Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #1

I have two 30# propane tanks on my TT and according to everything I have read, when the primary tank empties, it should "automatically" switch to the reserve tank. At this time, I would see the indicator colored RED and would manually switch the supply knob to the reserve tank which would now become my primary. The other night while in the TT, the gas drasticly cut down. I mean very limited heat and very low pilot flame. I went to the gas supply and switched the supply lever and the indicator changed to GREEN instantly and the problem was solved. Is this normal? I was under the impression the gas supply would change automatically without interuption. I also noticed a faint gas smell when this happen. Any ideas??? Oh, and by the way, I live on Cape Cod and we just got hammered with another 12" of snow and my 2 year old son keeps telling me, "daddy, we'll never get to go camping this year." By the looks of it, he might be right!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #2

I have two 30# propane tanks on my TT and according to everything I have read, when the primary tank empties, it should "automatically" switch to the reserve tank. At this time, I would see the indicator colored RED and would manually switch the supply knob to the reserve tank which would now become my primary. The other night while in the TT, the gas drasticly cut down. I mean very limited heat and very low pilot flame. I went to the gas supply and switched the supply lever and the indicator changed to GREEN instantly and the problem was solved. Is this normal? I was under the impression the gas supply would change automatically without interuption. I also noticed a faint gas smell when this happen. Any ideas??? Oh, and by the way, I live on Cape Cod and we just got hammered with another 12" of snow and my 2 year old son keeps telling me, "daddy, we'll never get to go camping this year." By the looks of it, he might be right!

Old 03-01-2005, 01:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy Mich,

Your opinion as to how the changeover valve is supposed to work is correct. The only thing I can think of that may have caused a foobar is the cold. In real cold situations the regulator can freeze up.

That is unless there is in fact a problem with the changeover valve. It should change to the backup tank without a loss in pressure.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:56 PM   #4

What Don Said... Ref the Cold.... while traveling through Montana a few times, I too Have encountered a similar scenereo, where the valve is VERY SLOW to release the preasure from the other tank.... this has happend only in the extreme cold... ie 20 deg and colder....

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:04 PM   #5

On my valve, you can select one tank by moving the selector arrow to point to the tank you want to draw off of, or move the pointer straight down and draw off both tanks. If drawing off one tank and it runs out, the indicator does turn red and start to draw off the other tank. I have never had a problem with the valve working even in cold weather (under 15 deg f).

It is possible that your valve is defective.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All that being said, you need to go and get the EMPTY tank filled and while you are at it I would have the other one topped off also becasue it is possible that that tank is low on pressure and also contributied to the slow changeover