Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2016, 09:56 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Are you over your cargo carrying capacity?

For some unknown reason, I never really did the math on this point.

But today, I looked at the yellow sticker on our Whitehawk and was a bit surprised to see its cargo carrying capacity is only 1204 lbs!

I fear we are over and I suppose we need to get it weighed to know for sure. Am I the only person who worries about stuff like this? LOL
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2016, 10:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Not if you are smart and care about your safety and that of those around you!

Yes, weigh your RV! Adjust your cargo placement as needed (or your cargo, period) until your weight is below rated. CAT scales are available at many truck stops and are very easy to use; they will tell you front and rear axle as well as overall weight. You have to hunt a bit more to find 4 corner weighing.

I posted a lengthy analysis of our weight experience, on the Newmar Owners forum. Our CCC is not much more than yours. We now have a lot of empty storage areas, but our weight is within our rated limit. And I thank God I paid attention to someone else who posted about the importance of weighing your RV!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #3

I don't worry about it but that's because I have 4200lbs of CCC. CCC is my peat peave when looking at RV's. That and water tank capacity.
Maybe up grade your tires if you can. If you have 14" then see if 15" will fit or even upgrade from a C to a D rated tire.
Remember though that your tongue weight comes off the loaded weight. So if your TT weighs 6000lbs loaded then minus say 600lbs for tongue weight. That means you only have 5400lbs on the axles.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I don't worry about it but that's because I have 4200lbs of CCC. CCC is my peat peave when looking at RV's. That and water tank capacity.
Maybe up grade your tires if you can. If you have 14" then see if 15" will fit or even upgrade from a C to a D rated tire.
Remember though that your tongue weight comes off the loaded weight. So if your TT weighs 6000lbs loaded then minus say 600lbs for tongue weight. That means you only have 5400lbs on the axles.
Thanks. Good point on the tongue weight. And yes we have been considering a tire upgrade.
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #5

Drove over 4 million miles, semi's. Weights always a big deal. We have bought a Ram 1500 rated at 8000 lbs for the TT. Looks like we will need to upgrade rears from 3.21 to 3.92. I want to tow a TT in low 8'k. Like a cushion for safety margin. Talked to Ram dlr, getting price on the ration switch and am going to make sure trans cooler is sized right. Those are the only differences in the 2 ratings. should have spent less time arguing price and more time reading spec sheet. I really am surprised at all of the RV'rs that seem to think that these numbers don't matter. A lot of attitude that if I can afford it, I can pull it. Kind of scary. Told my first mate that we roll safe or we don't roll. A few extra dollars for the "right stuff" is worth it to us. Be safe.
sejac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #6

In answer to your question. No, Thanks for asking though. I can usually tell you within a couple hundred lbs. where we're at.
I probably worry more about the other folks out there that are not concerned about such things.
It's not that difficult to weigh yourself, plus there's even a smartphone app. to aid you. Many locations are even equipped so you can pay, and send results to your smartphone app.
Don't be intimidated by the truck stops.
https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/

Flock south Y'all.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #7

NO...........YES
I know exactly what actual weights are because I weighed trucked and 5th wheel loaded up 'camp ready'

Truck when hooked up I am over on GVWR but not over on RAWR or Rear Tire Max Load Ratings
5vr I am under GVWR by 650# ---under axle rantings/tire load ratings
AND under GCVWR

We FTd for 7 yrs and on anniversary of each year on the road we got weighed
After 1st and some basic 'concepts' we had no issues staying under weight
LESS is MORE (you really don't need all that stuff..the basics are more then enough)
1 bag of stuff in then 2 bags out--that way you don't end up with crap stuffed here/there (mashed pennies take up very little room in their albums and make great keepsakes)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
NO...........YES
I know exactly what actual weights are because I weighed trucked and 5th wheel loaded up 'camp ready'

Truck when hooked up I am over on GVWR but not over on RAWR or Rear Tire Max Load Ratings
5vr I am under GVWR by 650# ---under axle rantings/tire load ratings
AND under GCVWR

We FTd for 7 yrs and on anniversary of each year on the road we got weighed
After 1st and some basic 'concepts' we had no issues staying under weight
LESS is MORE (you really don't need all that stuff..the basics are more then enough)
1 bag of stuff in then 2 bags out--that way you don't end up with crap stuffed here/there (mashed pennies take up very little room in their albums and make great keepsakes)
So, your truck is overloaded.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #9

Cost of weighing trailer and tv

I'm a new tt owner and would like to get my trailer and vehicled weighed is there a large fee for this and can you weigh tv then tt and then both ? Do you just show up to the scale or do you make an appointment,
Thanks Charlie
Chiefbat9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefbat9 View Post
I'm a new tt owner and would like to get my trailer and vehicled weighed is there a large fee for this and can you weigh tv then tt and then both ? Do you just show up to the scale or do you make an appointment,
Thanks Charlie
No appointments needed, you can weigh together, separate or however you choose to do it. Last time it cost me $12!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:00 PM   #11

I don't know about where you live but in Oregon we have lots of weigh stations that are open 24/7. The scales are always on and you can pull in and weigh each axle. I have even dropped the trailer off and weighed just the hitch weight. Never had a problem never had anybody else pull in that I would be holding up.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sejac55 View Post
Drove over 4 million miles, semi's. Weights always a big deal. We have bought a Ram 1500 rated at 8000 lbs for the TT. Looks like we will need to upgrade rears from 3.21 to 3.92. I want to tow a TT in low 8'k. Like a cushion for safety margin. Talked to Ram dlr, getting price on the ration switch and am going to make sure trans cooler is sized right. Those are the only differences in the 2 ratings. should have spent less time arguing price and more time reading spec sheet. I really am surprised at all of the RV'rs that seem to think that these numbers don't matter. A lot of attitude that if I can afford it, I can pull it. Kind of scary. Told my first mate that we roll safe or we don't roll. A few extra dollars for the "right stuff" is worth it to us. Be safe.
Might be better to upgrade to a 250 or 2500 truck. The change to the ratio can be pretty expensive unless you DIY. A 1500 is not going to be happy pulling a trailer much over 5k. Just my opinions
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
One of the reasons I bought a 2015 Winnebago 2101DS was the 3,220 pound carrying capacity.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS
2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sejac55 View Post
I really am surprised at all of the RV'rs that seem to think that these numbers don't matter. A lot of attitude that if I can afford it, I can pull it. Kind of scary.
Agreed 100%. Was at the dealer over the weekend and saw a young couple take delivery of a new travel trailer. When they hooked it up, the truck dropped over 5 inches. As they pulled out, they bottomed out on a speed bump... still smiling