Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #1

Unhappy At wits end

Well I have exhausted all possibilities and have come to the conclusion gonna have to bite the bullet and take it in to be serviced. Battery putting out 13.6 volts as well as converter. All breakers fuses test ok. I have 12v coming in off the battery, water heater fires, stove lights but still no fridge, overhead fan or furnace not sure what else to do.fridge won't even fire when switched to Lp.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do your 12 volt overhead lights work?

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #3

Yes!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #4

Bad control board. The refer requires 12VDC to operate the controls even when on 120VAC.
Start by locating the 12VDC power at the back of the refer and check to be sure there is power. If there is, then that pretty much confirms that the control board is toast. If no 12 volt power at the refer then you need to go back words until you find the reason.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
As long as you are positive all the fuses are good then it sounds like an open wire someplace. I would start by using a multi meter and measuring voltages at the dc fuse panel. If I found a place where voltage was missing I then would either run a jumper to see if things worked or I would work backwards to see where the feed was coming from.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #6

Poor ground connections are often a problem. If you have voltmeter, I'd pull the breaker/panel out and check connections you find in behind and voltages. No LEDs on at the panel indicating a blown fuse? Using a VM, also check the voltages at the load end of the circuits (fridge, etc.) Check ground connections there. Also check any ground connections at the battery. Also, since you have more than one thing not running, this further suggests something that is in common such as a poor ground connection.

While measuring the DC voltage at the non-functioning items, you *could* take a piece of say #14 gauge wire and touch one end to a solid/clean ground point somewhere (like on the frame or at the panel) and the other to the ground lug or terminal at the non-functioning item. If this makes the appliance run, it's definitely a grounding issue.

Take a look at the labels on the 12 volt fuses. If you find a circuit labelled that supplies both the water heater and furnace as an example, you'll know for certain that the problem is downstream from the panel.

Sometimes you'll find that you have intermittent/poor connections that work under light loads but when you turn on a heavy load, the connection drops out.

I would try shutting off the AC supply to your converter and see if that changes anything. The converter will be putting out the 13.6 volts right at it but the battery will be putting out it's 12 volts (or so) right at the batteries which could be some distance apart and involve additional wiring and connections.

What do you have? Towable or MH? You don't say how old your unit is or if you are just bringing it out of storage. Both of these would contribute to the possibility of a bad connection(s) somewhere. I'd perhaps even clean the battery terminals.

If you don't have one, AC/DC voltmeters are cheap. Just bought one for about $5 at Harbor Freight for our TT. Great diagnostic tool to have.

Hope it works out for you without having to fork out $$ at a dealer.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #7

We have a travel trailer. At the end of camping season last fall, everything was fine when we woke up Sunday morning to cold trailer discovered we had no heat or fridge. There are no led lights lit on the panel to indicate blown fuse. Why or how I guess would that keep my furnace from working?
Old 05-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Furnace needs 12 volts to operate, thermostat needs 12 volts to operate. Fridge control board needs 12 volts to operate and your overhead fan needs 12 volts to operate.
Since each of these are separate items which most likely have their own fuses you have a major open DC circuit someplace.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #9

We did have a bad connection as we didn't have 12 v coming into the trailer. We cleaned all of that up which was underneath that also had a fuse to check. Cleaned up the terminals for the battery. We didn't however ok the panel to see if anything loose there as we were getting good readings with the volt meter. Pretty much done everything everyone has suggested and what a boAtload of information I have learned. It has been great. We are gonna take it out still and just use my Eden pure heater. I have lights and hot water. This has been very frustrating as it just happened overnight and spending a week testing it has made me crazy!!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #10

I know all of that takes 12 v and I have 12v coming in as the pump will operate and so does the overhead lights. It is beginning to perplex me and probably beyond my area of expertise.