Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2014, 06:01 AM   #1

Another question for my Apex.

We are re visiting a 2015Apex 279 RLSS next week. The dry weight is 5300 lbs. TW 750 lbs. Give me your opinions on what weight distribution and sway system to consider. There are so many out there.
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #2

Could you post , your tow vehicle info too.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #3

2014 GMC Sierra 5.3 V8 4 WD. RATED AT 9600 LBS.
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #4

My personal feeling is that you can't go wrong with the Equal-I-Zer brand. They are well made, work better than most and have terrific support if needed. My local Airstream dealer puts this hitch on 96% of his new trailers. Quite a recommendation!
I would use the 1K / 10K hitch, 1K ton weight and 10K total weight. That will give you some leeway for your next trailer because they are usually heavier.
Buy it and don't look back.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #5

I will second the Equalizer Brand hitch
I am on my second one as I sold the first with our first trailer
It is simple
It works well
If you have an electric Tongue jack you do not need to do any work putting the bars on the L brackets. Just raise the hitch and truck up high enough on the tongue jack and slide the bars on or off the L brackets
It is just too simple
The hitches with chains and over center swing arm where you use a pipe to swing them in place scare me as something you can get hurt with. You also need some kind of sway control with them be it a multipoint assembly or the brake pad assembly.
The equalizer hitch is simple enough my 6 year old grandson could do the hookup
I would not let him but he could
It gives you the weight distribution and sway control and with minimal fuss and frustration. Just make sure when you install it you get the bars parallel to the trailer frame and get some weight on the front of your vehicle
Most newer trucks don't drop much on the rear so pay attention to the setup in the book. Do the setup with the trailer loaded for camping is best or at least mostly loaded.

RRII
Old 10-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #6

Roadrunner II, I like the new trucks that don't squat much. You don't need to lift it so high to put the bars on. Of course the more pressure you have on the L brackets the more anti sway you have. I went from a 150 to a super duty and the hook up is easier and the trailer tows like a dream.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #7

Equal I Zer here as well. I have the E4. It's a breeze, I take the weight back off the truck and use the provided hook bar. Doesn't take much effort. It is a fairly loud system at low speeds, pops and moans on tight turns a bit.
Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #8

For the noises you can eliminate some of them by ensuring the L brackets are dead level with the bars and lube the head surfaces where the arm sockets move
I don't lube the bar or L brackets and find it is pretty acceptable
Make sure you retorque the bolts on the trailer brackets once in awhile and the ball bolts are tightened up to the spec for torque

RRII
Old 10-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #9

Thanks Roadrunner. The bars / L brackets are level, and since where the bars pivot have loosened up it hasn't been as bad. First time in the campgrounds was embarrassing not so much now.
Froman is offline   Reply With Quote