Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #1

Awning

I purchased my new 19' Airstream in 2010. The first time we tried to use the awning that it came with, a couple things occurred that we didn't realize until later, actually just today when I picked up my trailer after service. One of the brackets that is attached to the awning mechanism broke (who knows when). One of the arm release knob broke off. Again who knows when. The point is how can this awning company charge so much for this when the parts are so poorly made and not warranty. Also I think Airstream needs to re think how the awning are attached to the body the trailer. Basically, there are a few acres that hold the brackets right over the exterior with no backing. One of the brackets just tore off my trailer. Fortunately the awning stayed on the trailer and I was able to secure it with wire until it was fixed. I would pass on the awning in the future, unless the trailer had backing for the brackets and the parts were made in the US. I don't know what this bracket was cast from.
/Users/Stefan/Desktop/IMG_2281.jpg.zip/Users/Stefan/Desktop/IMG_2282.jpg.zip/Users/Stefan/Desktop/IMG_2283.jpg.zip
Stefanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 10:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanek View Post
I purchased my new 19' Airstream in 2010. One of the brackets that is attached to the awning mechanism broke (who knows when). One of the arm release knob broke off. Again who knows when.

Nice brand of trailer I might add. My wife calls them the "Silver Bullet".

I understand your frustration but....

Reading your post I noticed a few things:
1) Your haven't been paying much attention to your awning for the past 8yrs. because there has been at least two mishaps during that time and you don't know when or how they happened. When you first used the awning and things went kinda of screwy, you should of followed through then to resolve the issue and it would of been covered under warranty

2) Your awning is 8yrs, old. How long do you expect things attached to the outside of your trailer to last without personal attention or PM? Or with attention for that matter?

3) I don't think the awning was poorly made, but something along the way happened and wasn't taken care of early on. If the mounting was a problem that should of been noticed and taken care of early on. Sometimes things just happen.

4) Air Stream may have in fact have re-thought how the awning is attached to the body of the trailer in future models...post 2010. RV designs and production procedures do in fact evolve over time.

5) Most warranty issues usually are only for 1 or 2 years, maybe 3 on limited items with very select restrictions.

RV's are used outside, dragged along the freeway at hurricane force wind speeds and they endure a lot. They definitely need constant attention and TLC. It's in their DNA.

If this is all you've encountered in 8yrs., IMO, I think you've done very well.

Your photo wasn't attached but here are some instructions that will help you in the future.
To attach photos when you make a post:

Right below where you type your post/reply are "additional options". In that area there is a "attach files" section with a manage attachment button. Click that button and a little window will open up where you can find your photos, attach them, then click "upload". Then go back up to your post and click "Submit Reply". Your photos will then show up with your post.
BTW...do not use a zip file.

Hope you get your issue resolved.

Good luck my friend.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:55 AM   #3

I can’t view your pictures, but i have to agree with the other poster. Not to be rude, but it sounds like you’ve been pretty lax on your maintenance. My Class C is over 10 years old and while it does have some cosmetic issues related to the sun, every time i go near it I fiddle with something, check knobs and exterior fixtures.
My current issue is my awning developed a small separation of the fabric layers within the last 8-10 months, and it is peeling for want of another term. But that is clearly weather related and I think I’ve used it maybe 3 times in 10 years. That’s about it. Because i try to stay on top of it. I’ll get the awning repaired at my leisure.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #4

Yup, totally makes sense. We just never used the awning because we did not want to damage anymore. I agree though, maintenance is important. I don't know why the picture did not come up, but the metal used was not very good.As far as the brackets holding the awning, even if I maintain by adjusting the scores, there is only so much I can adjust before they strip out. I still think Airstream needs to provide backing just like we do in construction for handicap grab bars. Thank you for your reply though.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
PKI

You should get a bit of model specific help on the Airforums forum. There is a thread on specific model repairs, but if you search on awning repairs you will learn a lot about that system as it's quite similar on all models. https://www.airforums.com/

The Bambi 19 is a very popular trailer and a lot of folks have found them to provide excellent service.

The awning strut on most models attaches to the skin at a lap joint and connects where there is an internal frame to provide additional support. Consequently, the mount should be very secure.

We understand your reluctance to use the awning. We seldom roll ours out as we usually only stay for one night while traveling and don't do a full setup. However, the awning is an important element of the Bambi experience as the coach is small and outside space under the awning adds a lot. Suggest you do what is necessary to correct your problem.

Note - decorative patches are often used for skin strengthening where necessary to reinforce attachment points. There is a thread on that too. "Show us your patches".

Most of the awning threads focused on fabric replacement, but this one might help.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f442...nt-182104.html
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #6

PKI,
Thank you for the response and I will start using the airstream forum. We are excited about using our awning next time we go out which should be next month.
Stefanek

Tags
awning