Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-15-2015, 10:43 PM   #1
Anti freeze in fresh tank?

I hear some people put anti freeze in the fresh water tank over winter, and flush several times come spring.

Is this a common practice?

popcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:48 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There's a whole procedure - you drain the tank and lines then put antifreeze on the lines. I don't have the link but do a search by typing "winterizing" above.

Bill & Jenny - 2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K, 36 ft, Ford V10 - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Prestone RV/Marine Antifreeze - Walmart.com

You need to use NON-toxic antifreeze.

Winterizing: Part 3 - Antifreeze In Fresh Water System | Roadtrek BlogRoadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog

Yes it's a fairly common practice although I've never done it....seldom freezes where I live.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:49 PM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
One regular automotive antifreeze has been used in the system and let sit over winter the only way to be sure you won't be poisoned by it is to COMPLETELY replace the entire water system, including the tank. That was published in one of the RV magazines a while ago.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:57 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is trying to be said is there are two types of antifreeze. One is regular auto antifreeze and the other is RV antifreeze. Auto antifreeze is poisonous - the pink RV antifreeze is what you use because it is drinkable. Do the search and read the links.
Bill & Jenny - 2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K, 36 ft, Ford V10 - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:34 AM   #6
fresh water antifreeze

if you have a drain at the lowest point in the fresh water tank,

open it and drain the tank and leave it open., i see no need for

one other thing to do is write what you did in the fall and reverse it in the spring.

sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:42 AM   #7
Drain the fresh water tank. Do NOT put anti-freeze in it. Then use the city water valve to push anti-freeze into the lines until you see pink fluid coming out of the faucet inside. Every rig is a little different as to how to do this. Read up on it.

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #8
Originally Posted by sprayman View Post
if you have a drain at the lowest point in the fresh water tank, open it and drain the tank and leave it open., i see no need for antifreeze.
one other thing to do is write what you did in the fall and reverse it in the spring.

For Wisconsin winter storage I simply gravity drain everything in the fresh water system, (including the WH tank and fresh water tank).
I have never used antifreeze in the fresh water system or in the water tank... (and I do not "blow out" the water system).
However I do use a cup full of RV antifreeze in each of the 4 P-traps...
and I run 2 cups full into/through the drain pump of the Splendide washer.

BTW that is not a recommendation...(just what I do).
'96 Safari, (mine since '01)
mel s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #9

Most trailers/coaches have low points along the way in the water system. However, there are often places in the water lines, both supply and drain, that do NOT have drains. Typically,

1) you run all the faucets using the on board water pump until you don't get any more water.

2) Turn off the water pump ( I also generally pull the circuit breaker on the pump as well which will prevent the pump running dry if someone accidentally turns on the pump prior to re-filling with water).

3) Hook a up one of the fittings to your water supply line that allows you to pressurize with air pressure. And it doesn't take a lot of air pressure, maybe 10 lbs or so.

4) Run through all the faucets, toilet, shower, outside shower again until you just get air.

5) I detach the inside shower line at the wall, disconnect my water pump supply and pressure line as well.

6) Remove the drain plug on the hot water heater and drain the water, leave the drain plug out. (turn off the electric hot water heater circuit breaker, and tape over the propane hot water heater switch to prevent it from being turned on with no water in the hot water tank)

7) Remove all the low point drain plugs as well.

8) Drain grey and black water tanks and let set open for awhile.

9) And here's the only place I personally use the RV antifreeze. Pour about a cup or so in each sink drain trap, as well as in the shower drain trap. I also pour some in the grey and black tanks so it works it way to the drain valves, preventing drain water buildup there from draining.

10) After a day or so of sitting, I typically loosely reinstall the low point water drain plugs to keep any critters out over the winter.

To put back in service, (in no particular order) tighten the low point drain plugs, reattach the shower line, water lines to pump, reinstall hot water heater plug, fill with fresh water, turn on water pump circuit breaker, run all the lines (both hot and cold) until you get only water coming out, then and only then, turn on the hot water heater electric CB and remove tape from propane hot water heater switch, verify that both are working correctly. Re-drain grey and black tanks and you are on your way.

Typically doing it this way I use less than 1 gallon of RV antifreeze to winterize my coach. If you do it by dumping RV antifreeze in your fresh water tank and running it through the water system, you will use 5 to 10 gallons of antifreeze and will have to rinse and flush multiple times to get rid of it. It's supposedly safe, but I still don't want to be drinking it!

Hope this helps!
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
Some folks get by with air because they put a large compressor on the system and let it run for a half hour or more. It takes a lot of air, technique, and some luck dry out a plumbing system.

The rest of us blow out most of the water, or not, then fill the plumbing with food additive grade antifreeze affectionately known as "the pink stuff". If one does it correctly there is usually a way to do it without putting it in the fresh tank fill.

Our old unit had a port in the panel of valves, the current one has a standpipe type tube and valve at the pump inlet. I'm sure there are other ways. The point is to use the pump to push the antifreeze through the system displacing all the water so it gets in the pump as well. The hot water tank has a bypass arrangement to avoid the need to fill it with antifreeze. I pull the plug and set it in the area around the heater so it does not get lost. YMMV.

I get a jug of antifreeze plumbed into the pump inlet with the valve to the tank closed and the HW tank bypassed and the system is pressurized. I then open *each*the valve long enough to get antifreeze flowing through into the sinks, toilet and shower with a bit of extra to make sure the traps have antifreeze in them. That includes each HW bypass valve and the fresh blocking valve to make sure there is antifreeze in the ball valve core. Valves are what usually get broken because they can trap water. I leave gravity drain twist valves mostly open for the same reason. Part way closed lets any water pass through instead of getting trapped. Look at ball valves at your favorite hardware store if you need a picture. Push pull plunger valves do not have that problem.

In the spring I push the antifreeze out with air or the city water fill before filling the fresh tank. Then I sanitize the system as the bleach mix gets the residual out of the system. The stuff has a musty taste if I do not.

FWIW - the antifreeze used is food grade propylene glycol. I used to have a choice of mix or straight antifreeze for about a dollar difference. My choice was the straight stuff because any water in the system would still end up a reasonable blend. Last year I did not have a choice and looking this year I see blends with glycol and denatured alcohol already cut with water as the only common choice. Food grade propylene glycol has jumped up to $20 or so a gallon in 5 gallon buckets. In my mind it is even more important to get the water mostly out first as dilution could be an issue with the pre blended stuff. It also means I will pay better attention to my sink & shower traps.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #11
I've never put antifreez in the fresh tank. If you have a valve by the water pump that lets you switch to a hose end, go that route. Just drain the fresh tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131120-00484.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	103517  

2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote