Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2016, 05:38 PM   #1

Are there any bunk house only models?

We are still shopping for the best layout that will work for us and we have a few models on our shortlist but my wife was asking me if there are any travel trailer models that only have rear bunk houses and no queen/king beds but that also include a dinette and sofa. I've seen models with the double bunk houses that even have double beds on the bottom but they still include a regular bed.

I know it's an odd question but I thought that if anyone would know, it would be the folks on this forum.

MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
That is almost the same kind of floorplan we are hunting for. 10 years ago there was a popular floorplan. where as you walked in near the front of the trailer there were bunk beds (2 beds) the top bed was slightly narrower, the bottom bed was a small queen. They were the width of the trailer with a narrow closet on the one side. Then the bathroom came next, then the rest of the living quarters. I think what killed that one was people wanted "separation" between where the kids slept and the mommy & daddy.

All this was in a 24' trailer. up to a 28' with a larger slide. Now to get the parents bed up front and a bunk setup in the back, your looking at a 30'-32' RV or a little smaller, but without a couch.

I prefer to stay in the 26' to 28' range. The hybrid we have now ( 26') fits all that but is not a 4 season unit. This will now be the 5th season in it, and will keep our eyes open over the next few years for something. On our way to AK. in a few weeks we are stopping at a Arctic Fox dealer ( in MT.) to see their quality of that RV.

But that floorplan I said from 10 years ago, I can't believe no one makes it. Even if someone did, I'm looking for more of a higher end RV anyway. (Winnebago, Arctic Fox Bigfoot...) I can only hope the 2017's now being built, there might be that floorplan out there.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #3

Of course there are. You will find them as you expand your search.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Of course there are. You will find them as you expand your search.
Thanks - since you know there are, where should I expand my search? I've looked at hundreds of models and dozens of manufacturers and used several tools to search for models and have not seen any. Could you at least point me in the right direction since you know there are?

I know there's companies I'm probably missing and I thought this was a place to ask questions and solicit advice. Is that not the case?
Old 05-18-2016, 09:40 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1463625618.605888.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	127451
Old 05-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion View Post
Coleman makes the same floor plan too.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwall62 View Post
Coleman makes the same floor plan too.
Thanks. I should have been clearer in that I'm wondering about units with four bunks or two bunk houses and no queen/king bed. My wife and I will be travelling with our son.

Probably the best example I could find is something like this model only without the queen bed at one end, just the two bunk houses in the rear. That layout with the dinette and sofa slide would be ideal.

The problem is that getting the bunk houses, dinette, sofa and bed pushes the length up to 29' or larger and I'd rather stick with a shorter unit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mod37551.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	127460  
Old 05-19-2016, 05:43 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You may have better luck looking at trailers that have a pair of twin beds instead of a full/queen/king that could be converted to a stacked-bunk layout with some basic carpentry. This will get you a very short floorplan and all of the working parts (liquid tanks, etc.) already in locations that support your intended layout. Airstream comes immediately to mind as a manufacturer that still offers twin beds in place of the single larger bed, and I'm sure there are others.
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #9

My 2001 R-Vision Trail-lite 7253 would have fit the bill for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tl7253.gif
Views:	64
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	127479