Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #1

Atwood Water Heater Switch

atwood GC6AA-10E 6 gal water heater , i have replaced thermostat , igniter , flushed tank, and cleaned burn tube in water heater . It fired up nice i adjusted flame looks and works great but when i turn it off and turn the electric WH switch on the gas burner fires up. So please help. also i turned gas off at tank and when it burned out, after an hour the water was really hot so the element definitely works. Just an old retired mm no pro. Thanks much
7months14day is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #2

10E in model number means it uses the same DC Power Source, Same set of t-stats and same circuit board
DC Relay triggers 120V AC to element which is fed from a AC Circuit Breaker

Should have a Dual On/Off Switch ....
One switch for electric element function
One switch for propane function

One Main DC Power comes from a FUSED DC SOURCE to the dual switches.
First to one of the on/off and then jumpered to the other on/off switch

(If RV MFG didn't use Atwood OEM Dual Switches then RV MFG could have wired it 'their' way.)

From the on/off switches each heating function uses separate wires to the circuit board.........but use same circuits for thermal fuse/T-stat (Brown wires) then ECO (Red wires)
Circuit board then splits heating control between electric, propane OR both at same time (both on/off switches ON)

When turning electric ON.........propane also fires up (switch still off)?
Then switches are shorting across OR shorting across at upper pin connector on circuit board (WHITE Wire/Electric---ORANGE Wire/Propane)

As for normal temps...whether using electric or propane
T-stat (normal temp control t-stat) OPENS when water temp reaches 140*F ----CLOSES so heating can resume when water temp reaches >110*F
ECO (Energy Cut Off/HI Temp t-stat) OPENS at 180*F to shut ALL heating down (Safety feature) Will reset when temp >150*F
*ECO Opens....RED Fault Light on OEM Dual Switch Panel. Heating 'locked out' have to turn switch(es) OFF wait 30 seconds turn ON for continue heating cycles
**ECO Opens.......then T-stat (normal temp) FAILED---loose/not tight to tank or bad

Thermal Fuse (clear tubing---Brown wire to t-stat) is a one shot safety device. BLOWS if senses 190*F ----blow back for propane flame coming out of combustion chamber (blocked/obstructed combustion/exhaust ---mud dabbers/nest etc)
If blown have to buy new and replace it

Dual On/Off Switches (or TWO separate switches)......wiring

Atwood Water Heater Wiring Diagram (from On/Off Switches to circuit board)

Hope I haven't confused you?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
10E in model number means it uses the same DC Power Source, Same set of t-stats and same circuit board
DC Relay triggers 120V AC to element which is fed from a AC Circuit Breaker

Should have a Dual On/Off Switch ....
One switch for electric element function
One switch for propane function

One Main DC Power comes from a FUSED DC SOURCE to the dual switches.
First to one of the on/off and then jumpered to the other on/off switch

(If RV MFG didn't use Atwood OEM Dual Switches then RV MFG could have wired it 'their' way.)

From the on/off switches each heating function uses separate wires to the circuit board.........but use same circuits for thermal fuse/T-stat (Brown wires) then ECO (Red wires)
Circuit board then splits heating control between electric, propane OR both at same time (both on/off switches ON)

When turning electric ON.........propane also fires up (switch still off)?
Then switches are shorting across OR shorting across at upper pin connector on circuit board (WHITE Wire/Electric---ORANGE Wire/Propane)

As for normal temps...whether using electric or propane
T-stat (normal temp control t-stat) OPENS when water temp reaches 140*F ----CLOSES so heating can resume when water temp reaches >110*F
ECO (Energy Cut Off/HI Temp t-stat) OPENS at 180*F to shut ALL heating down (Safety feature) Will reset when temp >150*F
*ECO Opens....RED Fault Light on OEM Dual Switch Panel. Heating 'locked out' have to turn switch(es) OFF wait 30 seconds turn ON for continue heating cycles
**ECO Opens.......then T-stat (normal temp) FAILED---loose/not tight to tank or bad

Thermal Fuse (clear tubing---Brown wire to t-stat) is a one shot safety device. BLOWS if senses 190*F ----blow back for propane flame coming out of combustion chamber (blocked/obstructed combustion/exhaust ---mud dabbers/nest etc)
If blown have to buy new and replace it

Dual On/Off Switches (or TWO separate switches)......wiring

Atwood Water Heater Wiring Diagram (from On/Off Switches to circuit board)

Hope I haven't confused you?
Just wanted to jump in here and say Thank You for helping me figure out my water heater about a month ago. Not related to this post. John
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:51 PM   #4

atwood water heater switch

Thanks for your help. If i turn on the electric remote switch the propane circuit also energizes. With a test light i get power at both the white and orange wires. Electric switch off and propane switch on, i get power at only the orange wire. With wires disconnected from the circuit block, i get continuity through both terminals Is it safe to assume the circuit block needs replacing? It is an atwood circuit block. Thank you very much
Old 04-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7months14day View Post
Thanks for your help. If i turn on the electric remote switch the propane circuit also energizes. With a test light i get power at both the white and orange wires. Electric switch off and propane switch on, i get power at only the orange wire. With wires disconnected from the circuit block, i get continuity through both terminals Is it safe to assume the circuit block needs replacing? It is an atwood circuit block. Thank you very much
Not sure what you mean by 'circuit block' ?

Do you have the Atwood OEM Dual Switch ?
OR
Has RV MFG provided different switches for electric/propane?

Pictures of circuit block//switches would help

Electric should NOT energize electric AND propane ----
Old 04-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #6

It does have electric switch and gas switch blackwater grey water and so on. The block is the black box on the outside of unit with wire plugs going to it . Sorry i don't know how to send pictures and don't know what that box is called but had it replaced about a year ago, the 3rd pin on it was not open circuit the 2nd one was and was thinking it was bad thank you
Old 04-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #7

circuit board
Old 04-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #8

OK Circuit Board..........

With top connect pulled off circuit board
Test voltage on following PINS in connector
With Propane switch ON (electric OFF) ----voltmeter neg lead on GREEN wire pin and pos lead on ORANGE wire pin (should be 12V DC +)
Move pos lead to WHITE wire pin......no voltage

Electric ON (propane OFF)----voltmeter neg lead on GREEN wire pin and pos lead on WHITE wire pin (12V DC+)
Move pos lead to ORANGE wire pin ---no voltage
If you do read voltage then issue is NOT with circuit board but back at On/Off Switches

TO properly TEST circuit board 'tracks' for continuity requires circuit board be REMOVED prior to testing
Then you can test 'power track'
Voltmeter set to OHMS
Neg lead on Ground (GREEN wire contact on edge connection of circuit board
Pos lead on Power (TOP BROWN wire contact on edge connection of circuit board)
NO CONTINUITY-----circuit board is defective

Post results......

As a side note: WHY did you replace circuit board before???
Old 04-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #9

circuit board melted wouldn't work replaced and worded fine for about a year until this time.Will get back tomorrow thank you very much
Old 04-24-2018, 07:11 PM   #10

circuit board test results

actually i did have enough day light. everything checked out, propane on electric off , green and orange 12+, white pin no voltage, Electric on propane off , green and white 12+ pos to orange no voltage circuit board tracks test green and brown 9.95 OHMS everything looks good thank you thanks for your patients. Im bumpuzzled
Old 04-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #11

Quote:
actually i did have enough day light. everything checked out, propane on electric off , green and orange 12+, white pin no voltage, Electric on propane off , green and white 12+ pos to orange no voltage circuit board tracks test green and brown 9.95 OHMS everything looks good thank you thanks for your patients. Im bumpuzzled
You are not the only one

With those results there is NOTHING that points to propane being energized when using the electric

With connector back on circuit board....
Turn electric ON
Then using a sharp probe....measure voltage on ORANGE wire ?

Also measure voltage on at ECO on red wire going to gas valve
(when on electric there will be millivolts thru ECO in order for ECO to be part of control scheme. On propane it has FULL DC voltage thru ECO)

***Propane firing off when electric used sure does make it sound like bad power track on circuit board---even though power test showed continuity.'
Old 04-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #12

with electric on orange wire 12.2 volts, voltage on red wire gas valve to eco 0, on propane it has (0) voltage through eco thanks much ???
Old 04-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #13

Quote:
with electric on orange wire 12.2 volts, voltage on red wire gas valve to eco 0, on propane it has (0) voltage through eco thanks much ???

With the top connector pulled off of circuit board.......

TEST
Electric ON.......voltage on WHITE wire PIN to Ground
Then check for any Voltage on ORANGE Wire PIN to ground

Get voltage reading on ORANGE PIN..........On/Off Switches are shorting across

No Voltage on ORANGE....circuit board is shorting across on edge connector or internal
Old 04-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #14

with the top connector pulled off of circuit board. with electric on voltage on white wire pin to ground 13.1 volts , 0 voltage on orange pin to ground. connector looks good no frayed wires , so i should order a circuit board ? i tend to agree with you. I will post when i get it and installed. I have confidence in you and this forum. You are the best!!!!! . thanks much 4K and 6K linear fiber laser cutters

Tags
atwood, heater, water heater, water, heat, switch