Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #1

Cool Apex 300BHS w/Ram 1500

So, we were originally looking at 45' Class A coaches and full timing in it. But, just to make a long story short, we are now in a 80' houseboat full time. We are in the market for a TT and have found one we really like and would like some opinions on TV vs TT. We have a 2016 Ramm 1500 5.7L Hemi with 3.21 gear ratio rated for 8000lbs towing. The TT is a Coachmen Apex 300BHS, empty weight of 5977lbs, GVWR 7600lbs and hitch weight of 672lbs, which I already know will require a weight distribution hitch. Obviously a 3/4 ton truck would be better, but what's your thoughts on this TV for this TT? Thanks in advance everyone!
RonandBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2016, 05:27 AM   #2

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...ing_charts.pdf

Not sure which Ram you have, but you probably have around 1600lbs to play with for payload. Your trailer has 672lbs at the hitch. Add another 200lbs to that for being loaded; add 200lbs for a tank of gas; 400lbs for passengers (maybe more?); that leaves you a 100lbs for stuff. You will max out your capacity of the truck - and that's ok.

I do it with no issues. I pull a 7200/800 lb trailer with my Ram 1500. Power is not an issue. I could drag race with my trailer hooked up.

I changed my in-dash brake controller to "trailer heavy". I keep the gain at 6.5. It gives me a good strong tug when I stop.

As you noted a WD hitch is mandatory.

Go enjoy your new trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 Aerolite 298RESL.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	142226  
Old 10-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #3

All American, thanks for the info. The truck is a 2016 Ram Laramie 4 x 4 short bed, 5.7L Hemi Crew Cab with 3.21 gear ratio. I figured we'd be okay with the weights but was looking for opinions from others out there that have a bit more experience. My only concern would be going through some of the mountainous areas. Depending on our load we may be pushing the TV limits a bit. I was also thinking that if we are going to those areas then if I keep the water tanks empty that will give me less weight to haul around. 50 gallons of water is a lot of weight, let alone the grey and black tanks. Thanks again for the info!!

Ron and Marybeth
Old 10-22-2016, 03:59 PM   #4

Uphill is no problem. If passing while going uphill, I have excess power available. (I guess I could slow down as an option too! Might be smarter?)

I also try to travel light. I'm a short term camper.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
At 34' long, I think that Apex trailer is too much trailer for that truck. I think it's too long and it'll have too much tongue weight. It's a good truck, lots of power, but the limiting factor is the payload capacity, which will be somewhere around 1200 to 1300 lb.

Our trailer is 28', and I think that's about as long as I'd want to tow with our truck.

Of course, if you'll be a weekend warrior and pulling the trailer to the nearby neighborhood campground, a lot of what I've just said might not matter too much.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #6

I agree with Papa_Jim,
If used for occasional use you'll be ok, however if you're going to full time it it will quickly wear out components of the truck (transmission, engine, u-joints, etc) as well as your nerves in more precarious driving conditions (hilly areas, adverse weather, etc).
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #7

I pulled a jayco 32 dsbh whitehawk with a dry weight of 7000#. I have 2008 ram 1500 with a hemi and a weight distribution hitch and had no problems towing at all. We went from frorida to Tennessee then off to North Carolina and back home last summer. Not a single issue. I am a truck driver by trade for the last 20 years so i may be a little more confident than others when towing. If your rig has plenty of power to pull just drive at a speed you're comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1477176620774.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	142304  
bigbear1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #8

My truck's payload is 1610lbs, and I use all of it with two of us in the truck & a full tank of gas. We hardly bring any supplies with us, and that's part of pulling with a 1/2 ton. I have excess power and great stopping ability. I've towed all sorts of stuff, and I'm comfortable with it.

I'll upgrade someday. I don't think I'll go with a 3/4 ton. In my truck's line a 3/4 ton only adds 1000lbs of payload. Then when you get more camper, you're right back at the maximums again.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #9

Apex 300BHS w/Ram 1500

And I consider my trailer at 7200lbs / 800lbs hitch to be at the very end of what can be pulled with a 1/2 ton. During my search for a trailer, I put 800lbs as my max. There were several trailers in the mid 900s I really liked.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the input. I know dealers/builders have a tendency to exaggerate a bit, but the entire Apex line is advertised as 1/2 ton capable. We don't plan on full-timing in it by any means but we don't plan on just making little local jaunts either. Being retired at such an early age (54) we have plenty of time to go wherever we want without having to worry about pushing the rig. I know we may be pushing it a bit but if we watch our load, which we're pretty used to since we live on a boat and already live with minimums, I think we'd be fine. If I have issues, well then that's just an excuse to get a bigger truck! Hahaha
Old 10-23-2016, 06:03 PM   #11

Yeah, it's a tough question to answer, eh? For those who have pulled 32 foot TTs with half tons from the 1980's and 1990's... and hated it... those folks' experience may have been different if pulling with a 1/2 ton of today's generation.

Sure, I totally agree the rear payload in a current gen 1/2 ton crew cab will likely be minuscule on paper. So, if a technicality is what you are after to justify a next-class pickup, there's nothing wrong with that.

But the standard question is always the same: "can my 1/2 Ton pull such-and-such trailer"?

Can they? Yes, they can. The real question that folks should be asking is "should I pull..." I think the answer to that is always: maybe, it's a free country after all.

I guess what I'm saying is, you need to decide for yourself. The truth is none of the "experienced RVer" really know how auto manufacturers rate these trucks. Are they emperically derived? Are they doing some sort of finite element analysis? If so... and they "design" the weight limit, will our trucks spontaneously combust when those ratings are exceeded? (Of course not)
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #12

CTBailey, I pretty much agree with you on that one. I suppose the real question is can it stop that size TT? A 1/2 ton truck could probably tow a 12-15K lb trailer but when it comes to stopping that would be a totally different story. Hence the reason for trailer brakes. I had a Ram 1500 many years ago and could barely tow a utility trailer with a quad on it. Trucks have come a long way in the past 10-15 years. Yes, there will be times/conditions when it wouldn't be prudent to be out and about on the road. After reading posts on here and talking to other RV'ers in the campground right next to us I think we'll be okay. Considering my truck is only two months old and only has 4000 miles on it, it would be hard for me to convince my DW that it's time for an upgraded truck. Hahaha Now, if any of you would like to make a kind donation for the upgrade just PM me.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #13

Apex 300BHS w/Ram 1500

I thought the payload number included how it came from the factory including all fluids. So, when calculating your payload use, gas should be already included, so don't deduct for that.
ssilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #14

My 2013 ram 1500 Laramie had payload of 1061lbs....our family of 4 weighs about 550...after weighing our truck at a cat scale, I ended up selling it and ordering a 3500srw and going to the th route. Bottom line is ram has the worst payload capacity of any of them. Check your door jam sticker
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote