Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

Backup Camera

Looking for a wireless back up camera for my 26' TT. What do you have that you would buy again? Thanks, JR

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #2

After doing a lot of research on wireless backup cameras and saw many people with bad results I decided on a wired unit.

This is the one I bought RVS-770163-213 I used it continuously during a 2000 mile trip and not one blip.

I would highly recommend this unit.

I know you said wireless but just thought I would offer another option.

TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
Looking for a wireless back up camera for my 26' TT. What do you have that you would buy again? Thanks, JR
Hello,
After getting a cheap from ebay I was disillusioned but then I found a superb one. We went this weekend camping and it worked better than I expected. Crystal clear pic and never dropped a signal.

Please see all my mods in this thread...

Some Pics of RV Mods/Upgrades I Made
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #4

I went hard wired for the truck, at the time the wireless units had why too much interference. But they have come a long way on them with a higher frequency and digital units , but higher $$$$

Matrix- is the Mode King !!!!! And sure he will be happy to give you the details

Just have your American Express Card ready ! He's a high roller !

And a great addition to the Forum !
Old 07-11-2016, 08:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTwoSome View Post
After doing a lot of research on wireless backup cameras and saw many people with bad results I decided on a wired unit.

This is the one I bought RVS-770163-213 I used it continuously during a 2000 mile trip and not one blip.

I would highly recommend this unit.

I know you said wireless but just thought I would offer another option.
Wireless can have interference, so I would also recommend the wired system. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Fan33 View Post
Wireless can have interference, so I would also recommend the wired system. Good luck!
I would have to say you ate right but Only the analog ones do have interference. The digital ones do not have interference at all or not that I can see. They are amazing.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
I went hard wired for the truck, at the time the wireless units had why too much interference. But they have come a long way on them with a higher frequency and digital units , but higher $$$$

Matrix- is the Mode King !!!!! And sure he will be happy to give you the details

Just have your American Express Card ready ! He's a high roller !

And a great addition to the Forum !
Thanks Jim for crowning me that title lol.

And just so no one is confused, I don't charge for any information/advice lol. No need for a credit card.
Seriously I knew what you meant!!
Old 07-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #8

Yep ! No credit cards ! I always send cash !! Plain brown envelope, marked "Education Material" Of course it's less with the exchange rate.

Hope everyone knows my sense of humor ! Good or bad !

Where's the post about the latest trip ! Sure you where relaxing and thinking what else you can modify ! Hopefully with a cold Molson !
Old 07-12-2016, 12:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Yep ! No credit cards ! I always send cash !! Plain brown envelope, marked "Education Material" Of course it's less with the exchange rate.

Hope everyone knows my sense of humor ! Good or bad !

Where's the post about the latest trip ! Sure you where relaxing and thinking what else you can modify ! Hopefully with a cold Molson !
Hey Jim, with a danger of hijacking this poor guys thread, I will try and keep it on track.

Latest trip to Hemlcken Falls was outstanding. We also hiked to Dawson Falls. Got back last night and spent 5 hours cleaning the truck and RV. It was filthy as we traveled overall about 80km on logging roads. Yikes!!

Anyway, the wireless digital back up camera that I just installed was just outstanding. I can't tell you the confidence it gave me and backing in was just a breeze. I didn't even need the wife!! Lol

Do you remember how much of a loser I felt the first time I tried backing into my drive way almost taking an hour lol. Well yesterday coming home I just put it in reverse and drove right in first time. Confidence booster for sure.

I urge everyone if they are inexperienced to get one. It really helps!!

As for thinking about other mods... I did think of plenty. Will bounce some ideas to the forum soon. But I have decided to get one more addition camera to look inside the RV. From the bedroom right to the end of the RV. No... get your pervy brain out of the gutter lol!! It's just to check as we are driving that nothing untoward is happening etc. You never know. Forgot to lock one of the large drawers and it flung open. No harm done but we dodged a bullet. Back up camera would have been useful for that time.

So the moral of this story is GET A BACK UP CAMERA. Spend the extra and get a quality wireless/wired one. If you can get a digital one which doesn't have the interference like the analogue ones.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:39 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
I would recommend a wired unit from Rear View Safety, many options. There's a difference in backup cameras and rear view cameras. They also have options for one or two side mounted rear view cameras in addition to the main rear camera giving you good view all around your rig.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:34 AM   #11

I installed a wireless system from Rear View Safety. To improve reception, I added an auxillary antenna (supplied free from RV Safety) and mounted the antenna on the lefts side of my trailer just below the roof line. The wire runs from the camera, up to the roof line and over to the side. The system works very well, but you can get interference on occasion. I wired the system into one of the running lights at the top of the rear of the camera so that I can use the camera at anytime just by turning on the running lights. That way, in heavy traffic, I can turn it on and it helps with lane changes. My system can handle up to 4 cameras, so I may eventually add a camera, mount it on my truck or trailer and use it hitching up.

If you have the ability, I do think a wired system will still have superior performance. I just didn't want the hassle of doing it myself or paying the $$ to have it done. 95% or so of the time, the wireless unit gets the job done...the picture is great, the monitor is a nice size (for a larger vehicle such as a pick up truck) and it's great for backing into campsites, maneuvering in tight spots, etc.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #12
dms

Used wired units for years and they are good, BUT, a hassle with all the wiring in the camper (or trailer), to and into the coach or truck, etc.

Now use a Voyager Digital system and it works flawlessly. In our 45' coach, when towing a 20' enclosed trailer, never lose signal and the distance is 65+ feet. I experimented with it during install and the signal will go 1/4 mile. Picture is digital and very crisp. Color during the day and has infrared sensors for night.

Somewhat pricey at just under $500 but worth it.

Voyager WVOS541 Digital Wireless Observation System - Jensen and Voyager WVOS541 - Backup Systems - Camping World

Cheaper on Ebay or craigslist.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #13

I bought a Garmin nüvi 2798LMT Portable GPS with Backup Camera. The camera (mounted to the back of the trailer) is wired to a sender unit that I mounted on the front of the trailer. The sender links with the Garmin display wirelessly. I wired the camera to come on when I turn on the running lights. That way I can view the camera on the display at any time (like when I want to change lanes on a busy highway)
So far it has worked well for me.
I mounted the camera so you can hardly see it on the back of the trailer.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We got a unit sold by Camping World. The camera is mounted on the rear of the trailer, replacing the center clearance light at the top of the trailer. It gets it's power whenever your vehicle lights are on. The screen is held on the windshield by a suction cup, and plugs into a 12v plug.
Since it's on whenever your lights are on, it also provides visibility of the back of the trailer when going down the road.
We've used ours for two years without a glitch. Their part number is Voyager WVOS541.

Quadzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera