Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #1

Axle? Tire? Help!

Purchased 2014 Northwood Nash 23D June 2. Tires original, but even wear. Over the 4,000 to 5,000 miles I pulled it, rear passenger-side tire wore unevenly. Other three fine. I checked pressure every 1000 miles or so and adjusted as necessary. Tire place said they'd find and repair the problem when they put on new tires. Then they said they could only put on tires and sent me elsewhere. Next place, guy walked around trailer, proclaimed bent axle and said "it was this tire, right?" NO. Wrong axle, wrong side of trailer. He said it still could have caused the problem. I really need your help with this. I've had very poor luck with my two other repairs and don't want to waste more money. Included are photos of the bad tire and one of the others for comparison. Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4408.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	140795

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4409.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	140796
AmiLaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #2

FEATHERED and/or CHAMBER WEAR
Bent axle spindle (new axle)
OR
ALIGNMENT

Trailer shop or a semi trucker shop
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:34 PM   #3

Agree it seems to be camber or toe-in is messed up. Trailer axle is either mounted wrong or bent.

If the wear is uneven, that could be bent wheel or hub not machined square, but your description indicates it is same all over that tire.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #4

Take it to a large alignment shop that does RV's. I had a similar issue once. Dealer said it's the tire. Tire dealers says, tires just don't wear out like that on their own. Went to an RV alignment shop. Sure enough the axle was bent. They bent it back in place. Had both axles done for a total of $195.00 FWIW it had Lippert axles. The tech guy said he thought the axle material was pretty soft. Guessing it didn't take much to bend back in shape. He added some extra camber also.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
If your axle is bent you should be able to see by looking from the rear and sighting along the side, another way to check is to park on a level surface and use a level on your rim to see if they are the same. have someone drive and stand behind and watch to see if anything looks different with that one tire combo, I seriously doubt that there is anything wrong with the other axle that is not wearing tires. jack it up and see if the bearings are loose causing a slight wobble, I like to check the "simple" things before saying that and axle is to blame, it takes quite alot to damage and axle, although one good pot hole can do alot. As far as alignment a quick check is to take a tape measure and go from the center of the axle to the center of the receiver (where the ball goes) it should have the same measurement.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #6

And neither the guys at the tire shop or the other guy could tell me that. Sigh. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have them look at shocks (if any), springs and shackles also as they try to figure out what caused the bent axle. They might suggest going to a heavier leaf spring for better support. A switch out is fairly reasonably priced, and can be a DIY project with a little skill and simple tools ...
Old 10-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
It could be as simple as a broken belt in the tire causing the wear pattern on that one tire. Usually if an axle is bent, both tires wear funny, inside on one, outside on the other. It could be bent on the outside of the spring hanger. I would check as Harley1994 suggested with an eye and level. Then if it looks OK, I would have the tire checked by a competent tire technician. I still think that it is a broken belt.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #9

Looks like the 2nd tire pic also shows uneven wear, just not as bad. As stated, check wheel bearings, shackle bushings, etc.

Sure doesn't look like a inflation issue.

Were both of these tires shown on the same axle?
Old 10-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #10

Don't think so. For the sake of expediency, I think I just took pics of the two tires on the same side of the trailer. But the other three tires look to have pretty much normal wear patterns.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:48 AM   #11

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Due to the fact that there is still a chunk of tread left on the outside edge I think it's a bad tire. The tire problem could have been caused by misalignment overheating the tire. Going with the cheapest fix first, you need a new tire(s), dismounting the bad tire may reveal what happened. Find a tire dealer that does alignments on RV's or tractor trailers for the tire replacement(s) and they may check the alignment for free or at a minimal cost. Adjustments if necessary will most likely cost more.
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #12

Thanks. The wear was on the outside of the tire. Got new tires, but after saying they would check things like bearings, etc, the tire place said they weren't equipped to check anything; they could only replace the tires. About to head back out on the road and don't want any unpleasant surprises!
Old 10-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #13

Your only real answer it to take it to an alignment shop that has the space to put the trailer on a rack and check the axles. For my Suites, in Fort Worth, it was quoted at $225 an axle to check and align if needed.

Looks to me like it was curbed badly at some point. Is this on the front axle?

Doesn't sound right that all was ok prior to your purchase--was it used normally, or just sitting since 2014?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote