Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #15

John, thanks for replying to my post. With my camera, I can back the bar right into the HA receiver without a hitch (pun intended)--so no problems there. I also managed to survive the learning curve for adjusting the angle of the receiver by using the torque bars. One thing though, when you release the receiver with the latch you mentioned, and then slide the hitch to either side, it also changes the angle of the receiver. To see this, I removed the bar from my TV, and manually inserted it in the hitch receiver, then I slid the hitch back and forth. This makes it easy to see what's happening. In my case, this was forcing the receiver to no longer be parallel with the bar from my truck, and the end of the bar would catch on the inside of the receiver.

When my TV and trailer are on a flat surface, I manage the hitching process fairly well, now that I understand how it works. But I inadvertently unhitched one time in an awkward location on my driveway. My driveway has a slight high spot, and the front wheels of my TV were just in front of the apex. As the bar entered the hitch during hookup, the front of my vehicle was high, so the bar angled down slightly. As I eased into the receiver, my front wheels came down, and changed the angle of the bar so that it was no longer parallel to the receiver. Essentially, I had to adjust the angle of the receiver at the same time I was backing into the hitch. It took me two hours to figure out how to work around the changes, because I didn't understand how it worked at the time.

My fear is that I don't have an opportunity to cherry pick camp sites before I get there, and I know they won't all be flat. I'm worried that I'll unhitch somewhere, and then have to agonize over reconnecting. I haven't pulled a big trailer with a standard hitch, but my experience with ball/hitches on boats and utility trailers has been infinitely simpler than hitching up with the Hensley.

I wish I had more experience towing travel trailers, because I'd really like to resolve if this is the right hitch for me. I certainly haven't had sway issues, so that's great. But hitching up, so far, has been somewhat stressful, as has braking (I'm using Hensley's brake controller, and I have it's setting maxed out). But there are times when the trailer inches forward and slides to one side when I have to brake moderately aggressive, and this pulls the vehicle to the right or left. I'm really uncomfortable with that.

Now that I've aired my concerns, I have to admit that HA owners seems to be delighted with the hitch, so my problems appear to be personal incompetence.
ward459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #16

I find that how you unhitch makes hitching up easier.

Raise the trailer with the tongue jack a couple inches

Lousen the spring bars until they just stop moving down then tighten one turn

Pull the pins undo the latches and pull forward

This assumes that you have the screw jacks for the spring bars.

When hitching up if you unhitch at a angle, hitch at the same angle

I have hitched at a 30deg+ horizontal angle to the trailer with a back up camera and backup mirrors like the small fedex vans have.

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Joe O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I have also found that putting just a dab of grease on the stinger wells it to slide in just a little easier.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
I have also found that putting just a dab of grease on the stinger wells it to slide in just a little easier.
Snow ski wax works as well and much cleaner.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #19

@Russell: thanks for the wax tip, I'll give that a try. Given how much I have to handle the bar, it would be a bummer for it to be greasy.
ward459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I love this place. Great idea on the wax.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #21

41 years of camping and 10 years with our Hensly. Wish we had bought it sooner. No better way to travel in all weather and emergency stops. Even good results with tire blow outs. Great to see the shocked look on trucks faces when they get pushed by us and we don't waver.

Once your adjustment are fine tuned you will love it.
JohnWW is offline   Reply With Quote