Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Mez

Any opinions or experience with these trailers?

Keystone - Cougar X Lite 32RBK, or for that matter Keystone TT's in general? I have no experience to compare to since I will be purchasing my first TT this upcoming Spring.

Or the other one is - Forest River Heritage Glen 312Qbud? Even something general info wise about Forest River is not specific to the TT I mention.

Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
hi!

first question everyone will want to know is, what is your tow vehicle?

momto6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #3

General consensus on those brands is "good value". They aren't cheap, and their quality is good for the money. Just make sure you spend a few nights in it shortly after delivery to work out any bugs, they'll generally stand well behind build quality.

What's your Tow Vehicle??
Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Mez

I have a 2014 Ram Express Quaald cab with a 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear ration, my payload is 1488, and my towing capacity is 10,150.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Mez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez View Post
I have a 2014 Ram Express Quaald cab with a 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear ration, my payload is 1488, and my towing capacity is 10,150.
Sorry meant to say Quad cab! Thanks
Old 11-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #6

If you ask me, from everything I've read to date, Keystone and "ultra-lite" used together is a big red flag. For starters, any ultra-lite has less substantial construction. They cut corners wherever they can to reduce weight. The result is a less durable product. As for Keystone, I have read a lot of people say to stay away from it. I've met owners who have said the same thing.

If that unit has the frame I-beams that are fabricated from 3 pieces of sheet steel welded together to *look* like an I-beam, I'd stay far away from it. I'd have to check my notes, but I'm pretty sure it does. Those frames are used on 5 or so brands/models out there and they have excessive flex in them. I have first hand experience with one....
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Mez

Ouch! To much flex cant be good for them in tow!!

How about Forest River? Anyone have much experience with them?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #8

I've owned 3 Keystone TT. A Springdale was my first. Traded that for a Cougar. Thought I wanted a 5th wheel and got a Copper Canyon. Now I have a 2012 Outback 277 RL. I've never had any problems with any of them. I've always liked the quality and the features of the Keystones. I think the difference between the Cougar and the X lite is where they are built, X lite is east coast and cougar is west coast. The frames are all steel I-beams, even my Springdale witch is a lower end model had the I-beam frame.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
We have lived, full time in our Keystone Outback for 7 years now. It is a good trailer for the buck.

I have asked more than a hundred Outback owners if they were happy with their rigs. Every one was. Not one complained beyond minor problems.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #10

We have used a Tundra SR5 Extended Cab (5.7L, 380hp/401 ft lb torque, 10100 lb tow capacity, 1700 lb carry capacity, ARE full cap) towing an Outback 268RL (30', 6800 lb dry, no longer made in this length) for the last 3 years. The TT tows well with an equalizing hitch. No major problems yet. Several minor trim/fit issues fixed on the first (and only) warranty visit.

The Tundra barely knows it's there.

Best Wishes--Carl and Margo
Atlanta, GA
Old 11-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #11

So far no complaints or problems with our 248RKS Keystone Bullet. No sway and easy to pull with our Ram 1500, Hemi.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Until this year, we had a 2010 Keystone Bullet 250RKS. No warranty claims, ever, and we loved it. We also towed with a Tundra, and never had problems with that, either.

This year, dear spouse decided we needed a MH, and to keep spouse happy we now have a motor home! Gotta keep spouse happy!
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamtns View Post
Until this year, we had a 2010 Keystone Bullet 250RKS. No warranty claims, ever, and we loved it. We also towed with a Tundra, and never had problems with that, either.

This year, dear spouse decided we needed a MH, and to keep spouse happy we now have a motor home! Gotta keep spouse happy!
Same song, 2nd verse--Only "I" get to keep "my" truck because it is useful to carry her kayak to the water. No complaints--only the facts.

Best Wishes--Carl
Atlanta, GA
Old 11-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hey...You Tundra owners...I got 2014 Limited on order...Had to ordered it because I wanted the "factory" tow mirrors. Can't wait...My DW will love not having to attach the portable / after-market tow mirrors we have used the last 9 seasons on our 4Runner.

Back to the original post...Any time a RV maker proclaims a product. Lite, Super lite, ultra light, I take it as two things: They want to market it to a customer who has a smaller tow vehicle, that wants to buy more RV than his tow vehicle can tow and get to a price point of a customers needs. It may be a combination of both of these.

So you may get a less ridged frame, cabinets of lower quality, lower quality wood trim, interior design layouts on a more basic look.

And there are also some higher end brands where they have gone the extra mile to use construction materials and designs that keep the down the weight. But these units can be 150% to 300% more $$$$ than a "lite" RV.

For the most part "You get what you pay for"

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote