Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #1

Axle problems

I am a new member on this site but have browsed here before fishing for information. I feel the site is well done and informative. My reason for starting this thread is to hopefully find good advice on how to proceed with needed axle replacement. My TT weighs 6K lb dry and fully loaded I try to keep it just below 7K lb. It has two 3500 lb axles on leaf springs.

I had a bearing go bad on my last trip which damaged the spindle of the rear axle so axle replacement is required. My question is, since I consistently tow at near axle capacity, is it OK and safe to replace the 3500 lb axle now with an axle of a higher capacity, say 4500, and plan on doing the other at a later date? I have read, but not verified, that this can be done and still keep the same hub, tire and spring size.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.
Steve
smatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #2

Pretty sure you can do it that way, but suggest you go ahead and upgrade both at same time. I think you will feel better that the other old axle will not have same problem.
Also remember the axles never see the total trailer weight--10% or so is on the tow vehicle hitch.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
If you get too much axle the trailer will bounce if you are not near the axle capacity.

Best upgrade would be to torsion axles to get a better ride.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you upgrade (more weight) the axle don't you need to upgrade the tires so they can carry that weight? Just sayin'
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #5

Thanks to each of you for the response. You made some good points that I had not thought about. I had hoped to upgrade only the axles and keep the same springs to avoid too stiff of a suspension. It is now clear to me that a larger axle will require larger rims and tires which may create a clearance issue. More research now!
smatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smatth View Post
Thanks to each of you for the response. You made some good points that I had not thought about. I had hoped to upgrade only the axles and keep the same springs to avoid too stiff of a suspension. It is now clear to me that a larger axle will require larger rims and tires which may create a clearance issue. More research now!
Unless you upgrade axle, springs and tires (rims?) now or plan to upgrade the springs and tires later there seems to be no reason to just upgrade to a heavier axle. The capacity is limited to the weakest link.

I think mismatching can lead to problems in the future.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #7

Nothing wrong with more capacity axles. But the hubs could be kept the same with possibly the same bearings that would possibly not suit the OP.
Some axle upgrade usually involve thicker tubing, because all axles have possibly same OD.
The failure of bearings is due to 2 things. Dirt or human error.
What I have observed is bend axles caused by overloading or hitting potholes at high speed, the stiffer springs will damage axles faster then anything else.
So any upgrading could start with better axle tubing and on to better hubs. Tires could remain to suit fit.
I have a service trailer with 3500 lbs set up and can load really heavy with no problem. And hold the load well and ride much smoother then any tandem unit
Old 06-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
If you upgrade (more weight) the axle don't you need to upgrade the tires so they can carry that weight? Just sayin'
Changing axles to a higher load capacity does not change the trailer's GVWR.

Tires are fitted to the trailer's certified GAWR so even with axles having more load rapacity the recommended tire sizes found on the trailer's certification label/tire placard will still be valid.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Changing axles to a higher load capacity does not change the trailer's GVWR.

Tires are fitted to the trailer's certified GAWR so even with axles having more load rapacity the recommended tire sizes found on the trailer's certification label/tire placard will still be valid.

FastEagle
Agree - If you upgrade the axles, tires, springs, hangers, etc the frame will still be the same. Perhaps if you loaded the extra weight directly above the springs you would be OK - perhaps. But if the weights were either side of the axle the frame would be subjected to extra stresses it may not be built for.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
i had this exact issue with a Sunnybrook 26CKS. After much, much research and phone calls I traded it. If you mod it and it goes bad you will have real issues if you want to sell it.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote