Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 06:09 PM   #1

Are marker lights required

I just bought a Big Foot travel trailer which has the little lights just below the roof line, red and yellow on the corners. I believe they are called marker lights. Are these required by law? Can I take them off and fill the holes in with fiberglass?

These just seem to be yet another way for water to enter the trailer. I really just don't like having these lights if they are not really needed.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #2

If your RV is 80 inches wide (which the vast majority of RVs are) or wider, the lights are required by federal regulations. And to be legal, they must also be operational.
EdBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #3

Congratulations on your Bigfoot. I owned an older one, and the marker lights never leaked. If the appearance bothers you, there are places on line that sell attractive ones with chrome bezels. You can then fill the wire holes with a sealer underneath the light gasket. The lights are required, that's why they are there.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #4

Trailer lighting requirements based on wide, length and GVWR

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-trailer...gulations.aspx

Yes your Bigfoot is required to have them
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #5

If they leak, butyl rubber tape works good for resealing....just remove them and place on the back of the lights...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #6

This chart should answer your question.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:24 AM   #7

Thanks to all who have responded. Ken, I downloaded the pdf on Fed regs. Old-Biscuit I went to the trailer site. Geez Louise, I had no idea this would be so complicated. Bob, the marker lights do have butyl tape behind them. Some of it came out when I unscrewed a light thinking I could dry out the condensation behind the lens. Unfortunately I then learned that once a screw comes out of molded fiberglass it does not screw back in as firmly as it was originally. So I put on additional sealant. The fixture itself is very solid.
Cecil I found those chrome bezels. I expect to order one and see what it looks like and if it adds anything to the fixture: Very interesting, I have not seen these bezels on any trailer to date.

Obviously I will have to live with the marker lights. The thing is the Big Foot trailer is a typical type of trailer in that while it has a molded fiberglass exterior it has a wooden framework inside with wall paneling and a plywood floor. By the time the leak is identified it is too late, water will have saturated everything. Oh well, I will just have to be vigilant...
Old 03-23-2019, 07:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
They are actually called “ID “ lights
They ID. Your vehicle as wide as you already know are required
There are tons of ID light styles you can change to if your so inclined. Many better and more robust than the cheapies most rv manufactures use
I have had good luck with Lexol sealant
Old 03-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
They are actually called “ID “ lights
They ID. Your vehicle as wide as you already know are required
Well if you want to get persnickety about it, the 3 centered on each end are the "identification" lights, and the ones at the corners, (front, rear, and both sides) and the ones center of each side are markers.
Sometime late '40s/early'50s, when the speed potential between cars and truck was getting pretty great it was decided that lights mounted high, and spaced a set distance apart, would help a experienced driver id the vehicle as heavy and tell how far away it is.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:13 AM   #10

They are also considered a SAFETY feature. If your ever stuck on the road at night you will want all the lights you can get. A dark vehicle parked on the road = dark consequences.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:12 AM   #11

Bill, I am not sure what replacement lights you are referring to when you refer. to "more robust" marker lights.
The OEM ID and marker lights used on my Big Foot appear to be (Amazon) Diamond Group 52438 Valterra Products Inc DG52438VP Marker Lamp Led Red (and yellow) 2-Wire. These are LED and seem robust to me. I have a lot to do to get ready for this years camping season so I don't expect to address the light issue until probably late fall after we get back. I may have to craft a bezel somehow to correct the way the lights are attached to the trailer.

I am very much interested in upgrading these lights but have no idea what an upgraded light is: if you please, would you identify what lights you are referring to?

Thanks for differentiating between regarding ID and marker lights, I did not know this.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:03 AM   #12

As far as an "upgrade", I like this brand, LED and sealed. Find your hole spacing and light size, then choose the one you like best, of course, keep the color the same for each light location.
Optronics International > PRODUCTS > LED Lighting > LED Millennium Series

I have a fiberglass header on my trailer, I replaced all the light fasteners with stainless hardware, and used a larger flatwasher and locknut for the backside of the fiberglass, just snugged a bit, along with the butyl tape already mentioned. Soldered the wire connections and used heat shrink while I was at it. You may not be able to easily access the backside on your trailer.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Bill, I am not sure what replacement lights you are referring to when you refer. to "more robust" marker lights.
The OEM ID and marker lights used on my Big Foot appear to be (Amazon) Diamond Group 52438 Valterra Products Inc DG52438VP Marker Lamp Led Red (and yellow) 2-Wire. These are LED and seem robust to me. I have a lot to do to get ready for this years camping season so I don't expect to address the light issue until probably late fall after we get back. I may have to craft a bezel somehow to correct the way the lights are attached to the trailer.

I am very much interested in upgrading these lights but have no idea what an upgraded light is: if you please, would you identify what lights you are referring to?

Thanks for differentiating between regarding ID and marker lights, I did not know this.
Although my current fifth is a higher end brand, the marker lights were cheap. All the amber ones were burnt out. I had unusual hole spacing so Amazon was no help. I found superbrightleds.com to have a large selection, and many with my hole spacing. I bought some attractive ones with the bezel attached. They were an easy install, and really dressed up the exterior of the trailer.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #14

The marker/id lights on my old RV were in sorry shape when I bought it. In fact, the one on the side of the left front (waist high) was missing - just a wire hanging in the air.
I replaced it.

When I took it out on the road the first time I found that the drivers along side could not see my front turn signal when I wanted to change lanes.

I found a source of "dual mode" marker lights that also functioned as turn signals and replaced the lower left front, left rear, right front and right rear with them. No more problems changing lanes! There are also markers on the lower center on both sides. Once I run the turn signal wiring to them I will also change out the lower center markers.

Tags
light, lights