Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #1

Awning Fails in Rain

I have a deep slide on my awning side. The automatic awning is barely pitched downward at full extension to maintain clearance from the slide about 2". There are no known adjustments to adjust the slope further downward or cant it at ether end. Even if some adjustment was possible, it would put the awning in contact with the top of the slide and cause rubbing and eventually abrasions. It appears Starcraft just designed this poorly. The water pools heavily on the awning followed by a heavy waterfall dump on either side. By design?

It would be hard to believe. It will be going to the dealer Saturday but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or similar situations. And no, there are no knobs or adjustments on the extension arms. Thank you!
iMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #2

Yep, the automatic awnings are " easy " to use , but useless in a lot of situations, friend with one on his 2012 Cougar , says " I can't wait till this .... thing, blows off so I can get something that works."
Old 04-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #3

I had a no pitch elec awning on a Heartland North Trail 26LRSS. Hated it. No adjustment for pitch. When it rained it would wait till it got full and which ever side was lower, that's the side the water would dump off. It had gas struts that would contract to allow dumping. When it was sunny and hot out and the awning was facing the suns direction you couldn't lower it to allow for the sun setting. Biggest POS I've seen. Now have a Carefree adjustable elec awning on new 5'er. Way, way nicer.
Guessing you have a 294RESA. If so they could've not put the awning over the slide and just from the slide to the front of the TT. The closet slide may be an issue but probably not. Live and learn I guess.

I think you're right on the idea that it's a POS design. They should've just had a shorter awning and nothing over the slide.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #4

Awning Fails in Rain

Yes, 294RESA. No way around this that I can see. If they mounted the awning on the roof, then maybe the slope would have been sufficient. Very disappointing! Thx for the input.
iMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I had a no pitch elec awning on a Heartland North Trail 26LRSS. Hated it. No adjustment for pitch.
I have a 2014 Heartland Wilderness 2175RB, 4 feet shorter than your North Trail. I think my electric awning is similar to your 26LRSS. I am surprised that your travel trailer electric awning has "no pitch" and "No adjustment for pitch".

The 2175RB has a six point adjustment for awning pitch, from almost no pitch where the outer edge is 8 or 9 feet above ground, to maximum pitch where the outer edge is 5.5 feet above ground (a head knocker).

It has been my experience that rain will collect in the awning when deployed in the no pitch configuration. I never had rain water collect when deployed in max pitch config.

My apologies for taking photos into the sun, but I wasn't going to move my travel trailer for a photo op, and moving the sun is out of the question!
SailorDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #6

My NT 26LRSS was a 2010, so I guess Heartland improved the awning. I have noticed that the tongue is now welded on under the frame as opposed to thru the frame as my 10 was.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:27 AM   #7

I know it's nice to stay dry under your awning, but none of them are supposed to be used as rain/storm shelters.
If it's raining that much/heavy... roll it in. Especially an automatic one.

As far as not clearing the front slide, I think that's a common issue. Even without a front slide, when mine is in the down position, the door will make contact. Just have to be careful.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
when mine is in the down position, the door will make contact. Just have to be careful.
I forgot to mention the "door drag issue" in my previous reply. When my awning is deployed in the max. pitch position, when opening the door, it will contact the bottom of the awning. Not serious, but about 1/2" of interference.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorDon View Post
I forgot to mention the "door drag issue" in my previous reply. When my awning is deployed in the max. pitch position, when opening the door, it will contact the bottom of the awning. Not serious, but about 1/2" of interference.
Yeah, that's bad. It will eventually wear through. :(
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Yeah, that's bad. It will eventually wear through. :(
That's why they invented Duct Tape!
Old 05-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
"My apologies for taking photos into the sun, but I wasn't going to move my travel trailer for a photo op, and moving the sun is out of the question! "

Can't move the Sun for a better pic? Man I though RV buds would do anything to help another
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning