Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #1

Any Electrical Gurus out there

I am a newbie, there I said it. HA! While putting my new rig thru its paces for a long weekend at a close by campground, I noticed my electric tounge jack was operating in either the On position or Off position. Didnt give it much thought as I am getting thru the learning curve. I installed a battery doctor disconnect to prevent the battery drain and then took it out on Saturday for one night for another practice run and to install some other mods. The inline fuse blew the 30amp blade to the tounge jack so I had to replace it just to be able to unhook from it. The next day, I hook up just fine drive the TT to the storage yard and whamo! the new fuse was blown again. I can either carry stock in the fuse company for the next few years or get to the source here. The TT is new and is under warranty. I could simply blow a half day by taking to the dealer but I would rather try to fix this myself, less hassle. I respectfully lien on some of you with any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #2

If under warranty if you touch it you could lose your whole warranty

Old 09-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #3

My jack is hooked directly to the battery with its own in line fuse. If you are blowing that fuse, then there is something wrong with the jack or the wiring going to it.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
To blow a 12 VDC fuse it generally is from a short to ground in most cases.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #5

Off hand I wonder if the way you added the battery doctor created a situation where you are charging the house battery through the jack wiring when you try to run the jack. That could draw a lot of current long enough to melt something like a fuse. ;-) It does not take a very large difference in voltage to draw a lot of current that way.

I'd draw a schematic of the wiring to see what was going on. Another way to diagnose the issue is to try the jack with the cable disconnected from the vehicle. If it runs properly with the Doctor on/off then pull the house battery cable, connect the vehicle and try that. If it also works that way then you are shorting the battery feeds with the jack control because you have a feed path from both batteries.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #6

First off just go back to stock and check everything again.

Also from what I remember the power tongue jacks normaly will use a slow blow fuse instead of a standard fuse. They use slow blow fuses because of current draw issues. A fuse will blow from a ground short or current draw due to low voltage.

So either you battery doctor is causing a issue or you have a bad tongue jack.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As noted: Jack hooks direct to battery not via cut off, Good reasons for this, and it has it's own fuse.

This we know. the problem is "post fuse" (That is the jack side of the fuse) now there are several possible problems.....

Start by tracing, and following, and viewing, the wire that comes off teh fuse holder all the way to the jack.. ANY spots where the insulation is chaffed off need to be sealed (Not just taped but SEALED) and taped over... Tape it well and seal with GOOP or Flex Seal or Silicon "Rescue tape".

If you do not find it then visit the dealer cause the rest of the suspects are inside the jack and that's a dealer issue.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #8

Normal for the jack to stay hot. If it didn't blow fuses before your work, its something with your wiring. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #9

Thanks for all of the replies, my battery has a hot lead running directly to a block (located on the frame). From this a separate hot wire runs directly to the jack with an inline 30 AMP fuse. The battery disconnect I installed is a blade style disconnect that only interrupts the negative lead. A negative wire runs from the house block on the frame to the battery. This I disconnected from the battery, connected to the new switch and then ran a new negative to the battery. I do agree that it would be worthwhile to remove the disconnect and see what happens. But I still beg the ?. How in the world was the jack running with the toggle switch in the off position? I believe the jack is bad and could be backfeeding power and causing the fuse to correctly blow?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #10

On my electric jack, the ON/OFF switch is for the quarter globe light and does not affect/control the jack.

Do you know if the fuse is blowing immediately or after a while?

Are you also sure you replaced with not only the same amp rating fuse but the same type as well?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
The on/off switch is for the little light. I haven't seen one yet that has an on/off for operating the jack. Not saying they don't exist... just that I've never seen one.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #12

Im a moron. HA! I will concede the switch is for the light. Never thought of that. Can't see the trees through the forest. The fuse does not blown until I am hooked up and 7 pin is connected.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can the jack be bad: YES
Can it "Backfeed power" NO.. That would be impossible.

Can it blow the fust: That is why they put in a fuse so YES.

Sounds like you have jack problems.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
Im a moron. HA! I will concede the switch is for the light. Never thought of that. Can't see the trees through the forest. The fuse does not blown until I am hooked up and 7 pin is connected.
If I understand it the fuse blows when the 7 pin is connected and the battery ground is open. That would sound like the vehicle battery line is feeding the whole trailer including the jack when the power is applied to the jack.

My thought is that opening the ground on the trailer battery takes it out of the circuit but the rest of the trailer has ground and power coming in through the jack supply wire and chassis ground wire from the 7 pin to the chassis. Combine the load of the trailer and the jack motor and the fuse goes.

If I wanted to open the trailer battery circuit I would change the wiring so the jack only worked off the tow vehicle supply. How often do you move the jack when not connecting or disconnecting??? OTOH the tow vehicle battery will always be charged and the alternator will top it back off after coupling/decoupling the trailer. YMMV.

Tags
electrical