Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Awning Protectors. Needed or just Hype??

Hi, we are new TT owners and have been reading as much as we can about owning a TT, seems that the manufacturers out there are trying to tell us that we need to cover our trailers when parked and that we should have covers on our awnings at all times to prevent them being damaged.

Our question is do we really need these things? Are awning covers necessary and if they are why don't the trailer manufacturers provide them as standard equipment. Also covering the unit in the winter there seems to be two camps, yes and no, we live in the canadian north and I have never seen anyone cover their unit in the winter, including the dealers who have hundreds of TTs on the lots.

Any thought, insights, help, ...?

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never covered ours and it still looks good enough that people are surprised to find that it's 11 years old.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been camping for 20+ years and didn't even know they made a cover for awnings.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #4

Not necessary! Now, if your camper is going to sit out in extreme hot sunshine all the time, a cover could help prevent UV damage. But for most of us, covers would just be a nice luxury. I just turned in a 10 yr. old trailer, and the dealership was amazed at the condition of my awining. All it took was regular cleaning and care. And, it probably helped that my trailer was always stored indoors from November until sometime in March.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #5

Replacement awnings are very expensive. But unless you plan to have your TT for a VERY long time, I doubt it is needed. We plan to get a cover to cover our entire TT for storing over the winter. These are a good investment as they help protect the complete roof and sidewalls and all the caulking, seams, roofing membrane, etc. over the winter months while in storage.

Besides, you may very well never have your TT long enough to worry about the awning anyway.

We had numerous people tell us when bought our last (and first) TT, a brand new 20 footer, that we would probably not own it very long. On the first camping day, the guy on the site next to us asked us if we had "two-foot-itis" yet. Didn't know what to make of it, but here we are a year later on our 2nd TT already! Never had to worry about the awning or anything else on the exterior... (We left that up to my BIL who bought it. )

Some dealers will try and upsell you on things you just don't need. I'd sure pass on the spray-on undercoating if they offer it!
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I ordered my trailer with the cover/protector because it looks nice and neat. Was relatively inexpensive to add to the order so I did it. Glad I did but not sure it is really necessary.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #7

Had a cover for our first. A pain, and ripped easily. On the other hand I never heard of an awning cover. But our awning got a small tear at one end, probably scraped a branch somewhere. Wish I'd had something over it if that would have given some protection. Sail tape for now and will try to get it properly mended when we get down to Phoenix.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all who responded, I have appreciated your comments.

Looks like I will go with just leaving the unit as is and monitor the snow load. Seems to me the biggest problem is tree sap, bird droppings and the like. As for the awning cover the ones I have looked at just seem to be a material like a white sewer pipe split down the side.

Thnaks again
Old 08-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #9

I would go with the built in awning covers that roll up with the awning. Otherwise, that first few inches of awning is continually exposed to the elements. Your awning should last longer and look better. I've seen many a unit with a tattered awning that wasn't protected.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #10

We don't cover ours but we do have the little velcro strap the keeps the arms in tight while driving.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How many people have car covers that were used once or twice and then put away because they were too much trouble? Nuf Sed ! As far as the awning I always put on the type that has a metal cover and felt it was worth the extra bucks. Have seen many rigs with plastic gutter covering the unprotected awning, but only those that were going to be rolled up for a good period of time.

Wind and sun are pretty harsh.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning