Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2017, 10:35 PM   #1

Annual maintenance

My Starcraft Launch is 1 year old and was wondering what type of maintenance I should be doing. I don't travel far from home and I have only put approximately 700 miles on it since I bought it new. Appreciate any and all advice. I was also wondering how to clean my black tank sensors. I know sensors are a pain but I completely empty tank and sensor still says 1/3 to 2/3 full.
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2017, 11:30 PM   #2

Well first of all every year you really should check your seams and seals on roof just to make sure everything is nice and tight and no cracks or drying out of putty. I don't know too much about Starcraft but I would definitely have the wheel bearings repacked and brakes adjusted period I think the Starcraft is a single axle trailer if I'm not mistaken but I could be. Either way I would have the axle bearings repacked definitely brake adjustment and check the seals on the roof make sure there's no leaks going to develop. From there I guess would be just look it over well. Safe travels and enjoy the year
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:30 PM   #3

I wouldn't worry about repacking bearings with such low mileage. Inspect springs & equalizers. How are the brakes working? Can the brake controller lock them up?

Clean fridge, hot water heater and furnace flue / burner. Inspect roof and window sealant, reseal as required.

Do you have a black tank flush connection? They make a rod you insert through the toilet to clean the tank. Sensors never work that well...Fill black tank with water, drive around and dump.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To clean the sensors add 1 cup of Dawn dish detergent to a glass of water, mix until dissolved and then dump it into the toilet.

Then fill the black tank until it is completely full.

Let that sit in there for at least 24 hours or more and then drain.

I have two black tanks and have been using that procedure on them for the last 12 years and have never had a problem.

After you drain it add another cup of Dawn and about three gallons of water. You don't want that black tank to sit empty else-wise things will harden up in there.

On your next trip that soap will keep things moving.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:39 AM   #5

I have used two bags of ice and about 2 gallons of water and drive. The slushing w/ice helps clean them too
Old 03-15-2017, 05:30 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a short clear sewer extension pipe at your RV supply store. Like others have said, fill the black tank. I add 2 packets of electric dishwasher detergent before I leave home. When I hook up I dump the tank and refill and dump the tank until I see nothing but clear water coming out of the tank. You may have to fill your tank 2 or 3 times to clean it up.
Best wishes and happy trails to you.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:38 AM   #7

Do clean, inspect and re-pack the wheel bearings and inspect and adjust the brakes. Yes, you have low mileage but you have no clue what is in there. The spindles may not be greased and adjusted well, yes that does happen. You will also find cheap Chinese bearings of questionable quality, I replace them with Timken bearings. After you do it right, you can then be confidant that running it a number of 700 mile years will be OK.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:51 AM   #8

To "clean" your tank, do what others have suggested. To get proper readings, get these: RV Holding Tank Sensors - Get accurate grey and black holding tank monitor readings

Tags
maintenance