Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #1

axles reversed ???

Greetings!
We will be towing our 25' trailer up a rather rough road on our property and leaving it for a year or so, for weekend get-aways...
It has been suggested that we have the axles reversed / ie placed BELOW the leaf springs (versus on top) to gain more clearance...
We'd appreciate any input / opinions on this as we are New to the tralier world!!!
Gratefully, Richard and Debbie
Bend, Or. 541-389-4523

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #2

If you only plan on one trip in/out, then I would try as it is--unless you already know there will be tail-dragging. I'd opt for being super slow/careful before changing the axles.
Is it just "rough" or are there a lot of dips/streams to negotiate.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #3

Thanks for your input --- I think we could get it in there just being cautious --but-- to get the trailer out from the end of the road we'd either need to back downhill a couple 100 feet --or-- back it off the road on the 'uphill' side to turn it around...
Gratefully, Richard
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #4

Question: your truck 4x4? That will help a lot on backing downhill. If it 4x4, and has low range, that would be best for maneuvering the trailer carefully.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
I had that done to my first 5er.. only because the 2000 Ford SuperDuty had such high bed rails. It was a blessing in that it allowed me to back up my VERY steep driveway without building a 'bridge' to transition from the road to the driveway.

One thing to keep in mind is the height of the rig once the flip is done. You are probably running close to 13' and I've seen a lot of overpasses that say 13'6". Also, canopy's at service stations, etc. CAUTION
Old 04-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Way back when, we had a 21' Thor Wanderer 5er low-profile that was built to be "half ton towable". It worked fine with our '95 Toyota T-100, but was too low to the ground to comfortably tow with our '99 F-250. So we moved the spring perches from under the axle to over the axle, thus raising the kingpin about 4". That gave us more clearance between the top of the bed and the underside of the 5er, but gave the trailer a look of wearing "high water pants". No disadvantage to the raised 5er, other than the image and having to replace the 2-step entry steps with a 3-step model.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
True, as long as you are aware of both the height and the higher center of gravity in corners/curves
Old 04-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #8

Dexter Axle sells a kit for that purpose. The axles are not rotated to use the same spring-mount because there is a factory bend in the axle to counter-act trailer weight, and maintain the proper amount of tire camber. That kit has everything required to "flip" the axles to below the springs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #9

Actually we'll be having someone else tow it with a big truck/low gears, then leaving it for a year or two ----- I've not towed anything but my fishin boat!
Thanks for your continued input, Richard
Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #10

Thanks for the 'caution' Bill ---- I better see how high it is now!!!
Gratefully, Richard
Old 04-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #11

Thanks for the tip; I've seen a couple raised trailers and don't mind the image personally...
Do you think it would have any impact on resale (+or-)?

Gratefully, Richard
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #12

Thanks for the Dexter website---we'll take a look........
Gratefully, Richard