Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a lot of good advice here........and here is mine. Go very slooooow, take your time and do a lot of research on the Internet. Buy used.....look at Airstreams. That was my first RV. I full-timed in a 31 ft Sovereign for 4 years. They are GREAT! Your tow truck could handle up to a 25 footer. Their owner/users are "cultish" and are usually very helpful and for the most part....HONEST. They are a bit more expensive, but their resell price holds up very well and 100's of people are always looking to buy them. I sold my 1976 Sovereign in two weeks for more than I paid. Here is an excellent Forum to get you started. Good luck.....Rook

Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Owners Community

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #30

Evergreen Owners Club
One thing to keep in mind... If you go too small, you and especially the DW may not enjoy the experience. If you don't have full hookups you will fill your grey tank too quickly. It may be too claustrophobic or just not as nice an experience overall. We just bought a 31' everlite and are loving the heck out of it. We were moving up from a pop-up, which is nice when you're younger but as you get older it becomes too much like work. I do think you should rent first due to your lack of experience camping. Because you're limited with the TV, maybe you can rent a full size pickup and a TT or maybe even a motor home.
Either way good luck!

Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcop20
As a brand new member with no TT yet, I’m try to decide if my thinking is rational. You guys are the long time experts so please chime in and give some advice. It will be very much appreciated.
I don’t know if the wife and I will enjoy camping or not when we both retire in the next couple of years. It is the two of us, all the kids have moved on with their lives. So as of now, the early stage of preparation for total retirement, I plan to explore the possibility of camping now as economically as possible. I own a 05 Chevy Silverado V 6. The GCWR is 9500 lbs. I do not want to invest in a big old TV and may not pursue the hobby. So I’m thinking of buying a small TT ultra-light at around 2900 lbs that max out loaded at 3850. The GVWR of the truck is 6200 lbs. My owner’s manual says the heaviest trailer the vehicle can tow safely is 4600 lbs.
I’m on vacation next week and headed out on the search. Are my expectations within reason as far as the size trailer my vehicle can handle? I’m sure a salesman would say yes. I really don’t want to upgrade TV because if I end up not towing then I’m stuck with a vehicle I won’t need. I think I’d rather be stuck with a smaller TT than a big truck.
All ideas, suggestions, criticisms, and so forth are appreciated.
My 2 cents from a "newer" guy as well.

I am on TT #3. Buy you 3rd TT first. I know that sounds silly, but think ahead. We bought small twice nd ended up with what we needed..

People often slam Salesman, they are just like any other profession, there are both good and bad ( no I am not a salesman), you just need to do your research and educate yourself prior to buying ( as others have mentioned). If you go in unarmed, you open yourself up to being taken advantage of. Find a reputable dealer rather you want to buy new or used , there still are some good ones out there. If you find yourself in a uncomfortable setting at a dealership, tell them thank ou and walk off. Easy.

If buying from a private party, find a tech and do the pre purchase inspection.

Don't over load your vehicle towing capacity, it's not worth it.

In the end, it is your familys happiness so take your time.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #32

Again, thanks a lot for the advice. We are still processing it all and have slowed quite a bit. There is really no rush with the decision making process. We were probably rushing, the best decision we made was to put the question on here. You guys brought many issues to our attention.

The wife and I both spent many years in the Army working in jobs that required us to spend a lot of time involuntary camping. Cot and tent life was the norm.(Whew, just that thought brings back memories) We know the experience; we would just like to make it more comfortable.

Yes I would love to make the first purchase at least the third. That way it would be sufficient at least for a few years. I would really love to make the first purchase the only purchase, at least for a good while. As I move toward retirement, once there, I'm sure I'll have to pay more attention to finances than at present. So the way I look at it, buy now and try to purchase as much towards the future as possible.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #33

Wink Looked at the Jayco Jay Flight SLX line?

I'm first picking up my SLX154BH next week but the reason I went that route was 1- comes fully equipped , price was right. Plenty of room for 2, my TV is a 05 Sante Fe 2.7V6, rated at 3200 lbs with 2 people in TV. My 154BH is a new 2012, saved over $2,000 from MSRP. You'll know my TV, it's got a funny front plate with a blue line on it, 10-4
Old 08-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #34

I tow a 2700 lb 19 ft Sun Valley Roadrunner with a GMC Canyon pick up,with a cap on the pick-up. I built a shelf across the interior of the truck body so tote sized items slide under and chairs and other bulk go on top. We have travelled up to 9,000 miles on a 3 month winter trip and have had NO problems. I scale the trailer and truck each season. Always check tire pressure/condition daily and I use a IR temp gun to spot check wheel bearing and tires during the day. We love what we are doing. A bigger trailer would be geat but that requires a bigger truck so we are staying with what we have. Enjoy retirement, you earned it!
Old 08-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You sound like a Happy Camper.......make no changes that cost money, just keep doing what you enjoy! Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #36

You're retired, at last! Comfort. That was an issue for us. Our first TT was an 18 footer. (with an 8' deck in front.) I slept in the weird "queen" that was really a big twin with the corner cut off. Had a shelf over it, kind of like a bottom bunk. She slept on the jackknife sofa. Nowhere to sit but the sofa or dinette.

I loved it but realized if I wanted to continue RVing with a happy DW, we needed something bigger. So what I'm suggesting is, having comfort in mind, stay with your plan of a smaller unit. You can discuss this idea of learning the basics in a trailer that is passable and start a list of "must haves" and "would likes" for the next time around, should you want to continue. You're likely smarter than me. I've bought cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats - don't ever remember the first one being the one I ended up wanting. So this first one might not be your last.

If you like RVing and still don't want a real tow vehicle, consider a Class C motor home.

But do go slow and read, just generally do your homework. You'll still screw up here and there probably, but not quite so bad.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #37

I am in the same position as you - looking for my first TT. One thing I have learned after only a couple of weeks is to completely understand all the weight ratings regarding yout TV and TT. Let me say that again - understand the weight ratings of your TV. Here is a Link on this site that will answer your questions.
Tow Vehicle Sizing & Weight Calculators

Please understand, I am not trying to insult you but I thought I was in great shape with a van powered by a diesel and found out I can't tow as much as I thought I could. My Differential Gearing eliminates 4.000 lbs. of Tow Weight. Good luck to us both in our search
Old 08-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #38

Thanks guys for the advice. Here is what I've decided. First we have slowed down drastically because there is really no rush. I have decided to upgrade the TV and will probably go with new Tundra. This decision is based on purchasing a TT no heavier than 5000 lbs. dry. The 5.7 L Tundra with tow package should have no problem towing a 26 ft. TT.

Next is to attend a RV show in Round Rock, Texas on October 6th, that way we should be able to take our time and have the option to check out the many different models on display. There is a huge show in Dallas in September but the wife will be attending a family reunion during that time frame. We will attend the Round Rock show before we purchase our TV. That way if we see something that we absolutely must have and it exceeds the Tundra's towing capacity, we would reconsider the TV.

We have decided to purchase new. Now another decision comes into play. What brand to purchase? That’s why we decided to attend a show.

Stever88:
Thanks for the link to the calculations. At this stage all the information provided by members here is always accepted and appreciated. If you jump into it before I do, let me know how it goes as well as some of your experiences and I will definitely do the same.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #39

Hi Retiredcop20!

Glad you found the Link useful.

Based on your plan to upgrade TV it sounds like you are closer to pulling the trigger than I am. My timeline for purchase is next Fall. I am still compiling a list of features that I want to research and would be happy to share what I have so far (a beginning list of things to evaluate).

I have also heard that an RV show is a good place to get a deal because the Dealers would rather avoid the cost of taking it back to the lot. I don't know anyone who has done this, but it makes sense to me - maybe someone with actual knowledge on this will chime-in.

There is an RV show in Timonium MD Sep 13 - 16 > MD RV Show Super Sale Timonium Maryland State Fairgrounds | Motorhomes, travel trailers, fifth wheels, toy haulers and tent campers - about 30 brands are listed on the program.

I appreciate your offer to share buying experiences and I will do the same, but it won't be for a while as my research has only just begun.

Good Luck!
Old 08-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #40

Pond Piggies Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My husband and I camped for years in a 2619 Trailmanor and towed it with a Chevy Colorado and Ford Ranger. It was light weight and short (19 ft.) and opened out to a 26 ft hard walled camper with bathroom, 2 double beds and a dinette. It served our purposes when we didn't want to buy a new TV.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #41

Guys,
How in the world do you know if you are getting the best price? The range of prices is so broad. For instance I have been researching the Fun Finder X-215WSK . I have found prices on the internet from $17000 all the way to $28000. What would be a good source of information to reference as far as pricing goes? When time comes to buy, I would be willing to travel to make the purchase if it saves thousands. It never fails, once I purchase something, a little ways down the road I see the same item much cheaper.

Thanks,
Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #42

Gulf Streamers Club
I don't know of any way to guarantee the 'best price.' Shop around and factor in dealer service and reputation, location, and other factors important to you. Rather than becoming paralyzed by always seeking the lowest price, try to keep emotions out of the equation and be satisfied that you bought what you wanted at a price you could afford. My father in law used to second guess every purchase, thus destroying the joy of owning something new. I try to be cautious but don't look back on a bunch of 'coulda shoulda woulda' that spoils what your hard earned money has provided for you.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote