Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Any other Hensley Arrow hitch users?

We bought our 28' Palomino travel trailer new in 2004. After years of towing a pop-up, I was quite surprised by the sway we experienced with the heavier TT, especially when being passed by an 18 wheeler!
We were using a conventional anti-sway hitch, but it just didn't do the job to our satisfaction. A lady my wife met in a Camping World store told her about the Hensley hitch she used and how much she liked it.
So I checked out Hensley's web site and ordered a DVD video they offered. I was impressed by the video and promptly ordered one.
We've used our Hensley now for over 5 years and I'll never tow a large tongue-pull trailer again without one. I actually have to remind myself that I'm towing or I'll forget!
It was a little tricky learning to hitch and unhitch, but the folks at Hensley were very helpful with advice. Now that I'm accustomed to it, I find it's easier to hitch and unhitch than a normal ball-type and much easier if you are using a conventional anti-sway device on a normal hitch.
In the 5 years that we've used our Arrow, we have only encountered one other Hensley user. I was just wondering how many other happy Hensley users are out there?
oldF1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldF1fan View Post
I was just wondering how many other happy Hensley users are out there?
Welcome to iRV2 oldF1fan! Please do come back and visit us often.

I'm sure that there will be other HA owners here that will share their experiences with you as soon as they pick up on your post.

For much the same reasons, "stability", we owned a Pullrite hitch for a number of years. That thing helped me pull a 29 foot trailer without any anti-sway devices and it was great!

Take care and we'll see you on the boards!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #3

The New Design

I don't have a Hensley Arrow but I do have the new hitch designed by Jim Hensley. It's called a ProPride 3P. He doesn't work with the company that he designed the Arrow for anymore. You can read about that here The Jim Hensley Hitch Story | ProPride, Incorporated

I did a lot of research because I had always wanted a Hensley hitch and was happy to see there were some upgrades to the old design.

The only way I know my 34' Airstream is behind me is the weight. There is absolutely no sway. I live in my Airstream about 10 months a year and tow quite a few miles. I've been using the 3P now for about 12 months and I wouldn't tow a trailer without one again.

I also can't say enough about working with the company. Sean Woodruff provides service even when I send him a question on Sunday night.
RVfulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
My bro-in-law uses one. When he purchased a 28' Gulfstream TT, I loaned him a Reese WD hitch that I had. He didn't like it. He then tried another brand of WD, still was uncomfortable with the sway. He sought the advice of his uncle who towed with a Hensley. He bought one, installed it & is very pleased with it! He's almost a little too comfortable towing as his speeds are a little too fast for comfort.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #5

Had a Hensley and it worked great--suggest you seriously consider the ProPride 3P mentioned above.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
I'll stick with my Hensley

The ProPride hitch sounds great, but with what I paid for my Hensley, I;m gonna stick with it. It still works great too!!
oldF1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
We like our Hensley hitch also. Didn't let it go with trailer we traded in. We are using it on our current trailer. Do not want to tow without.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #8

I have transfered my Hensley to three different trailers. I bought it used and it was on two others. All told its probably 14 yrs old and I still love it.

2003 Ford F350 Diesel Crew Cab.
Jersey Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #9

I saw my 1st one this week. A woman came in the park with a Chevy Tahoe towing a 30ft trailer. She said she really likes it. To me it seemed difficult to unhitch.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #10

Hitch and unhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairIIAT View Post
I saw my 1st one this week. A woman came in the park with a Chevy Tahoe towing a 30ft trailer. She said she really likes it. To me it seemed difficult to unhitch.

It is extremely simple. Easier than a dual cam sway or any other hitches

2003 Ford F350 Diesel Crew Cab.
Jersey Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Easiest hitch I have ever had to hook up or un hook I've had and I have used about everything for a tow behind trailer. Went from Reese dual cam to the Helsley. No way to compare the 2 hitches.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #12

I bought a HA this summer to tow a 29' Tango, but my experience has thus far been different from everything I read. That may be because my towing experience is more limited than those who are sharing. I'm curious why no one seems to have the challenges that I've had with the HA.

First, hitching it on uneven (even slightly) surfaces can be tricky. When the bar from the vehicle enters the receiver, if it's not parallel to the tube (the Hensley receiver) it's edge will catch on the inside of the receiver and push on the trailer. Even with wheel chalks, this can be a pain. I have to tweek the torque bars in order to adjust the receiver angle so it matches the bar from the tow vehicle. On uneven surfaces, this angle changes while the vehicle is backing into the receiver, and it can be frustrating.

Also, because the HA will rock slightly to the right or left when hitched, it's important for the trailer brakes to be adjusted just right, so the trailer doesn't move toward the vehicle, rotate, then push on one side of the tow vehicle. This pushes/pulls the front of the vehicle to the right or left, and frankly it scares me. In an emergency, this could be dangerous. I've adjusted my brakes so they catch before my truck brakes, but that still doesn't completely eliminate the behavior in all circumstances.

Lastly, because of the rotation mentioned above, you aren't supposed to use engine braking (i.e. down shifting) to slow your vehicle on downgrades. This is stated in the owners manual, and makes sense because of the issue mentioned in the previous paragraph. I have always used engine braking to save my brakes, so this is a bummer in my book.

Am I off base? What am I missing?
ward459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We bought a used Hensley this spring. Had a problem with sway on the first weekend trip. Turns out that I did not have a couple of drawbars parallel, according to Hensley. Made the correction and noire sway.

Hook up does require that you adjust the torsion bars to tilt the receiver up/down and to rotate it to match the draw bar.

Hint, measure the height of the draw bar on the tow vehicle. Then raise/lower the trailer to match. Remember both heights. The trailer should be the same as the TV plus 1/2 inch.

When hooking up, make sure that you are square to the trailer. That is critical. You can move the hitch left/right fairly easy, of necessary. Just reach into the receiver and lift up on the centering latch.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Oh, yeh, a back up camera really helps.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote