Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-18-2016, 05:08 AM   #1
BAL Hide a Spare

Very interest in this for my Keystone Bullet 22RBPR. Does anybody here have one? Kindly share your thoughts. Thanks, JR

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

2014 Keystone Bullet 22RBPR
2005 GMC Envoy Denali
johnnyringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 05:12 AM   #2
I got an unwanted ad, and nothing more from the OP

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:42 AM   #3
Installed one, same unit, EZ install, nice product, have not had to use it, thankfully.
Gofishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #4
They work just fine. Unfortunately I found that Keystone mounted ours so far back that the spare dragged at least 2x, possibly more. Once on a highly crowned secondary road and another in a gas station with very high tank fills. No damage beyond a little bow in the mounting bar between the frame rails. It means that I now have a useless accessory and the spare now rides in the truck bed.

So, with that said, they do well but you will need to be careful where you travel if your TT is fairly low.
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:57 AM   #5
We have the BAL Hide-A-Spare on our 2012 Evergreen Element. Last summer we were right at 42,000 miles on our Element and was time for the annual "Lube The Bearings" day.
This went off without a hitch as my Bride (of 47 years) and I do this every 10,000 miles. No surprises at all.
I also wanted to check on the spare. Ugh! What a chore. If you haven't checked your spare yet....well, you're in for a fun experience.
Most likely, you'll find the the plastic knob will not turn. I called BAL in California and received some great "try this" ideas from John, one of their technicians.
I first removed the keeper that's on the bolt. This prevents the bolt from working loose. Ha! I should be so lucky. I tried to loosen the bolt from the nut but only managed to shear the plastic handle off.
I then got out my Dremel Tool with a heavy duty cutting wheel (John's suggestion) and put the abrasive side down. I was able to cut halfway through using two cutting wheels. Don't forget to wear your safety glasses!! I then used a pair of vice grips to break the square nut off.
I did jack up the curb side to give me some working room. Time to crawl under a bit further.
You'll need a pair of vice grips to hold the long bolt that goes from a lug nut hole in the wheel through a plate to keep it from turning and a ratchet to remove the nut that holds the tire in place.
I was then able to drop the spare. Can you imagine trying this by the side of the road? In the rain??
I had to tie a rope to the Hide-A-Spare and pull on the "candy cane" tubes to get the storage bracket (that's what BAL calls it / them) to slide out.
After checking the spare, I was off to the local hardware store and bought a 3/8 inch stainless steel bolt, a nylok nut plus two stainless steel washers. I bought a 1 1/2 inch bolt, but a 3/4 inch bolt would have been long enough.
Getting the spare back onto the carrier was a bit of a challenge for a 67 year old guy, but with the help of my wife sending psychic suggestions, I was able to get it in place. Make sure you center the spare correctly on the carrier. I had to use a jack to lift up the carrier and then push it into place. I then installed the stainless bolt and nut. Just over two hours which included the trip to the local hardware store.
If you don't have the information about the Hide-A-Spare, just Google "BAL Hide-A-Spare" and go to the Norcoind website. There is also a youtube video.
Good luck!
Bob & Pat
2012 Evergreen Element 26SRL
2012 Ford Expedition Limited
thetravelkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
I just installed one on my trailer. The install is very straight forward and not difficult. The hardest parts were dropping the under belly to make sure i wasn't going to drill through anything. Glad I did that. And getting that stupid retaining clip off of the retaining bolt. I mounted mine so it pulls out to the passenger side and in front of the wheels. My trailer rides high and the whole set up is above the axels. It's a good idea to mount it as close to your wheels as possible to avoid dragging.
Retired Fire Dept Battalion Chief
2012 F150 FX4/ Max tow and Ecoboost
2016 Ever-Lite 232RBS
stormrider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The product "hides the unsightly spare tire" down where you'll forget to check it, and likely wreck it.

No thanks. I like my spare tire right at about elbow height where I can easily check it's pressure and the only way it will get damaged is if I or someone else hits it.

ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote