Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #1

Antenna Help Please

We just purchased a 2015 Coachmen 32BHDS Freedom Express Liberty Edition last fall. When out camping I thought I would watch some tv. To my surprise, I could not find the crank to put the antenna up. I went outside and noticed that it looks as though the antenna is maybe stationary in the up position maybe, not the kind that lays down on top of the camper when you crank it. I am really confused, as I can not find any kind of control, or buttons, or crank, and there was no information that came with the unit pertaining to the antenna. Yikes, does anyone know what I may have and if there is really some kind of something to tune the antenna. If it is stationary, this antenna is junk as it only picks up PBS channels, which are fine, but wish I had some local tv that I could pick up with our other camper.

Becky
beckygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckygood View Post
If it is stationary, this antenna is junk

Becky
Exactly!

Don't you have any information in the packet that came with the RV? If we knew what you have, maybe we could offer some advice. My bet is that it is a cheap piece of junk.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #3

I will look again, but I don't seem to see anything in the owners papers that pertains to the antenna. maybe I could get a picture of it and try and match it up to some online pictures or something. I am just shocked that they would put something junky in this unit, as everything else seems higher end then most units we had looked at, but it is starting to look that way sadly. I didn't even see an antenna boost button. It has an entertainment system with a built in dvd/cd player and stereo all in one unit. and surround speakers, even outdoor speakers and tv hookup outdoors as well. I wonder if it would be somehow built into that entertainment system. although the model year before has the same entertainment system with a crank antenna. Thank you so much for your help, I will keep digging.
Becky
Old 03-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #4

since its 2015 is it possible it might be electronic and have a button for it?
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #5

Hope a fellow Coachmen owner will be able to help you with your specific antenna, and usage technique.

We just replaced our old stationary antenna with two units:

1) Winegard RZ8500 Automatic

2) Winegard Sensar IV - manual crank up

Hope to use the RZ8500 Automatic the majority of the time. But when stations are distant, we can then switch over to the manual unit as it is reported to provide a bit more range.

Our main reason for buying the crank up, was not for this second longer range antenna - that was just a bonus! I bought it to mount my WiFi antenna (Bullet with higher gain RV Antenna from WiFiRanger.) to. Getting it up off the roof helps in it's range, and with the 13" or so antenna, I like being able to have it come down horizontal while traveling.

So we get a '2fer' from the crank up.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #6

Can you post a picture of the antenna?
Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #7

got some answers

Apparently the antenna is an Omni-directional antenna and has no adjustment. That is a bit disappointing. I guess I may have to check into a back-up.
Anyone have one of these such antennas?

Thank you all who have responded and taken the time to help

Becky
Old 03-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckygood View Post
We just purchased a 2015 Coachmen 32BHDS Freedom Express Liberty Edition last fall. When out camping I thought I would watch some tv. To my surprise, I could not find the crank to put the antenna up. I went outside and noticed that it looks as though the antenna is maybe stationary in the up position maybe, not the kind that lays down on top of the camper when you crank it. I am really confused, as I can not find any kind of control, or buttons, or crank, and there was no information that came with the unit pertaining to the antenna. Yikes, does anyone know what I may have and if there is really some kind of something to tune the antenna. If it is stationary, this antenna is junk as it only picks up PBS channels, which are fine, but wish I had some local tv that I could pick up with our other camper.

Becky
You do understand you must run a channel scan and set the TV to antenna rather than cable.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
You do understand you must run a channel scan and set the TV to antenna rather than cable.
She is picking up PBS so I would think it is on Ant and had done a scan
Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #10

Re:

Yes, I did do a channel scan on Antenna, and PBS channels are the only ones I received. I know that the park we go to is sort of remote, and was only able to get ABC CBS NBC and a couple of other off channels, along with PBS with our other camper which had a crank up with a boost, but at least we were able to get local channels. I guess I will have to consider buying an additional antenna or perhaps a satalite dish.

Thank you
Becky
Old 03-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, You probably have a jack antenna which is fixed height wise but you can turn it . There should be a control on the ceiling with and on/off switch and a knob. There are also a series of blue lights which indicate signal strength.

Someplace by the tv or in a cabinet someplace there should be a single gang plate with a on/off switch and an antenna connector. That has to be turned on too.

Good Luck!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #12

I have a Coachmen similar to yours. No, you don't crank it up and no, you don't rotate it. Like you said, it is Omni-directional and there is no adjustment necessary or possible. Mine works just fine and picks up all kinds of stations. Check to ensure your antenna boost button has been depressed. Then, change locations. If you still can't get acceptable reception, you may want to return to the dealer. My guess is the boost may not be activated or working.
stallsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are basically 4 types of antennas.
The old winegard crank up is still the best, epically if you upgrade it with a Wingman and Sensar Pro

The JACK, comes in both directional and non-directionsl.

The "Flying Saucer" Or Roadstar (Non direcitonal) note I consider non directional antennas to be junk, not even junque, just junk.

And there are a few "Automatic directional" if the Receiver supports it they chat with the reciever and electronically aim themselves,, alas not many receivers support...yet...
Old 03-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Unless he has a pancake style antenna which I doubt the jack rotates.

Look up on the roof and see what it looks like. if it says Jack on it then it rotates and there is a small knob inside on the ceiling along with the oh/off switch.

It also may be that he is too far away to pick up a digital UHF signal. When I'm in my driveway at home I can only get 3 PBS stations yet where I am now I get 27 channels.

Lastly the Jack antenna does ROTATE.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna