Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Another dumb tire question...

My TT came with load racge C tires. These are TowMax Chinabombs... and I've already had one separate. I replaced it with the same size Maxxis and have had no other problems.

I know sidewall flex generates heat and the faster they flex, the more heat is built up... and that's why tires fail if not damaged by something else. With the increased pressure, it would seem to me that I could go faster because the sidewall would flex less at the higher pressure.

I have a trip planned in February that's about 1k miles each direction. The Interstate speeds are up to 80 mph in stretches out west. So, here's the dumb question: If I go to load range D tires and run 65psi instead of 50, can I SAFELY drive faster, like 70 or 75?

Jack
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #2

ST tire's are limited to 65 mph.

If your going to travel at those speeds you will have to upgrade to a LT or one of the euro all position tires.

Tire damage is cumulative.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #3

The website for Maxxis says they are high speed radials. I try to stay at 65 mph, but feel I could maintain 70 mph with no problems. Fuel consumption is SO much more acceptable, to me, at 65 mph.

Another consideration is speed limits for towing - Florida doesn't post it, but it is in the books that 65 is the max limit for towing in Florida.

Saying that, I did however, tow my enclosed bike trailer to Sturgis from N.Florida this past August. I did tow it sometimes at speeds up to 80 mph. Now, it too has Maxxis tires - load range D - overkill for a bike trailer, even with 2 bikes and gear (it came with load range C). I felt much more comfortable towing between 67 - 73 mph. I had some older, different brand, load range Ds on the trailer on the way up, and made it there and back to Iowa before one seperated. I have to say speed and age had an effect there as I don't remember anything in the road that may have caused belt failure. I'm thankfull my friends behind me were able to alert me so that I could change the tires before it blew out and took a fender with it. I had purchased the Maxxis tires before leaving and carried them as spares - just in case. Glad I did. I took the Maxxis up to 80 mph for only a short time, and did run it at 75 mph for awhile.

I just stepped from a load range D to the load range E on my travel trailer/ toyhauler. Although I can tow it faster, I don't go past 70 mph.

A 5 mph raise in speed will give you only 5 miles farther in an hour, 50 miles in 10 hours. 10 mph will put you 10 miles farther in an hour or 100 miles farther in 10 hours. In those 10 hours, there will be fuel and restroom breaks. Keep them shorter and make the extra miles there. Slow down and make less fuel stops too.

Fuel consumption gets WAY worse going faster. At 75 mph I got only 10 mpg with my Dodge diesel. I get 13 mpg at 65 mph. This is with the lightweight bike trailer. With wind resistance as the biggest factor. Doing the math on only 20 gallons, that is 60 more miles on the same fuel. 200 miles or 260 miles before fueling again. Bigger tank, bigger the difference.

And another way to look at it is 60 miles (my gain by slowing down) @ 10 mpg = 6 gallons. 6 gallons x $3.50 per gallon (diesel) = $21.00 just thrown away on 200 miles. 200 miles @ 65 is 3.0769 hours. 200 miles @ 75 mph is 2.666 or about 20 minutes difference. The 3 mpg more @ 65 mph = 60 more miles and almost 1 more hour before a fuel stop and $21 of fuel saved in 200 miles. If I did your 2,000 miles round trip, that equates to $210 saved.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #4

Get rig of all those Towmax tires. I had two separate at nearly the same time. Even Discount tire won't sell them anymore. I've heard nothing but good about Maxxis. Discount replaced all of my Towmax with China Carlisle's. The salesman said they were better that the old Carlisle's. Still made in China and I'm not going to trust them. When time permits, I'm getting them replaced with Maxxis.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #5

What is the speed rating on the tire? All tires have it.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #6

I ran 225 75R 15 Maxxis E tires @70psi over 4 years and 25,000 miles or so at posted speed limits to 75mph. Zero problems. According to Tire Rack, the same size E Towmax are R rated 106mph tires.
Smooth travels............
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #7

Don't do those speeds in ca.!! Cost you lots!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #8

55 in CA... NV, UT, WY, etc. have higher limits, as I'm sure you are aware.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote