Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #1

Andersen weight distribution hitch

Has anyone used this hitch. There has probably been some discussion on this hitch but I couldn't find it. The hitch looks easy to set and looks clean. Thinking of ordering one and your opinions would be appreciated.
AirZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #2

I have one. I have only used it once as the weather isn't that great. TT's under the cover. I bought it abour 5 weeks ago. We made one trip in Feb to the coast. About 75 miles each way. I didn't have it set up perfetly as i kinda rushed into it to get it ready. I will say though that it doesn't really seem all that much easier to hitch and unhitch as say an EQ or EAZ-Lift. It is very quiet and smooth. Our setup jerks a bit and has with every WD we've used. The Andersen didn't eem any better at removing the bounce more than any others. But in all fairness I was still adjusting it on the fly.
When we got back from that weekend camping trip I spent a couple hrs tweeking it and took it out for a test run and still have some bounce. I'm convinced it's primarily my TT's poor design and not any WD problems. I am towing with a 12 2500 Ram CTD and my TT weights 7300lbs loaded and ready to go. Tongue weight is around 800+- lbs. The 1st trip with it there were 15-20mph side winds on the way to the coast. On one stretch of road we were out in the open getting the full wind blast and the truck and TT were rock solid. IMO the sway controll is better than our old EQ 4pt sway WD.
There are concerns that the Anderesen won't transfer enough weight to the front end. I can see that as a reality. I have to really compress the bushing (3/8"+) to get enough front end weight transfer. Like I said I've only had it out for a short trip and don't feel it was dialed in correctly. I did weld the bars to the tongue like the suggest as an option. If it is no better at removing the bounce as the previous WD's Ive had I'll still be happy with it. It's totaly grease free and is super quiet and smooth. I will have a better report in a month or two when we go again.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #3

I have one on my 34' Bullet Premier. My only experience is one trip, 950 miles from the dealer in Michigan to my home in MA. Handles great, no sway and I had head winds, side winds and plenty of semis passing.
Ricos Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I guess the hitch hasn't been out long enough to get any long term use opinions. I think I will drop the $ and pick one up. They are hard to find here in Ontario and the price difference between Canadian & US is about $300. Probably go the EBay route. They just look like a good hitch that would work good on a smaller trailer. 5350 lbs loaded.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #5

There is a long discussion on rv.net. I also have this hitch and love it. Way smoother and quieter than the EAZ-LIFT I used with my old trailer. And the design helps with allowing sharper turns too it doesn't bind up. I'm using it with a 33.9' TT towing with a 2001 dodge 2500
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #6

Well I did it. The hitch arrived and I can't wait to install it. Now the snow has to melt to get the trailer out of the yard and to somewhere level and bolt her on. Can't wait for summer. Taking a trip to Yellowstone.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We are thinking about downsizing, going to a 1/2-ton truck and small travel trailer, and this is one of the hitches we're considering.

There are two long discussions here (you don't have to register in order to read):

The Andersen WD Hitch User Thread - Airstream Forums

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Towing: New Andersen WD hitch
Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #8

There are yet more discussions on this hitch on those forums, alone, than the two linked above.

The singular purpose of a weight-distribution hitch to restore the Front Axle Load of the TV to the amount seen when not hitched. By extension, the TW is also transferred somewhat to the TT axles. This is via a segmented certified scale as fender height measurements are not reliable, much less accurate.

As of today no one using this hitch has been able to show (scale tickets) that the Andersen is capable of meeting this simple test for the range the manufacturer advertises. If one has a TT with a TW of around 400-lbs (where a WDH is usually optional according to the vehicle manufacturer) then the Andersen is okay. But not so where heavier TW's apply . . and your TV manufacturer requires weight distribution. In fact there are reports of bushing failure, and Andersen is apparently recommending against more than 1/2" of compression due to this. Or, is sending out replacement bushings for those concerned.

Anti-sway is beside the point. It is not a requirement to be met, merely an optional device (or, integrated in hitch design) which may be nice to have. But not critical. Do not make the mistake of thinking that trailer anti-sway is the purpose of a WD hitch.

Spreading the TW across the three axle sets is what matters. For handling, braking and GP performance. That "lever arm" extending back from the hitch ball to the TT axles is what we measure under static conditons. But it is constantly changing going down the road. Under the worst condtions it may increase multiples of times the forces seen at the hitch ball. Driver control of the vehicle is distinctly affected, and loss-of-control accidents are what we are working against. This is not at all the same as placing a few hundred pounds in the bed, folks. Partial FALR is not the goal.

Driver skill is moot (I won't say what I think of that argument as it has no legs, And I'll put my experience, private and professional against anyones). Risk minimization is the point: the bad day we all wish to avoid.

It's easy enough to make a mistake in RV's, heck, any vehicle. I've bought, installed and then had to eat the cost of [4] tires on a TT that didn't really meet the mark. The Andersen hitch is in this category. An expensive mistake considering that all other WD hitches can meet the FALR requirement.

Antisway, of whatever design, is found to be beneficial by users. Too easy to swing that tail out inadvertantly, or too far; just for starters. It is not, however, part of what makes a weight-distribution hitch work in the manner prescribed.

A DUAL CAM or EQUALIZER are the usual second tier hitches cited as having best performance for low cost, both for WD and antisway. First tier is PULLRITE, PRO PRIDE and the somewhat antiquated HENSLEY ARROW. These hitches are the ones worth having.

Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #9

If you haven't tried the hitch, what makes you an expert at saying its no good? All you ever here is the negative.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #10

I looked 'em up and watched the video. That's an interesting concept. I think that the ball turning with the tongue and WD gear is an excellent idea, as is the tapered fitment of the ball shank into a friction control bushing. However.... the chain setup looks like it was invented in some rednecks back yard. I can only wonder how much chain tension it takes to divert enough weight when you're pulling in a direction perpendicular to the direction you're trying to effect. I'd love to see some of Anderson's good ideas combined with the time tested and proven bars that most WD hitches use. With the modest weight of my trailer, I'd be interested in trying one, but not at the expense of buying one.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just ordered one of these hitches for my truck and trailer. When I purchased the trailer the dealer threw in a cheap WD hitch. It worked okay here on the prairies but I filled my pants a few times going through the mountains last summer. Our trailer design has the kitchen at the back and because the trailer is so high even the smallest gust of wind moved us sideways (not a good direction in the Rocky Mountains). I bought mine from Certa in Ontario and I am really pleased with the service that I got. My original bill for hitch, shipping and taxes was just over $800.00. A few days after processing my order online they called me to say the price had dropped (about $70.00) and adjusted my bill. You know they could have pocketed that money and not said anything, instead they did the right thing and I am proud to say I’ve dealt with an honest company and will support them in the future. We are probably six weeks away from putting this on and trying it (Record snowfall here in Regina this year). We’ll be taking the same route west this year so will be looking for the trouble spots to see if this hitch works better. Having no grease and less weight is already a bonus for me.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With any good weight distribution system (W/D), you still need sway control. In theory a trailer that is properly set up and balance, will not sway under normal circumstances. But if you get that wrong gust of wind from a passing truck, mountain pass or a bridge, you can get with an uncontrollable sway situation. That is not the time to be wishing you had a W/D and sway control hitch. It is cheap insurance.

You will hear stories of folks towing for years and never used W/D or sway control. They are either dang lucky, or they do not travel much.

For the money, you cannot beat a Reese Dual Cam HP or StraightLine hitch. A lot of RV dealers do not like it as it is a bit more expensive and a bit harder to install. But once set up correctly, it works great.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
I just ordered one of these hitches for my truck and trailer. When I purchased the trailer the dealer threw in a cheap WD hitch. It worked okay here on the prairies but I filled my pants a few times going through the mountains last summer. Our trailer design has the kitchen at the back and because the trailer is so high even the smallest gust of wind moved us sideways (not a good direction in the Rocky Mountains). I bought mine from Certa in Ontario and I am really pleased with the service that I got. My original bill for hitch, shipping and taxes was just over $800.00. A few days after processing my order online they called me to say the price had dropped (about $70.00) and adjusted my bill. You know they could have pocketed that money and not said anything, instead they did the right thing and I am proud to say I’ve dealt with an honest company and will support them in the future. We are probably six weeks away from putting this on and trying it (Record snowfall here in Regina this year). We’ll be taking the same route west this year so will be looking for the trouble spots to see if this hitch works better. Having no grease and less weight is already a bonus for me.
Bought mine from Anderson and paid $560.00 (hitch,shipping and taxes).I went to Certa and they quoted me $650+HST, no shipping ( I live about an hour from them ). Can't wait to hook her up a go for a test run. The hitch looks like it is very well designed, and will do exactly what I intend it to do.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirZone View Post
Bought mine from Anderson and paid $560.00 (hitch,shipping and taxes).I went to Certa and they quoted me $650+HST, no shipping ( I live about an hour from them ). Can't wait to hook her up a go for a test run. The hitch looks like it is very well designed, and will do exactly what I intend it to do.
I bought mine last November on line at Rad Auto for $399 including shipping. Just checked and they are $449 now. FWIW all the sellers have them drop shipped from Andersen warehouse in Idaho so just shop for the best deal. I actually found the dealer on ebay, then went to their web site for $20 less

RadAuto - Radical Automotive Applications
Ricos Ride is offline   Reply With Quote