RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #1

Another Newbie

We are completely retired and looking for a used small to mid size TT. There are not any local, except for new. The used ones we have found are either to large, or beat up. We have found some on Craigslist that appear to be in good condition. One particular that has really caught our attention in a 2007 Salem Sportsman. This will be our first RV and know nothing about different manufacturers. The question is does anyone out there have experience with Salem TT's?

PapaRoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

I can't help with that brand. However if you like it, get a certified RV tech and have it inspected. Couple hundred dollars for peace of mind.

Happy Trails!!!

Old 04-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #3

We have a 2013 flagstaff microlite 22ft. Model 21fbrs and love it. We are both retired.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #4

TonyDi is right on point. Have a certified REV tech inspect the trailer. Better to spend a few dollars and walk away then spend thousands on repairs. Hope all checks out. Welcome and enjoy. We bought a used rv funfinder 210 wbs 3 years ago when I retired and love it.
dustyone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:38 AM   #5

Thanks for the warm welcome, and advice. The TT that we were interested in was sold before we could get a chance to even look at it. However, we are not discouraged as we know that deals come along everyday, and we are committed to continue our search. The biggest draw back is that 99%, of these are out of our local area. We do plan on having any TT inspected that we plan on purchasing. As we continue our search, we look forward to the support of this great forum.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #6

There are some nice used rigs out there, but you have to sort through the pile to find one. I am in the opposite situation, I am selling our TT with a new one on the way. Trying to find the best way to sell it without being exposed to scammers and crooks.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #7

Oh, if you are in Texas, PPL has a lot of consignment rigs for sale. That may be where ours winds up in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #8

RVs especially, Trailers are not designed and built as well as cars. But most people willing to do a little work can fix most things themselves. We started with a 10 year old rig and have had 5 different rigs over 30+ years. Only had to get help from an RV tech three times in those years. Don't think there are too many things we have not fixed or replaced having two sons helped. These forums have provided us with good information many times and are a great source. Do a good inspection before buying and look carefully for water damage and you should be OK.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #9

I listed my 18' Pioneer on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. First guy who looked at it bought it. I had 12 people waiting to come and see it. (it was in storage 3 hours from home) Cost to list $0. Worth a try.
saseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #10

Great info Saseals. I've got a couple of things left to do, then give it a try.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #11

Craigslist is one I go to a few times a day. I have seen only a couple that we would be interested in, and they go very quickly, if they are decent. The trouble is that there's not very many close by, and we have to drive 3+ hours, 1-way, just to take a look at them.

Tags