Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #1

Awful smell in our new Sunset Trail

We have a new sunset trail and from day one it has had a very strange moldy kind of smell. The odor seeps into clothing and plastic and seems impossible to remove.While having some warranty work done, we asked to look into it. He didn't find any mold and offered no solutions. My husband thinks it could be the formaldehyde from the wood. I would love any advice on how to remove odor and what might be causing it. Want to get back on the road, but this has taken my enthusiasm away. Thank you so much.
Gonecamping8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #2

"Gassing" from the wood and wood by-products often occurs with new rigs. This issue usually goes away over time. Dont know if it would work but letting your rig set out in the sun on a hot day with the doors/windows open, might speed up the process.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:27 AM   #3

Thank you. We have tried that on all of our trips. Still hasn't reduced the smell. :(
Gonecamping8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #4

Well--shoot! Maybe its not gassing, guess it could still be a water leak/ mold issue or a rodent has recently met its demise???? Have you had any luck localizing the smell?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

What you explained I think your band new trailer has water damage somewhere you will have to track it down check all corners in cabinets everywhere till u locate it best beat wait till after a good rain .. And that smell usually means it's to late just to fix the leak and will need to pull the damage apart and get rid of the wet wood/insulation. I've looked at a new TT with a buddy a left over and slide floor was rotted. You need to go though and Check a new one just as good as a used unit
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to consider either renting or buying an ozone generator. this is what the hotel and motel industry uses to keep rooms smelling nice. They also kill mold and mildew. Read the directions carefully though as you don't want to be in the unit while running the ozone generator.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #7

Check the fittings on the water heater. The kind folks at Evergreen thought they would test me by not tightening them .. All the fittings on the back of the water heater were loose.
Scoobyd313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonecamping8 View Post
We have a new sunset trail and from day one it has had a very strange moldy kind of smell. The odor seeps into clothing and plastic and seems impossible to remove.While having some warranty work done, we asked to look into it. He didn't find any mold and offered no solutions. My husband thinks it could be the formaldehyde from the wood. I would love any advice on how to remove odor and what might be causing it. Want to get back on the road, but this has taken my enthusiasm away. Thank you so much.
We also have a sunset trail with this odor. It permiates into everything including our food. We had air quality testing done recently and it came back that there were VOC's present and that it was temperature dependent.
freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #9

What are "VOC's"?
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:13 AM   #10

VOC =

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...or-air-quality
Old 04-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Volatile Organic Compounds... solvents used in glues, plastics, and finishes. Febreeze works well in ours when we haven't used it in a while.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #12

Odor in sunset trail

We have had ours for 2 seasons. NOTHING will take the smell out. We are currently fighting to have our rv replaced. The VOC is unidentifiable. We are on an Face book group if you look up crossroads odor
freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell