Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 03:50 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Post 9 blue light photo. I would move the gas can somewhere else for safety reasons.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Post 9 blue light photo. I would move the gas can somewhere else for safety reasons.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
I figured someone would comment on that!

It is empty, but I still moved it earlier this morning. It just didn't look right sitting next to the potential spark-source.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
I am currently (no pun intended) hooked up to a 45 year old house, on a 20A breaker, with no grounding. When the house was built, all outlets only had two flat holes, no third hole for the ground wire.
You may also want to check to see if the service to the house is connected to a ground rod. Over time they sometimes get disconnected from the ground rod and the electricity searches for another next best ground source. Sometimes it is the plumbing but it could be more deadly if it is you standing in a puddle or in wet grass.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
You may also want to check to see if the service to the house is connected to a ground rod. Over time they sometimes get disconnected from the ground rod and the electricity searches for another next best ground source. Sometimes it is the plumbing but it could be more deadly if it is you standing in a puddle or in wet grass.
I am pretty sure this house is NOT grounded. Which is why I did the makeshift grounding rod at the trailer.

I should/could put a ground rod near the garage and ground the receptacle, but I don't plan on being here much longer, maybe another month, then we move out and hit the road full time.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #19

Thing to consider...

Most commercial places should be properly wired.

Granted older homes are not often.

So if you wish to make an emergency ground it can be as simple as a length of suitable wire such as number 10.

On one end a lug to attach to your rv or you can connect it to the ground pin on a plug to plug in or some other connection.

On the other end attach a suitable clip as they make them from test lead size ( too small) to welder size ( too large).

You clip it to a water pipe and you are good.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #20

I have the same problem with mine but only get shocked if the ground is wet... I have been checking all the wires as I go thru my "remodel" I think I will try this ground rod method see if that gives me a fix!
Good job! Happy Trails!!
Old 05-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #21

My wire is the same size as the battery-to-chassis ground wire. I think it is 6. I hose clamped it onto the top of the spike.

The other end is attached to a set of needle-nose vice grips, which have a large nut welded onto the handle (my first fly-tying vise, before I got a job and could afford a real one). Slipped the bare wire into the nut, and threaded in a slightly smaller bolt so the wire was pinched firmly between nut and bolt.

Drove the spike into the ground, and just clamped the vise-grips onto whatever I could find that was bare metal attached to chassis.

I think I will throw this into my "Electric" storage bin, and have it just in case we find a spot where my blue light won't light up.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you read the TECH INFORMATION link may help you out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I figured someone would comment on that! It is empty, but I still moved it earlier this morning. It just didn't look right sitting next to the potential spark-source.
It's all good
Old 05-09-2016, 12:15 AM   #24

Quote:
I figured someone would comment on that!

It is empty, but I still moved it earlier this morning. It just didn't look right sitting next to the potential spark-source.
FWIW, a full gas can will NOT explode, an empty one WILL! Only fumes ignite, never liquid gas.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:20 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
FWIW, a full gas can will NOT explode, an empty one WILL! Only fumes ignite, never liquid gas.
Yep I was thinking the same thing but decide to let it be. Just like the Beatles song.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #26

Go to any home center (past Lowes employee ) get a grounding rod, clamp, and a few feet of solid copper wire (sold by the foot at Lowes ) and ground that outlet, period !!!!!

Tags
shocks