Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-13-2014, 04:57 AM   #1
Awning Question

We just purchased a 2014 Palimino Solaire. I asked the dealer if the awning was offset or angled so the rain would run off one end instead of pooling up on it. He said no that the mfg dose not recommend leaving the awning out when it rains. What are your experiences with this? Do you leave it out or take it in when raining?

SNUBBY357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2014, 05:02 AM   #2
Hey Snubby. Welcome to to forum. (I'm new here, too)

I leave mine out unless the wind picks up really hard. If it starts flapping around, I see dollar signs....

Edit: Also, as far as tilting one side or the other; with most you can adjust this yourself with the tension screws [ not sure what they're called ] on either end.

Scott_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:28 AM   #3
I thought the same thing, we are protected from any big wind, and will drop one corner to help the rain run off. Major down pour while we were gone. Never again !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0004.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	70657  
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
USE IT IN THE RAIN! That is one of the perks of having an awning. we even put it out when setting up (while unhitching/setting up). But as pointed out 1)it must be angled
downward 2)one corner lower than the other and 3)if its too windy it must be rolled up
2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2010 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Manufactures do recommend to lower one side for rain runoff.

This is from A&E Owners manual
8. The Automatic Water Release must be set during rain to prevent damage from water build-up. To set, simply lower one of the Support Arms enough to create down slope toward that side.

CAUTION: Whenever heavy or prolonged rain or wlnd is anticipated, or you will leave the Awning unattended, it is best to close Awning.
Damage as a result of weather is not covered by warranty.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
I keep mine first, angled down at a pretty good slope and second, lower on one side. I'm going to have to replace the fabric next year or the year after anyway.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
I have one that will dump automatically which it does but if it's a steady rain I will lower a corner, never leave with awning out.
jfpinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
If I am away from my travel trailer, I will roll up the awning.

If it is a light rain and I am in my trailer, I will extend the awning (assuming light or no wind). If it becomes a downpour, I roll up the awning immediately.
Sailor Don
Livingston, TX
2014 Wilderness 2175 RB
SailorDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I leave my tension knobs loose, whenever it builds up it dumps and comes back up to the normal position. I use it in the rain all the time but I do close it at night when we go to bed just in case the wind comes up or we get a crazy downpour.
TV: 2012 Ford F350 CC 6.7L 4x4
TT: 2014 Wind River 250RDSW [Dual Crown 6v, Trimetric, Iota 15.4v 55A charger]
dagmandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
Depending on what kind of awning you have there should be no problem leaving it out in the rain. Some have gas struts that retract at which ever end the water pools up on. Be careful not to be standing under that end when the strut retracts and gals of water start draining. If you don't have the retractable strut feature then try and have your trailer a little high in the front so the rain water will have a direction to run off. We've had 3 different types of awnings. 1st was a manual type that we could adjust how we want. 2nd was probably like yours. It went straight out and parallel to the trailer, with the retractable struts. 3rd is a power adjustable awning. Best of the best. We can angle it how we want.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After the derecho of a few years back, I have become very cautious about leaving it out when we are not there. It has been in my yard with the awning out for about a week, but that was only after checking the National Weather Service first It is angled down at one corner.
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH, 2015 Ram1/2 ton Hemi
lgarcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #12
Well, first thing to find out is what awning you have.
Carefree, Dometic, Lippert (doh), and is it electric or manual, and what style.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
So all of you are saying you roll your awning up and take in everything you have under the awning? Or you leave things out to get wet? Isn't the point of an awning to keep things dry? We use the tension tie down (ours is manual) and has been out in bad FL storms.
JohnWW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #14
I've been in some pretty good rains with the awning out. I keep mine angled down where it barely clears the door and lower on one side. If you have enough slope, water will run off rather than accumulate.

fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote