Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #407

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoorider View Post
Thank you for the post, I had decided on Winnebago over outdoor RV because of the weight difference. I thought Winnebago quality to be a good compromise between the junk models out there and top end lime Northwood, Outdoor and Lance. Reading this here helped me eliminate the Minnie Plus. I'm retired and don't have $45000 to throw away. For some odd reason the west coast manufacturers like the three I mentioned seem to put together higher quality units than the Amish made junk from Indiana.
The DW liked the look of the Winnie interiors. However we moved onto Northwood, Outdoor RV and for a while Lance. We set the Lance aside for lack of insulation and cost competitiveness with NW or ORV.

I just showed the DW the above pictures and the response from Winnebago, she confidently said passing on the Winnebago was a good decision.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 05:24 PM   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwron View Post
Harold,

Are you a member of Good Sam or other national RV club? Sometimes they will intercede on your behalf and help get repairs done.

Best of Luck. What does your extended warranty company have to say?

WWR
I am a member of Good Sam and have a subscription to Trailer Life, they also intercede with subscriber problems.

Haven't contacted the extended warranty people, but have checked my policy. It does cover fresh water systems.

Thanks

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #409

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
The DW liked the look of the Winnie interiors. However we moved onto Northwood, Outdoor RV and for a while Lance. We set the Lance aside for lack of insulation and cost competitiveness with NW or ORV.

I just showed the DW the above pictures and the response from Winnebago, she confidently said passing on the Winnebago was a good decision.

I would point out that there are many satisfied Minnie owners on this forum. We've had our 2101 FBS for three seasons with no problems at all.
timhunnicutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhunnicutt View Post
I would point out that there are many satisfied Minnie owners on this forum. We've had our 2101 FBS for three seasons with no problems at all.
Likewise our 2101DS has been excellent. Planning another long trip in May.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #411

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhunnicutt View Post
Winnebago and Airstream are the two oldest manufacturers that I was aware of, and I first camped across the US 48 years ago. The more shocking that for such an obvious manufacturing defect, offering only a replacement tank would worry me.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:02 AM   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
Likewise our 2101DS has been excellent. Planning another long trip in May.
And likewise with our 2401RG. We've owned Thor, Keystone, Forrest River, Jayco and three Winnebago products over the years. None of the three Winnies (one coach, two travel trailers) troubled us with even minor discrepancies. We sympathize with the tank issue and certainly hope your issue is resolved, but as for us, we're quite sold on the Winnebago brand...
Old 03-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #413

On this forum, we've seen a cases where Winnebago screwed up and put some "lemons" out for sale. But, you can't judge the whole production line when you can find similar problems with just about every manufacturer. IMHO, that's why the forums can be really helpful to folks that are shopping. If current owners check in with their praises as well as their complaints, then a more accurate "picture" of the situation can be established.

But, in the case of the dropped water tank, I think Winnebago should step up to the plate and cover labor costs for installing the new tank. A water tank should not fail like that after just a couple of years......I would expect it to last a lot longer if it is properly installed with any sense of legitimate engineering and design. And I would encourage the OP to complain to Winnebago that his insurance plan shouldn't have to cover the cost when it is obviously a faulty installation done at the factory........or at least, Winnebago should invite the OP to bring the trailer to have it evaluated and at least offer to do the labor at a very, very low rate!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:42 PM   #414

Oh....one other thing. As we all know, folks are always more apt to respond or advertise their displeasure with a product or report problems. What we need is more owners to give feedback on their units after they have been in use for years......everyone is usually happy with their RV when they first get it! We're in our 4th year with our trailer, and I can say that it really seems to be holding up quite well i.e. everything keeps working! It is getting time to repaint the stabilizers and the black frame that shows under the front of the trailer. The fit & trim of the interior is still as good as the day we bought it. Just last week, I finally removed the heating system floor grates and cleaned out dirt that had fallen in.....it was overdue. The fridge, furnace and hot water heater still do their jobs....never had any problems with the fridge not being cold enough! As mentioned, any of the metal surfaces painted black could use so cleaning up and some new paint.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:49 PM   #415

Now a question! Any Winnebago trailer owners (especially 2201DS or larger models) use the Andersen WD hitch? I purchased a 4 point Equalizer when I bought our trailer and it has performed very well. But, the grease free Andersen system is really getting very attractive to me, especially since the hitch weights less. I'm getting a little tired of dealing with greasing the hitch ball and the joints where the bars are attached....then worrying about covering the ball when storing, etc. So, I'm torn between replacing the Equalizer with the Andersen hitch or the Blue Ox Sway Pro. Yes.....I've read many of the threads about the Andersen at iRV2 as well as the Trailer Life forums.....so I don't need to be referred to those forums and posts. I'm just looking for input from Winnebago Minnie owners....and especially Winnebago owners towing 6,000 lbs. or more. Thanks in advance for any replies!!
Old 03-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #416

Winnebago should step up and fix the tank. Unless the metal rusted through due to traveling in salty​ conditions, etc. (which doesn't​ seem to be the case), this is obviously a mishap on the manufacturing line. A water tank should stay put for the life of the coach and not 2-3 years.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:28 AM   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Winnebago should step up and fix the tank. Unless the metal rusted through due to traveling in salty​ conditions, etc. (which doesn't​ seem to be the case), this is obviously a mishap on the manufacturing line. A water tank should stay put for the life of the coach and not 2-3 years.
I 100% agree with you. It is obviously a manufacturing defect. I hope Winnebago reads these posts.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:16 AM   #418

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
I 100% agree with you. It is obviously a manufacturing defect. I hope Winnebago reads these posts.
I hope they are reading this thread, but I think not. Still only offering a tank and today I requested the tank.

My reasoning is summer is coming up and that is our biggest travel period (DW is an educator, I'm retired). The issues I had with getting the front cap replaced turned into eight months and was completed days before our trip last June, and still had a leak issue (fault of the repairing dealer). If I can get a jump on this issue, just maybe it will not affect our summer travel plans. Going roundy-round with Winnebago in getting the tank, installation, correct securing of the floating brace and ancillary items could kill this years summer vacation. I have an appointment on 4/13 at the selling dealership for this repair. I do hope they can get this repair completed before Memorial Day for another trip. Hopefully, the tank will arrive soon thus cutting repair time. We use every extended chance we get (summer, TG, Christmas, spring break) to take a good vacation. For this spring break, I will remove the remaining belly material and take an in-close vacation to Desert Hot Springs without the fresh water tank. I will have to eat the $100 deductible on this issue if it means our plans aren't screwed up too much.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:29 PM   #419

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd75mac View Post
I hope they are reading this thread, but I think not. Still only offering a tank and today I requested the tank.

My reasoning is summer is coming up and that is our biggest travel period (DW is an educator, I'm retired). The issues I had with getting the front cap replaced turned into eight months and was completed days before our trip last June, and still had a leak issue (fault of the repairing dealer). If I can get a jump on this issue, just maybe it will not affect our summer travel plans. Going roundy-round with Winnebago in getting the tank, installation, correct securing of the floating brace and ancillary items could kill this years summer vacation. I have an appointment on 4/13 at the selling dealership for this repair. I do hope they can get this repair completed before Memorial Day for another trip. Hopefully, the tank will arrive soon thus cutting repair time. We use every extended chance we get (summer, TG, Christmas, spring break) to take a good vacation. For this spring break, I will remove the remaining belly material and take an in-close vacation to Desert Hot Springs without the fresh water tank. I will have to eat the $100 deductible on this issue if it means our plans aren't screwed up too much.
This too shall pass! [emoji6]

It really should be fairly easy and a straightforward fix for the shop. Hopefully it goes smoothly and they get you back on the road quickly with a permanent fix.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Now a question! Any Winnebago trailer owners (especially 2201DS or larger models) use the Andersen WD hitch? I purchased a 4 point Equalizer when I bought our trailer and it has performed very well. But, the grease free Andersen system is really getting very attractive to me, especially since the hitch weights less. I'm getting a little tired of dealing with greasing the hitch ball and the joints where the bars are attached....then worrying about covering the ball when storing, etc. So, I'm torn between replacing the Equalizer with the Andersen hitch or the Blue Ox Sway Pro. Yes.....I've read many of the threads about the Andersen at iRV2 as well as the Trailer Life forums.....so I don't need to be referred to those forums and posts. I'm just looking for input from Winnebago Minnie owners....and especially Winnebago owners towing 6,000 lbs. or more. Thanks in advance for any replies!!
I too am interested in the Anderson hitch. I read that one of the big issues is the Anderson hitch has a hard time transferring enough weight when the hitch weight gets over 6-700 lbs. The light weight of the Anderson hitch is certainly attractive after lugging that Equal-i-zer hitch around and dealing with those heavy bars. They sure do make it look easy on their videos.

Tags
tow, winnebago