Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #1

Andersen, Pro-Pride, or Hensley??

Pulling a Coleman Light 4901lbs dry weight and 507lbs hitch weight with a 1995 Ford F250 HD with the 7.3 PSD.

Help me decide. I've read all over the internet and can't seem to come to any sort of conclusion. Are all three equally as good? Is the difference simple mechanics? It seems all three do the same thing, distribute weight and control sway, equally well.

I like the price and simplicity of the Andersen. The Pro Pride would be my second choice simply because I think it looks a little better but the cost at $2500+ is prohibitive. The Hensley would be third because I just don't like that big orange thing on the front of my TT but I think I can get a used one for right at a grand.

So there we are. What would you do???

Thanks for the help folks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do you really need to spend more than about $500 on a good hitch for that light a trailer being pulled by a 3/4 ton truck?

I'm using a $500 Equal-I-Zer to pull a 6700# GVWR trailer with no problems at all.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #3

If you're not having tow issues then any of the low end WDH's would work. You have plenty of truck for that TT.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #4

One of the reasons I'm looking closely at the Andersen is tight turns and backing up. My round bar chain/friction sway control hitch doesn't like either. Not sure how the other 2 would handle it but it looks like the Andersen would be able to go as tight turn as I wanted and backing up be a non-issue.

and yeah....I like having plenty of truck
Old 09-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
buy enough for your NEXT rv
Old 09-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
buy enough for your NEXT rv
LOL!! Next RV (if there is one) will be a class A DP.

and really....after a bit of thought it isn't so much weight distribution I'm concerned about. It's sway and ride control. I could probably get by without the WD part of the hitch. Not that I would but.....
Old 09-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
JohnBoy - frankly, I have a Hensley and love it. The big orange blob gets looks but it also keeps bad guys from making off with my trailer .

That said, you should be able to shop CL or FleaBay and find a good used one for a lot less than retail. Know I did. Got it for a little over a grand.

Turn radius is same as without the hitch. Yep, you can jack knife it if you try.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #8

Any of the WDH with built in sway control will do fine with your combo. Something like a Equal-i-zer, Reese Steadi Flex, Blu Ox Sway Pro, etc. You can back up with any of them. Far less $$$ than a Pro Pride type.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #9

Husky CenterLine. Heavy TT, 900lb TW, no sway, $500, lots of $ left over for ice cream with the grandkids!
2010 Ford F-150 KR 5.4L/3:55 Husky CenterLine
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richamor View Post
One of the reasons I'm looking closely at the Andersen is tight turns and backing up.
If that is your primary criteria. you're still spending too much money IMO on the Andersen for these features. The Equal-I-Zer will turn tight and back up without removing weight from the WD bars. Many good lower cost hitches will.

I only talk about the Equal-I-Zer 4-way hitch because it is the one I have. Are there better hitches? Yup. It's your money.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:13 PM   #11

I looked at that Equalizer. But it uses those spring bars and we have some pretty good dips in the roads around here. The Husky will let the trailer start bouncing like a pogo stick if I'm going even a little to fast over them. I hate that.

Does the Equalizer not bounce like a springboard? I can see how the Andersen would be opposed to that movement.

I did find the Equalizer at a cheaper cost than the Andersen so there is that too.

Andersen-$474.99 shipped

Equalizer-$441.98 shipped
Old 09-20-2017, 08:31 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If your rig pogos, then you should look at your shock absorbers, because they are supposed to, dampen unwanted movement, aka absorb shock. Your truck is a 1995 model year. How old are the shocks?

You're pulling a trailer. It won't ride like a limousine. When your pickup goes over a dip, it begins a motion that will happen again as each axle goes over the dip. I slow down for a dip myself whenever possible, but I am rarely in a hurry.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:10 AM   #13

Rancho shocks are not 2 years old and maybe 25K miles. Other than the occasional pogoing it rides great. I don't drive fast pulling the TT but the dips aren't always marked or visible until you're there.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:46 AM   #14

Get an equalizer. I have 20k miles on mine with a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 diesel. Easy to use and stable hitch. Great design