Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #15

We looked for a long time and as stated before, salesmen are there to SELL you a trailer. He is NOT your Buddy or friend! We did however have a unique experience when we found our travel trailer. It was a year old, owned 4 months and traded in on another unit. we found the oven racks still had the cardboard packing on them, and the bar b que grill on the side was still wrapped in bubble wrap. We discussed the price, and came to an agreement and bought it as is and have been very pleased with it. You might find as we did the trailer or camping vehicle you finally choose will do double duty in your driveway, as ours has. We had a few more guests than our house could hold, and the camper was used as a spare bedroom for four other people. That was a life saver. also saved them an expensive hotel bill. Good luck and don't get in a hurry. The right one will appear, just have patience.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 04:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcop20 View Post

Are used TTs pretty much the same? What are the chances of getting a total lemon? I would imagine one of the most expensive repairs would be the AC unit.

Thoughts on this please!!
We bought USED three times and was screwed twice. When you buy used you will quickly learn how slick and dishonest owners hide things like leaky roofs, rotten walls and leaking/cracked holding tanks... whatever. We just got ripped off with a used Class-C. The man lied beyond belief but now we have no choice but to fix what we bought and use it. We bought two NEW RVs over the years and had little trouble with them. In fact the Thor Zinger had no issues at all. The NorthTrail had minor issues but the used ones really had problems.

I would suggest a new FunFinder as those I met in the CGs with them were satisfied and the price is nowhere near as high as the Casitas and some of the other small RVs out there.

We have two RVs now. The Class-C for a planned cross-country trip, and the NT 28BRS for long term camping and snow-birding.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Do you get the feeling I don't trust salesmen?
Don't trust those private owners either. Of the three used RVs we bought over the years, only one seller was honest with us. Two were liars who skillfully hid the serious problems with the RVs. Just because they're fellow RVers don't mean they're any more honest than your typical used car salesmen. They're looking to dump their problem on the first sucker to come along with the cash.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #18

RanCarr, thanks for the advice. You describe exactly why I'm seriously considering purchasing a new TT. I'd really hate to drop a lot of cash and find I have to drop more cash for major repairs. At least if something is wrong with a new one, I should be able to return to the dealer under warranty for the first year.

My wife and I visited several dealers over the past week and have not decided yet. One conclusion we came to is the Travel Trailers that I can tow with my current vehicle does not seem to be what we want. So I guess that means a new truck.

Wire Wrat: I am looking at a new Tundra, the 5.7 L Vforce with the supplemental transmission and oil cooler. How do you like yours and how does it tow? I noticed the towing specifications are real good. I've always owned Toyota cars with excellent results but never owned a Toyota truck.

Thanks for all the advice while I decide how I'm going pursue this.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Thwart the dishonest sellers with a thorough pre-sale inspection. If you can't do it yourself, there are people who will. Leaking roofs, rotting wood, and cracked holding tanks should be pretty easy to spot.

The seller we bought from was honest about all the problems he knew of, and allowed us to camp in the coach prior to purchase, and also have a pre-sale inspection done.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #20

I agree with the other posters: rent or borrow something.

If you live near northern VA I could even pull our trailer out to a campsite and let you use it for a weekend or week.

We have a Skyline Koala 20RB, which comes in at just under 4k fully loaded, about 3k empty, and has no slide outs or fancy stuff. But considering the price it has been excellent, and we have something like 5000 miles on it since last December. The only thing is that it's a single axle unit, and so it sits lower for stability, has less safety margin in terms of weight it can carry, and is more sensitive to sway.

Looking at the Skyline Koala site, they list a bunch of new models in the brochure that are probably better suited to just a couple camping than our trailer with its bunk beds and stuff. And to be honest, the floor plan can make a huge difference in terms of how much you'll enjoy the trip, simply because your habits are your own (like, we don't have a TV in ours, since we only sleep in there, even in March).

ETA: As far as opinions of sellers goes, look, they're trying to sell you something. Whether it's their job or some private joe, it's the same. Some will go further than others to sell you something, like lie. And yeah, my first job out of the army was as a rental RV mechanic for four months (think bottom of the seniority list - a LOT of ... plumbing), and it taught me a lot about what breaks on these things, and what people do to them.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Retiredcop20:
It only took two trips in our new trailier ('09 Skyline Nomad 266) to decide we were ready to upgrade after three years.
When we originally looked at TTs, I figured we didn't need slide outs because we would only be using the trailer to sleep in. Well, after a couple of mornings of trying to cook breakfast and get another butt from one end of the bunkhouse model trailer to the other, we decided a slide out was a must have.
Also discovered that more time is spent in the trailer than originally planned in our lovely Texas summers in Central TX. Having a better layout was now on the list too.
Presently we are looking for a trailer that meets our needs, and yet can be towed by the Nissan Armada. We are right at the cusp of needing a bigger tow vehicle with our current trailer.
With the KOA right there in your town, you may be able to talk to owners about trailers in the park that you may be interested in, and get the goods and bads. I plan on using one of the Georgetown dealers when we finally decide on a new model. We will consider a used model that is only a couple years old to save on the immediate depreciation.
bigbirdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #22

bigbirdtx:
Yes sir, not a whole lot of time outside here in Central Texas. It was 106 degrees at my place yesterday and again today. I have been through the KOA here checking out the TTs, not a lot of folks out in this heat though. The campground is located right next to Sunbelt Rv, it's a pretty small friendly mom & pop type dealership.

The wife and I visited Crestview in Georgetown not too long ago. A very nice dealership but very high pressure sales. Last week we visited Funtown RV sales in Waco, another huge dealership and the sales person was nice with not a lot of pressure. I am being very cautious with this first purchase, I would like for it to be the right choice for at least a few years. Good luck with your upgrade search and welcome to the forum. As you can see from all the advice I've been given, lots of nice folks here willing to help.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #23

One word "Rent". You guy's might not like RVing and selling a used RV in this slow economic time is tough.
If after you rent, if you like it and still want to buy look at a LOT of campers.
We just went through the RV shopping and I started out wanting a smaller (20' or so) TT. With the DW the TT's we looked at keep getting bigger and bigger.
Take notes and a camera to take pitchers of the ones you like. Trying to remember which camper had what can get challenging. Try to figure out what your must haves and like to haves are.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #24

retiredcop20; I really like the way my rig handles. I have weight distribution bars on the hitch, and I feel that helps too. I think I would like to have a little more beef in the springs, but all in all, in the Ozark mountains and in Tennessee, I had no trouble. The Tundra gets around 14+ MPG in town, but that is because our town is stop sign to stop light, and I never get into hi gear. It gets 22 out on the highway if you keep it at 65 or less. My Tundra came with the tow package which included a heavy duty alternator, oil and transmission cooler and temperature gauges in the dash. Bottom line, I happy with the rig, and probably won't get rid of it any time soon. Good luck with your hunting, I hope you will find what trips your trigger. Be safe and happy camping.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #25

Oh and I also forgot to mention.. My TUNDRA is made in the USA!! Chevy Dodge and Ford build their cars in Canada or South America. Tundra is built in San Antonio, Texas!
Old 08-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #26

Wire Wrat:

Thanks a lot for the information. I love the crew cab's body style however, if I understand it correctly, a crew cab doesn't tow as well as the double cabs with the standard bed. I assume that the DC by your vehicle description indicates you have a double cab. I really like the fact that you can buy it with all the upgrades needed for towing, I am a Toyota car person just never tried their trucks. I appreciate everyone's advice.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #27

Buying used doesn't gave to be a bad experience. I have only bought 1 car new in my life and I'm 48 now. I've had two trailers and both used from original owners. Haven't had any surprises. Get a 3rd party to do an inspection and it'll be the best $150 or so you spent. My last inspection allowed me to bargain another $1000 off of our current 5th wheel.
My tow vehicle is a '99 f350 crew cab dew with a v10. Bought that used too and we've put 6000 miles on it pulling the 5th wheel in the last year. The combo pulls and camps like new.

Good luck with your purchase! Just remember, it doesn't have to be new to have a nice rig.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #28

The guy I work with has the Maxi cab with the short bed. He pulls a trailer with a tractor and two four wheelers on it. He does not have any problems either. I think you would want to drive the Maxi cab with a standard bed around in a parking lot before you decide on it. I have a time with the 6.5' bed on my double cab. When you get in it you will feel like you are in an 18 wheeler. Then when you add a 23' trailer, you are 45' long. You will really feel like an 18 wheeler. I ask my wife to pull the rig, just to be prepared for an unforeseen time when I get sick or hurt, she knows how to hook up and go. She does not prefer to drive the truck by itself because of how big and clumsy it is in a parking lot, She is more comfortable in her scienna. I don't want to scare you off, I really like the truck, I tell every one that it will pass everything but a gas station. I asked a dealer about putting the bullydog electronics on it to increase power and save gas. The man beside him asked me WHY on earth would you want more power? The sales man then asked him why not? The other guy said The Tundra is already the fastest production truck on the market! I had to laugh. Then was told that Bullydog does not make a unit for the Tundra. Happy looking. Don't get in a hurry with either the tow vehicle or the travel trailer.