Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #1

Any new owners of Winnebago towables????

Over a year ago, I joined this forum to research and later, report on our experiences with our Winnebago trailer. So, I'm wondering if there are new owners following this forum that would like to share their experiences and opinions about their trailer and any modifications. We've been very pleaded with our Winnie so far, and we only had to make a few small adjustment/repairs to it:
1. Kitchen faucet had to be tightened.
2. Bathroom outlet under sink had to be fixed....reattached. I will probably replace it with a standard box and outlet this fall.
3. Replaced outlet for outdoor kitchen fridge. New box with standard residential outlet.

Modifications:
1. Installed led reading light on side of wardrobe next to the bed.
2. Replaced mattress with a much better full size mattress from Sam's Club.
3. Added wood blocks and strips of wood to entertainment center wall to make a laptop/magazine rack in the bedroom area.
4. Did the same as #3 to make a small spice rack above kitchen drawers.
5. Insulated water lines where accessible.
6. Made a storage tube for Equalizer sway bars...attached to trailer bumper.
7. Had new foam put in the dinette seat cushions.....so much better for lounging at the table....and it made the DW so happy!

So....any other Winnebago towable owners want to check in?? I'd like to hear from you!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #2

We have had ours since May, two trips so far. Had only one problem, a small water leak under the kitchen sink. It was an easy fix. We love the trailer so far and it's good to see at least one other person has bought one.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #3

We just bought a bright red 2101DS. We're towing it with a new Durango. Our maiden voyage was 2 weeks ago. We went 2 hours north to a nice campground in Venice, Florida. So far the only changes we've made is getting a foam topper for the mattress. Hope it works. We had to buy a thin one, because in our model, the bed jackknifes to a sofa. We liked the quality of the winnebagos better than other trailers we saw. It's just us and 2 boston terriers, so the bunkhouse plans didn't work. We like having the 2 sofas. We are total novices to RV'ing so we were a bit stressed out, but everything was fine. I have to say the TV had a really nice picture. We had a couple of rainy days inside during our trip.
joycev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

We purchased our 2451 BHS model in April of 2013. We have taken 'Greenie' out on several trips, and have not had any problems. We are impressed with the quality of build, but as our first TT purchase, we don't have anything to compare it to. We did upgrade our TV after 3 trips, our 1500 Suburban while it had plenty of power- was overloaded, and we feel much better towing it now with a 2500 GMC Sierra. We have not seen another like it in all our travels, throughout AZ, Southern CA, and Western CO. If we were to do any mods, it would be exactly the ones the OP listed. Happy Trails to all!
EJP510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nice to hear there are more Winnie owners out there. I have the 2015 2201DS purchased in April this year. Towing with an F-250
Next trip will be our 12th this year including 2 weeks together in PA State Parks.
Mostly camp in state parks and have only one complaint - the water pump is quite noisy. I tried to insulate between the floor and pump and put foam pipe insulation on the lines around it but no luck. Everything else has been great. Used to enjoy a 19' expandable but am glad I made the move. Still waiting to see another Winnie in a campground and have only seen one on the road while traveling - where are you?!!
Fritz908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #6

Nice to hear from all of you! I'll agree that the water pump is noisy, but we usually opt for at least water and electric., We're located in North Ridge ville OH which is about 15 minutes west of the Cleveland airport. We'll be on the road in a couple of weeks to Salisbury MD, then to VA to see Mount Vernon, Monticello and over to Lurray. We still haven't seen any other Winnies in our travels, so it will be quite special to meet up with another owner when it eventually happens.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz908 View Post
Nice to hear there are more Winnie owners out there. I have the 2015 2201DS purchased in April this year. Towing with an F-250
Next trip will be our 12th this year including 2 weeks together in PA State Parks.
Mostly camp in state parks and have only one complaint - the water pump is quite noisy. I tried to insulate between the floor and pump and put foam pipe insulation on the lines around it but no luck. Everything else has been great. Used to enjoy a 19' expandable but am glad I made the move. Still waiting to see another Winnie in a campground and have only seen one on the road while traveling - where are you?!!
I do not know how you tried to insulate between the pump and floor but the best way that I ever found was to take a foam kneeling pad or some such foam pad and glue a piece of luan or similar board to the top and then glue the pad to the floor. Let the glue thoroughly cure and then put the pump on the top board. This will move the pump completely off the floor. In addition if the lines attached to the pump are the PEX lines get some flexible 1/2" food grade hose and install that between the pump and the PEX lines. I generally get a 4' piece for each side and then coil up the excess. This will allow the flexible hose to absord some of the noise. I would love to put the foam pad under my pump but on the new OR they mounted it on the floor under the trash can drawer and there is not enough clearance. I am going to have to move it to fix the noise problem.
wva3185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #8

Winnebago towables

Saw these posts & was beginning to believe no one else purchased one. We bought our 29Rl in Feb 2013 & have no notable issues with anything breaking or not working. I did however get rid of the trail Express tires, did not trust them at all. Replaced with Maxxis "E" & a noticeable difference in handling. We started out with a Reese DC hitch from our previous rig & it did OK, but when coming out of Florida last year in front of a major storm & gusting winds there were some white knuckle moments. Called Sean at Propride & new hitch has solved all towing issues. Made a couple of mods, one was to lower the light switches in bath & bedroom so wife could reach them easier. Found switches at camping center & wasn't too much trouble placing them on the walls. The other mod was to make a holder for the sewer hose other than the rear bumper as we had a rust problem in our previous rig. Went to a big box store & purchased a 6" x 8ft fence post cover & placed a hinged door on one end & a top cap on the other end, then fastened to the under belly next to the sewer line. The rear bumper space now holds 2 pieces of a plastic pipe cut in half to act as a tray for the sewer hose. We have had our camper to S. Florida a few times, then to TN, MD, PA, & the rigors of I-85 & I-95.
These 2 roads will test the stamina of any camper or vehicle. We really love our Winnie & hope to have it for a long time.
anthonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #9

We have a 2012 Winnebago One 26RK. We have had several travel trailers, and the Winnie is our favorite. No issues whatsoever.
GWDawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #10

We purchased a Winnebago/Sunnybrook Remington 2200DS. Other than adding a mattress topper to the bed, we haven't done much else. PLANNING to install some LED reading lights to the bed, and an LED light strip under the awning.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #11

Winnebago towables

So we bought a new 2014 Winnebago One 29RL from LaMesa RV in Tucson back in Feb 2014 while we were in the area with the Covette. Obviously we needed to return to Colorado to get the F250 to bring it back home. LaMesa was great with the "firehose" how-things-work seminar! Most importantly, they returned my phone calls, when I could not get instant help. DO NOT call Winnebago since the Motor home folks know nothing about towables. And the towable folks didn't help at all when I asked if I could buy a "shop" manual because the Owner's Manual is at best TOO generic. I'm anal about details. For example: what size lug wrench is needed? LaMesa answered the question. SO how much torque on the lug nuts? Winnebago said that I needed to call the mfg of the frame since they put the wheels ( made in China) on and shipped it to Winnebago as a sub-assembly. I asked for a diagram of the water system to know which way the valves should be set for normal and winterizing mode. LaMesa didn't cover that in the "firehose" class. Enough complaining about documentation. These sites are more valuable than the manufacturer !!
At any rate we strongly like ( love is overrated here !! ) our W-One. Like everyone else we bought a memory mattress pad. Added the MaxxAir vent covers. trying to figure out the pros and cons of a cover. Haven't used the fire place yet and definitely won't need it at the Palm Creek Golf and RV resort in Casa Grande AZ next Jan-Mar. It pulls nicely with the F250 in Tow/haul mode. My DW hasn't filled every nook and cranny YET. All systems functioning perfectly. Now I'm off to research connecting a Directv dish for 3 months. I will try to keep up with the Winnebago towable threads. I think it will be my BEST source for info. Thanks Everyone who contributes. Dale In Colorado
GESDES0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #12

We've had ours for a year and a half and have towed about 10,000 miles. It's great and we love it!
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESDES0923 View Post
So we bought a new 2014 Winnebago One 29RL from LaMesa RV in Tucson back in Feb 2014 while we were in the area with the Covette. Obviously we needed to return to Colorado to get the F250 to bring it back home. LaMesa was great with the "firehose" how-things-work seminar! Most importantly, they returned my phone calls, when I could not get instant help. DO NOT call Winnebago since the Motor home folks know nothing about towables. And the towable folks didn't help at all when I asked if I could buy a "shop" manual because the Owner's Manual is at best TOO generic. I'm anal about details. For example: what size lug wrench is needed? LaMesa answered the question. SO how much torque on the lug nuts? Winnebago said that I needed to call the mfg of the frame since they put the wheels ( made in China) on and shipped it to Winnebago as a sub-assembly. I asked for a diagram of the water system to know which way the valves should be set for normal and winterizing mode. LaMesa didn't cover that in the "firehose" class. Enough complaining about documentation. These sites are more valuable than the manufacturer !!
At any rate we strongly like ( love is overrated here !! ) our W-One. Like everyone else we bought a memory mattress pad. Added the MaxxAir vent covers. trying to figure out the pros and cons of a cover. Haven't used the fire place yet and definitely won't need it at the Palm Creek Golf and RV resort in Casa Grande AZ next Jan-Mar. It pulls nicely with the F250 in Tow/haul mode. My DW hasn't filled every nook and cranny YET. All systems functioning perfectly. Now I'm off to research connecting a Directv dish for 3 months. I will try to keep up with the Winnebago towable threads. I think it will be my BEST source for info. Thanks Everyone who contributes. Dale In Colorado
I'll certainly agree with you that the owner's manuals are too generic and need to be rewritten for specific trailers.

We're just finishing a two week trip to MD and VA and head home tomorrow. The trailer has been fine...we continue to really enjoy the outside kitchen. I'll definitely be adding a powered fan unit to the bedroom vent. And, I'm debating about putting better tires on before a very long trip out west next summer (Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glaciar National Parks. I've been keeping an eye on the tires and they seem to be fine, so far. But I have a little nagging thought about them and a 5k mile trip.

Glad to hear that you are happy with your Winnebago One as I haven't heard much from other One owners. In fact, the one really negative review of a Winnebago towable was for a One, but I hope that was an isolated incident.

Good luck with your future travels and I hope you'll keep us informed.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:41 AM   #14

We did 5300 miles to the Colorado plateau and we now have over 10,000 miles on the trailer. Only tire issue is some unusual wearing on the left rear. Not sure if that's due to a long stretch of crosswind we endured or some other issue.

I would do three things before your trip:
Balance the tires
Adjust the brakes
Pack the wheel bearings (mine had very little grease)

I also take the TV down before long trips and lay it on the bed.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, winnebago