Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #1

Aux fuel tank

DOES AN AUX FUEL TANK SAVE ON FUEL COSTS?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #2

Only if you can get to the cheaper fuel stations. Yes that is one of the benefits but it also extends your range so you are not always looking for fuel and you can get to the cheaper fuel stations. To us the extended range is just as important and you are not always looking for fuel which can be nerve racking on some back highways. Just remember that it does affect the weight in your truck bed so take that in consideration when figuring how much pin weight you can carry.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #3

I have to use Ultra Low Sulfar Diesel in my hauler. Well on the way home from the Ohio Rally I tried to fuel at 2 truck stops. They only had Low Sulfar not good. I ordered a tool box with a 50 gal tank. Today I check a couple truck stops near the house. Three local stations that I fuel at had Low Sulfar no Ultra Low Sulfar. I think I'll change the fuel filters soon & hope for the best.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #4

Wayne,

I have a tool box 50gal combo that pumps through a filter directly into my main tank from a switch under my steering wheel it is great for discounts on fuel and long hauls, and especially getting high quality fuel. The guy I bought it off said that you have to use it regularly or it has problems. My only problem is the switch is a small rocker type that glows when on but you have to remember to shut it off or it will overflow, it’s wired to the ignition so it does shut off when the trucks shut off. I have to set a timer in my cell phone to remind me when to shut it off. Mine takes about 15min per 1/4 tank. Oh ya, I also found that if the auxiliary tank is full don't park on a hill or it will drip out the fill spout into the bed of the truck.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:48 AM   #5

I run a 150 gallon 'big truck' fuel tank as an aux. Fuel tank that is pumped into the main tank and run all my fuel through it so i never even open the main tank!
I have it on the back of a converted school bus so pin weight is not a big concern when i fill it up for trips!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:25 AM   #6

Wow 150 gallons I would need a couple pit stop before fuel.

Dean I was told that my Aux Tank would fuel automaticly if the main swith is on. I guess when the main tank gets down to a quarter of a tank. The aux will fill the main tank and shut off. Well the tank hasn't come in yet and the truck store is installing it & a sprayed in bed liner at the same time. They will fuel the tank & test the system . Parking on a hill I'll have to remember that too.
Wayne
Old 07-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi154 View Post
I have to use Ultra Low Sulfar Diesel in my hauler. Well on the way home from the Ohio Rally I tried to fuel at 2 truck stops. They only had Low Sulfar not good. I ordered a tool box with a 50 gal tank. Today I check a couple truck stops near the house. Three local stations that I fuel at had Low Sulfar no Ultra Low Sulfar. I think I'll change the fuel filters soon & hope for the best.
You don't have an issue with emergency use of low sulfur fuel. No need to change filters or anything else. The DPF will clean itself after a few cycles. Continuous use of S500 will ruin it though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
It allows you to be a little more picky about where you purchase your fuel, so the answer would be yes. I bought diesel yesterday for $2.29 when the cheapest I had found is around $2.50.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #9

Thanks Ray,

I wasn't too sure on the Low Sulfar useage . The message Cleaning Filter did come on more that normal. Well the Aux Tank will be a Welcome Addition to our Truck. Well the fuel filter will need a change any way as I did have some Red Fuel as I was about to run dry. I guess I can't wait for the next fuel stop.

Wayne
Old 07-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #10

Like others have said, the money savings can happen when you can pick and choose your station rather than fuel due to an emergency. The secondary benefit is being able to choose the station that is the easiest to use with a 37' fifth wheel behind you. I have the RDS 50 gallon with small tool box available from Northern Tools. Great tank and easily connected with no wires, no pumps and easy to use. Love it. And about 1/3 the price of the expensive ones.

Bob
Old 07-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #11

Coastal Campers
Low Sulfur vs Ultra low sulfur..

I was fueling at the "J" on the way home from the rally and one of the yard toadies was out to open the propane.. I asked him why there were two big truck islands labeled Ultra Low and eight islands labeled Low Sulfur?? He said that they only pump Ultra Low, that's all that is available.. but the 8 "Low Sulfur" islands did not have the tanks and lines changed/cleaned.. they are still using the old Low Sulfur tanks so they can't call it Ultra Low..

2006 "Collector Edition" Arctic Fox 24-5N
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
We added a Transfer Flow, Inc. 40 Gal. tank/toolbox combo unit to our TV and are very happy with it. It includes an automatic transfer capability so you don't have to worry about over filling your main tank. You may want to take a look at their products at www.transferflow.com. Cheers...

Da Kittens (Dora and Inky)
WldKargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #13

I have the combo 60 gal tank/tool box made by RDS and sold thru Nothern Tool. It fits under the Retrax cover and is plumbed into the truck filler line to gravity feed. It stops filling when fuel reaches the fitting. As others have said, it allows me to pick and choose my fillups on long trips. If need to, I can make it about a 1000 miles on the '09 450--used to be able to get 1300+ out of my '07. I use gasbuddy.com to find prices in the areas I am going thru--having this on a 2nd truck, it has paid for itself and now it is all 15 to 25 cents/gal savings if I look hard enough.
Joe
Old 08-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #14

To answer your original question, no it probably will not save you anything. The added weight of carrying that extra diesel will cost you in fuel economy, reduce your payload capacity and unless it is used regularly will go bad. If you leave the tank empty, it will likely collect moisture, which is bad. If you store it full it will collect moisture which is bad. Many many people feel that it saves them, bu the posts so far. But, again, unless you burn the fuel off regularly it potentially cause you problems. JMHO!

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote