Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

Back to dealer or fix myself

So we just took delivery yesterday of a 2012 Jayco Swift 267bhs, and luckily had a heavy rain last night.

When I checked this morning the front cargo compartment had some water in it. I can see how where some of the "caulking" around the compartment was put over the old, and there are some gaps between the "caulk" and the side of the trailer.

I really couldn't tell where the water came from, but I am assuming this is the culprit.

My question is should I drive it an hour back to the dealer or is this something I can just fix myself? I figure it would be just like sealing a bathtub?

Is there a certain type of "caulk" I am suppose to use?

Thanks for the insight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Although a one hour drive is a pain, I would want to document the leak with the dealer in case there is hidden damage you can't see and might cause problems in the future.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On a rig under warranty it would likely be a good idea to have a leak problem documented along with their efforts to resolve the problem. Sometimes my documentation of a problem was done by phone or email to the mfg'er, and getting recommendations for a fix from them. Then, I sometimes did my own repairs depending on what I could see.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #4

Hello Tracert, After several years of having different types of trailers, here is my three cents (inflation):
Although I hope for the best and congratulate you on the new toy, sadly, this will most likely not be the last minor issue you find with the trailer. Once you take it out the first few times, I would guess you will find 3 or 4 more minor things (I hope for minor) that you will have to have repaired by the dealership/service center over the next few months. If I were you, I would go ahead and start a list of things that you find (to include this leak) because you really have no way of knowing how long it has been leaking and if it has already caused other damage you cannot see/have not yet found. If you are worried about the potential for water damage this leak might cause in the future and did want to at least temporarily repair it, I would recommend a good quality silicone sealant (white or clear depending on surrounding trim and sealants). Again, just my three cents. -Glenn
Montana Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #5

Thank you all for your quick responses. For now I am just going to keep a keen eye on it, and make sure to dry it out. It is supposed to rain the next few days, so it will give me another chance to try and figure out the leak.

Once we have our maiden voyage, we will keep track of anything else we find wrong, and take it into the dealer. Luckily the place we normally camp cuts the distance to the dealer in half.

I am not surprised by the issues, which is why I am really not upset. It just seems to be a fact of life from reading that a new trailer is going to have issues, otherwise they wouldn't need a warranty lol.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #6

Another question. I am thinking about picking up some gutter downspout extensions for the short term. Are they all universal or do I need certain ones depending upon my trailer.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have short one now. I looked into getting gutter spouts that extend farther and they look like it would be an easy swap but I am not dealing with a 2012 model and haven't done the job yet.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracert View Post
So we just took delivery yesterday of a 2012 Jayco Swift 267bhs, and luckily had a heavy rain last night.

When I checked this morning the front cargo compartment had some water in it. I can see how where some of the "caulking" around the compartment was put over the old, and there are some gaps between the "caulk" and the side of the trailer.

I really couldn't tell where the water came from, but I am assuming this is the culprit.

My question is should I drive it an hour back to the dealer or is this something I can just fix myself? I figure it would be just like sealing a bathtub?

Is there a certain type of "caulk" I am suppose to use?

Thanks for the insight.
Like many others said: document and make the dealer/OEM fix it. However, they might never get it right. As a DIY, I use Loctite one-part polyurethane sealant for windows, doors, etc. White, strong, and flexible. Check www.delamrepair.com for sealing kits.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is real possible for the dealer/manufacturer to claim you added to the problem if you attempt to fix it yourself. (used the wrong sealer, didn't do it properly, missed the leak etc).
Take it back to the dealer and get it done by them under warranty
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Glen View Post
...I would recommend a good quality silicone sealant (white or clear depending on surrounding trim and sealants)...
Do NOT use a silicone sealant! Beside better products being available, once silicone has been applied, nothing will ever stick to it, including silicone. All traces have to be removed before anything will ever stick there again and it is a bear to remove it all.