Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #1

Awning support?

I have a 30' Jayco TT with a very large awning. We love the awning but in anything more than a breeze I feel like it will rip off the side of the TT or bend the arm. Is there a way to support the awning with poles or tie down ropes? Looking for any experiences you have good or bad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 12:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknj View Post
I have a 30' Jayco TT with a very large awning. We love the awning but in anything more than a breeze I feel like it will rip off the side of the TT or bend the arm. Is there a way to support the awning with poles or tie down ropes? Looking for any experiences you have good or bad.
franknj
Google "rv awning tie downs".
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 04-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #3

When a big wind comes along, good luck with tie downs.

Those awnings should be good up to 20 mph winds.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #4

It's probably an electric awning, they aren't intended to be used. Sorry, just my opinion.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #5

Yes, it is an electric awning. I don't have an electric sensor so I think I will just try some 550 chord to screw stakes. Let's see what happens. If the wind gets too bad I close it anyway. Thanks for the comments.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Yes, it is an electric awning. I don't have an electric sensor so I think I will just try some 550 chord to screw stakes. Let's see what happens. If the wind gets too bad I close it anyway. Thanks for the comments.
Something to think about: by the time a big enough gust of wind comes along to rip the fabric where it's attached to the trailer, it's too late to roll it up anyway.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:02 PM   #7

Good point...I do try not to leave it unattended when it's windy. Just a habit to push the button to retract before we leave camp.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Good point...I do try not to leave it unattended when it's windy. Just a habit to push the button to retract before we leave camp.
Always a great idea. If you aren't using it, roll it up. Heck, it only takes 10 seconds.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:16 AM   #9

My feeling is that the new awnings either manual or electric that are of the newer design without the support braces that go from the awning head rail to the lower edge of the trailer side are not as strong or secure as the older design. Yes you can walk by either end more easily because the support brace is not as low. Yes it makes it easier to actuate with the electric motor. The problems are that they are much more easily damaged by even light winds and they have a higher incidence of ripping out of the side of the trailer when they whip in the wind. Talk to any RV service shop to check this out. Mine is old school and with a guy rope from the head rail end to a screw in anchor the awning is pretty secure, I roll it up for safety when the winds pick up. I probably had to retract it 10 times in 5 days at the Oregon coast.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Tie-down straps alone are not recommended for cantilevered awnings. You should use adjustable support poles along with straps, so the awning mechanism is not stressed in one direction only.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #11

Awnings are for shade, not storm shelter.
Always roll it up when windy or heavy rain is a chance.
Modern, electric units are so easy to roll in. But incase you don't, they need to be able to move and fold on their gas struts.

Tags
awning