Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #15

On my last trailers awning there was a tag on it that said NO BLEACH. I would look up the awning maintenance data and see what they want you to use. I currently just use car wash soap. Brush the awning with it. Roll it up. Let it stay rolled for 15-20 mins. Unroll and brush. Rinse. Usually comes out pretty clean. I may have to get a ladder and a brush and hit a stubborn spot. We cam around trees all the time so we'll get some tree sap or crud on it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 07:19 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknj View Post
@mikebreeze - magic erasers are awesome...but cleaning this size awning with one seems like cutting grass with a nail clipper. I'm guessing about 400 Sq feet top and bottom. Now if they make those little wonders in floor broom size... a new market might open up.
They make them in a sponge size:

https://www.mrclean.com/cleanbook/home

Maybe a mop/handle with one of these on the end would be nice.

I have a fairly large awning and I did mine by hand. You do have to use any elbow grease at all.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #17

I used Tilex and then washed it with awning cleaner. Came out real nice. Just be sure to be upwind when spraying it.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I checked with P&G. They do make a Mr Clean Eraser on a mop. However, they licensed the product to a company called Butler. So if you want one to clean your awning here's where to get it:

Magic Eraser

I may just order one for myself.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #19

That is so cool. Thanks @mikebreeze.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
I just did the bleach trick---About 1 cup bleach in a 1gal sprayer full of water. Sprayed the underside, rolled it up for 15 min, unroll and used my soft rv brush to brush the mold off, rinse. hardly any work at all.
This same technique has worked great for me too.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Did the bleach get on your clothes and, if so, did it goof them up?
Yes it does mess up your clothes. I also wear eye goggles, and an old throw away hat. We also add a healthy squirt of dawn dish soap
Old 06-17-2015, 09:30 PM   #22

If you have a Dollar General Store, they sell a product called "Totally Awesome". True to it's name it cleans most anything. Works great on vinyl awnings and sells for $1.00 a bottle. A great product for a great price.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #23

Has anyone used Murphy's Oil Soap?
Old 06-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
Bleach will eat away at the threads used to stitch the awning together. I'd stay away from anything that contains bleach. I have read that 5% hydrogen peroxide sprayed on the awning works great if you roll it back up and let it sit for half an hour then unroll and hose off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
On my last trailers awning there was a tag on it that said NO BLEACH. I would look up the awning maintenance data and see what they want you to use. I currently just use car wash soap. Brush the awning with it. Roll it up. Let it stay rolled for 15-20 mins. Unroll and brush. Rinse. Usually comes out pretty clean. I may have to get a ladder and a brush and hit a stubborn spot. We cam around trees all the time so we'll get some tree sap or crud on it.
From my Dometic awning manual

Periodically clean vinyl or woven acrylic fabric using a mixture of 1/4 cup of dish soap and 1/4 cup of bleach mixed with 5 gallons of warm water. Liberally slosh the mixture on the top of the fabric and roll the awning up for 5 minutes. This will apply the mixture to the bottom as well. Roll it back out and hose off with fresh water. Repeat if necessary. Allow to dry before rolling up.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #25

Awesome: Found at Dollar General Store. The answer to black streaks ,dirt and grime.
Spray it on and watch the dirt float away.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #26

I got all excited when I found totally awesome at the dollar store for a buck. Then I looked up the ingredients and found two different stories. NJ gov declares 2-Butoxyethanol carcinogen and Wikipedia says it's low toxicity and safe. Any chemical engineers out there with an opinion? I'm one of those people who really tries to limit exposure to nasty chemicals. I'll try dish soap first.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #27

We use Murphy's Oil soap. Seems to do the job without stripping the finish off anything.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning