Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2005, 03:41 PM   #1

After 12,000 miles my 20' awning on my 26' TT. decided to unwind on the rear. The front never did unwind. Ruined about 1 1/2 foot of the awning. Wondering what to do.....have it repaired or do I have to replace it. Has anyone dealt with this problem? I don't want to experience the unwinding again. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2005, 03:41 PM   #2

After 12,000 miles my 20' awning on my 26' TT. decided to unwind on the rear. The front never did unwind. Ruined about 1 1/2 foot of the awning. Wondering what to do.....have it repaired or do I have to replace it. Has anyone dealt with this problem? I don't want to experience the unwinding again. Any suggestions?

Old 05-19-2005, 03:49 PM   #3

I bought pins for my big awning and drilled a hole thru the arms when in the stowed position. With a pin thru the holes the arms are locked.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:50 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I always worried about that after hearing stories such as yours. Check out the Awning Saver --> http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=174

Bill
Old 05-23-2005, 06:29 AM   #5

I went through 2 awnings on my previous 5vr. Had them replaced both times. Cheaper to replace than repair. Insurance covered it both times.

Doug
Old 05-23-2005, 09:31 AM   #6

How is it possible to use the awning saver on the above mentioned reply? Do you have to use a ladder to install it after you roll it up?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:48 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

charliez

No ladder required. You simply use your awning pull to untighten or tighten the bracket when your open & closing the awning.

Works pretty slick.

Bill
Old 05-31-2005, 03:14 PM   #8

Two tie wraps wrapped around the support will solve it. Drillings holes for pins is also a good idea.

The idea is to keep the two supports together. There are lots of choices.

VA3BJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:08 PM   #9

Hmmmm? Now I'm a little confused.
Just how does the awning unwind while in transit? Are there two ways this can happen?

1. The arms drop from the proper upright stowed position, pulling the awning out with them to its destruction on the open hiway.

2. The arms remain in the proper upright stowed position but the roller tube unwinds, billowing out the awning canopy like a wayward sail.

I have a plastic locking mechanisms on my awning arms that prevents the arms from falling. Do I need something on the roller tube
to prevent it from unwinding also?

I looked at the link showing the roller tube locking device and picture (for about $50!), But the picture shows that this device would be in the way of my sliding awning arm to be locked in the open position at the extended end of the arm. Thanks boondocker
Old 05-31-2005, 05:39 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The locking mechanism on the roller is the weak link.

Not sure what you mean about the device being in the way of your sliding awning arm.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:27 PM   #11

I use a small 1" wide plastic web type strap that has a Velcro surface on them. About .50 cents each and work great.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:22 PM   #12

Hi Warpath, if you'll notice, most of the responses are concerned with keeping the arms from opening. Pins, wires, straps etc. I use a velcro strap wrapped around and pulled tight around the arms, in addition to a plastic oem holder attached to the arms. All these methods have nothing to do with the roller itself unwinding. These all insure that the arms remain together and in the upright stowed position.

Now you mention the roller is the weak link. This is a different problem. The picture of the roller holding device shows the device attached to the upper end of an awning arm and also attached to the roller.

My awning (similar to most I've seen) requires that the upper arm slides up an inside track of the larger second arm and locks into the end of the larger support arm.

The picture looks as though this device would prevent the sliding arm from locking at the top of the larger arm. It would run into the device before reaching the end of the larger arm. ? Seems like it any way?
Old 06-06-2005, 06:17 AM   #13

The Exact same thing happened to me. The back end swung out on a windy day. Couple of additions to this Thread.

Insurance covered the cost to replace: This is true, but my insurance and I would assume most companies depreciate awnings. My Company depreciates 20% the first year and 10% every year after that. So with my awning being 4 years old I am only covered for 50%!!! Thus this replace is going to cost me $600 Canadian with a $50 deductible. Take whatever steps you can to prevent this from happening.

Dealer where mine is being fixed indicated that over time the springs can weaken and that can cause the tension to slack off. Thus the locking mechanism at the top may not be as tight as it was when it was new. A strong wind in this case was enough to lift it out of the locked position at the back.

The Velcro strap solution is what I am going to do whit my new awning for sure. I have an uncle who had the same thing happen and he has since used the Velcro straps and has not had any further problems.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:27 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It seems we all have or will have the awning unfurl at some time while in transit. Mine finally did. After reading many, many ideas on how to stop it, and finding out that it was NOT the support arms, but the tube rotating back wards causing it to sail. I too ordered the "Awning Saver". It works great and if you don't believe me try to lower the awning without loosening the saver.