Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
Back Up Camera + Maps. Need Suggestions

Just recently purchased a new travel trailer and in the past I have had my stand alone (about 6 years old now but updated maps) Garmin GPS send me on some crazy routes. My new TT has the pre-wired back up camera mount for the Furrion. My Jeep grand Cherokee has built in NAV but maps are from 2012. My choices:

- Buy the Furrion back up camera and update the built in NAV ($500) - no RV GPS in this scenario
- Buy the Garmin 770 (or 660) RV GPS and the Furrion (will have lots of cameras, etc. on the dash in this scenario) (~$700)
- Buy the Garmin RV GPS with Garmin's back up camera ($570)
- Update the built in NAV and forget the back up camera ($150)

The reason I am struggling with this is the reviews on any of the RV GPS's aren't stellar (not bad either). I am also unsure how many monitors I want on my dash as I have a place for my phone also and use it's maps but I can always move that.

Anyone utilize any of the above scenarios?
jk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #2

I haven't found the need for a backup camera on the trailer. That's what my wife is for. I have the built in one on the truck I use for hitching which is very helpful.

For nav i'm just using my phone for the time being. Google maps, apple maps, waze, etc. it's working for my current needs. Free and always up to date.

If I were full timing or doing much longer road trips i'd consider the garmen 770. Especially if I was pulling a 5th wheel.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I use the Garmin nuvi that I have had for awhile, the Furrion rear view camera on the trailer when towing that I had the dealer include in the deal, and a Walmart backup camera on the tow vehicle for hooking up that I paid around $70 I believe
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #4

I have the Furrion observation/backup camera and love it and I use google maps on my phone for directions. The observation camera is great for switching lanes without having to judge distances with your mirrors.
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:32 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeV View Post
I have the Furrion observation/backup camera and love it and I use google maps on my phone for directions. The observation camera is great for switching lanes without having to judge distances with your mirrors.

Yes I also love the Furrion camera it is a game changer for both towing and backing up
Old 04-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #6

I haven't found any need for a backup camera on a trailer. I've been towing for a long time and have had to learn how to backup without one. For towing forward, why? I know where I've been, I can see the back of the trailer in my mirrors. I certainly don't care if someone is following me. If the lens becomes too dirty to see anything or the camera quits working then what learned skills does one rely on? Mirrors are pretty reliable. I've never had one stop working. If there's one piece of advice I can pass on to others it would be learn how to tow without the cameras.

As for the GPS I have a love hate relation ship with them, mostly hate. Or maybe I should say the little bit of hate overshadows the love. Paper maps don't keep nagging me that I've missed a turn where there was none.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
I haven't found any need for a backup camera on a trailer. I've been towing for a long time and have had to learn how to backup without one. For towing forward, why? I know where I've been, I can see the back of the trailer in my mirrors. I certainly don't care if someone is following me. If the lens becomes too dirty to see anything or the camera quits working then what learned skills does one rely on? Mirrors are pretty reliable. I've never had one stop working. If there's one piece of advice I can pass on to others it would be learn how to tow without the cameras.

As for the GPS I have a love hate relation ship with them, mostly hate. Or maybe I should say the little bit of hate overshadows the love. Paper maps don't keep nagging me that I've missed a turn where there was none.
I've towed boats,campers, and trailers with heavy equipment for 30 years and know how to use mirrors. The observation camera still provides a benefit.
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Yes it does not replace proper mirrors or the proper use of but after having the camera then you understand
Old 04-25-2018, 05:55 AM   #9

I added an backup/observation camera. I use it more for seeing what is behind the trailer going down the road. Anyone who been towing for any length of time has had the small car car dart out from behind the trailer and surprise you.
72Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
I use a combination. The GPS is helpful but it doesn't always take you the best route. Some research and a paper map can help you determine that. A paper map can provide so much more information.

Personally, I would invest in a good GPS and a membership at AAA for free maps.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #11

"- Buy the Garmin RV GPS with Garmin's back up camera ($570)"

This is the route that I took and for the same reason, only one display on dash
My 2500RL came with the Furrion backup camera mount so I mounted the Garmin camera on the Furrion mount. The clearance lights on the TT are about 2" from the mount, so that's where I wired to for 12vdc to power the camera.

Now I have one display on the dash for the RV770 Garmin, to turn on the camera I turn on the running lights, works even while moving.

I like the Garmin and have no problems with it, their method of data entry is a bit odd but usable.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:42 PM   #12

You really need a Garmin plus a tablet or phone for best navigation. I use both incase I disagree with one. I have had Garmin give me a wrong turn. I pull up Google maps to see my current location, zoom in and see where I need to go.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ijwilliams Send a message via MSN to Ijwilliams Send a message via Yahoo to Ijwilliams
Thumbs up RV Trip Wizard app was our answer.

We use RV Trip Wizard app to route our trips. You put in your dimensions and it will route you on roads you can travel. We drive using our nav, Google maps and/or Wayz.

That app also lists campgrounds, etc. Best app there is!

We're now pulling a MicroMinnie 2106.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk70 View Post
Just recently purchased a new travel trailer and in the past I have had my stand alone (about 6 years old now but updated maps) Garmin GPS send me on some crazy routes. My new TT has the pre-wired back up camera mount for the Furrion. My Jeep grand Cherokee has built in NAV but maps are from 2012. My choices:

- Buy the Furrion back up camera and update the built in NAV ($500) - no RV GPS in this scenario
- Buy the Garmin 770 (or 660) RV GPS and the Furrion (will have lots of cameras, etc. on the dash in this scenario) (~$700)
- Buy the Garmin RV GPS with Garmin's back up camera ($570)
- Update the built in NAV and forget the back up camera ($150)

The reason I am struggling with this is the reviews on any of the RV GPS's aren't stellar (not bad either). I am also unsure how many monitors I want on my dash as I have a place for my phone also and use it's maps but I can always move that.

Anyone utilize any of the above scenarios?
Old 05-01-2018, 09:25 AM   #14

I sprang for the Furrion 'observation' camera (a step up from the 'backup' version. I don't think it is that great, resolution not so good and color is bad. I've gone through all the adjustments multiple times, and not much improvement. I recently picked up a no-name WiFi action cam on sale for $35 - not good while driving, but could be just fine to support backing in or hitching up.

I just bought a 2018 truck built two months ago and the built in nav maps are from 2015. Apparently I can upgrade them to 2016 for a few hundred. Fortunately, the vehicle has Android Auto, so I just use Google Maps on my phone, but shows and is controlled on the dash unit.

Of the options you list, I like "Buy the Garmin RV GPS with Garmin's back up camera ($570)" best.
Jjkd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera