problems anyway. I don't want the payments... Even if I put $2000 in this over time... I figure I'll come out ahead by not paying interest.

Time line? I hope to have it finished in time to go camping summer 2013.
We already have an air compressor and a finish nailer/stapler. So I'm covered there.

I've been considering using my paint sprayer to spray the new and old wood with Thompson's water seal while I have the walls off.

Hopefully tomorrow won't be so cold and I'll be more motivated to do more than 6 screws. lol Or maybe I should just work on some leather instead.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #9

RV restoration.

When we did our restoration I stained all my underlay. I wanted to use Thompsons waterseal but was unsure if heavy duty liquid nails would stick to it. I stained both sides of the underlay. Rip everything down to the fiberglass/aluminum. Then use bondo made by 3M to seal the inside of the fiberglass/aluminum. Use lexell caulk very generously after the bondo dries on the interior. The caulk goes next to the wood/metal on the inside. Use expanding foam to seal any holes. Read and follow all directions on the 3M bondo. This product is not cheap,but will seal up any pinpoint holes you can't see. I think AUTOZONE carries the bondo. I know they have a website by 3m for this product. I've known many that don't know to use bondo and have leaks. This bondo is a two part epoxy that dries to a hard sealer.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #10

Hi Sam

Yeah first hubby was an auto-body and paint guy. Seen lots of pink and green bondo in my day.

So do you think expanding foam would be better than the 1 1/2" foam board sheathing? I wonder if it would be better to rent the foam sprayer and while I'm at it go under the house and spray the under floors until I'm out of the foam. I wonder what a price comparison on something like that would be. hmmmm..

Stupid builder... this is Idaho.... it does get cold here... like neg degrees cold at times. And he didn't add a single bit of insulation under there... except where the house meets the foundation. All under floors are bare. lol

Feeling a bit wonky today... had to call a "babilance" last night at 3:30am for the DH. Just got home.... I think I'll go collapse now.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sylvia - if that old cracked tub is made of fiberglass, it could be repaired and then resurfaced. Given that it's paid for and the right size it would worth investigating...

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #12

Thank you Janet. The tub is plastic. They do have repair kits but the info I read for it says that you can fix cracks smaller than 5 inches. Since it had 2 cracks already and Dean added two more verticals ones and broke out part of the lip. I have noticed some salvage yard around here have a few old trailers so I may go on an excursion one of these days and see what they have.

Our local RV salvage yard has some too but his prices are way to high for used, but at least they are already pulled.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #13

Got a little busy today. Dean is whining... But it will be good in the end.

Good news, found 4 cents while removing the dinette benches. Ok on to pics. Nothing too exciting at this point since it's removal and tear out.

I did do a little flooring removal too. It will definitely be slow going.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CubDinetteOut.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	28040   Click image for larger version

Name:	CubDinnett_h20heatercorner.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	28041  

Name:	CubBathSinkOut.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	28042   Click image for larger version

Name:	CubH2obayNCloset..jpg
Views:	144
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	28043  

Name:	CubYepWholeCorner.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	28044  
Old 10-22-2012, 01:20 AM   #14

Restoration/insulation question.

Sorry,forgot your first hubby was an autobody guy. I have seen a recent article in one of the camping magazines where they were starting to use machine sprayed in insulation. I would think this would conform to curved spaces easier. DH says it would be an art to keep the spray size uniform thickness. We used sheets of insulation in our restoration because our walls had a sl. curve to them. The deciding factor for you may be cost. Do what you can money wise. Save some more $ and then continue on. I was refering to expending foam in the cans to fill in holes and gaps. The only draw back to this is once you spray the can it has to be used quickly up or it is no longer good. Frustrating to waste $. A whole different conversation on contractors taking short cuts where their are none. I too live in cold/frozen Western,N.Y. We were able to get an energy audit done on our home. We beefed up our insulation and it made a huge difference in comfort and reduced our electric and gas heating bill.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote