Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehstrojette View Post
does the furnace run from the gas or electric?
Depends. But most run on propane, plus the newer ones need 12-volt power to ignite the pilot light when the thermostat tells the furnace to come on. And the thermostat also needs 12-volt power to work. The old ones may have a pilot light that has to be lit before you set the thermostat

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Like all has said just turn both tanks on it has a auto change over there is a handle on it that needs to point to a tank aether one it don't matter, that will be the one it will be drawing off of when that one runs out it will flip to the next one then the first one can be UN hooked and filled with out having to turn off the gas, the heater will run by itself just turn it on and set temp, the stove the burner just turn on and there might be a igniter that turns it will say light or spark on it, but make sure you know how the stove tops lights before you turn it on, use the igniter or a camp lighter. The oven runs on a polite light that will need to be lit if you going to use the oven if your not planning on using the oven just leave it off it will not cause anything not to run. If you get stuck just ask a question

Old 01-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Depends. But most run on propane, plus the newer ones need 12-volt power to ignite the pilot light when the thermostat tells the furnace to come on. And the thermostat also needs 12-volt power to work. The old ones may have a pilot light that has to be lit before you set the thermostat
I am no expert but yes, normally it is run on propane. Then the electronic ignition needs electricity (battery or Shore power) to ignite the propane when the furnace cycles on....but then the furnace also uses electricity (battery or shore power) to run the furnace fan.
Bruce
Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
....but then the furnace also uses electricity (battery or shore power) to run the furnace fan.
Yep. Several years ago when dry camped at Texas Motor Speedway one cold weekend for the April NASCAR race, my single RV battery discharged after several hours of running the propane furnace, when the low for the night got down into the thirties F. Next morning we didn't even have lights until I cranked up the generator.

So my furnace was propane, but without battery juice (or shore power) it wouldn't work. My "shore power" was a 5,000-watt Honda generator. Worked great! But burned about 5 gallons of gas overnight. 5 gallons of gas at $3.50 per gallon is $17.50, so we didn't usually run the generator at night.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #19

Question: How long could I expect a fully charged (good condition) Deep Cycle battery to last if I was using the furnace with little else? Could I expect it to run the furnace for a whole night (12 hours)?
16K btu furnace
19 foot Travel Trailer (R7 Insulation)
Bruce
Old 01-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Question: How long could I expect a fully charged (good condition) Deep Cycle battery to last if I was using the furnace with little else? Could I expect it to run the furnace for a whole night (12 hours)?
Depends on the ambient temp and the wind, but based on mine, assuming 40 F. low for the night and only a light breeze, then a fully-charged battery when you went to bed should run the furnace until getting-up time. However, increase the wind to 30 MPH or the temp to below freezing, or both if camped out during a blizzard, then you may get cold before you get up. Or more likely if the battery was only 3/4ths charged when you turned out the lights, it won't last as long. The furnace fan goes on and off during the night. The more it's on, the quicker the battery will discharge. The more wind and the colder the ambient temp, the more the furnace fan will run. With only 7R insulation, a stiff cold wind can suck the heat out of an RV in a heartbeat.

For convenience sake, on RV trips in cold weather, I usually carry a small and very quiet Honda EU2000i inverter generator. It won't run the AC, so that's why I also have a bigger generator for summertime RVing. But it puts out enough watts to keep the battery charged and to run the furnace fan. A gallon of gas will run the generator all night. Honda makes two versions. The Companion costs a bit more, but it includes a 30-amp receptacle so you don't need an adapter to plug in your 30-amp RV cord. The regular EU2000i works just as good for that purpose, but it doesn't have a 30-amp RV receptacle, so you need a 30-amp to 20-amp adapter to plug the RV cord into the generator.
Honda EU2000i Companion Generator 2000 Surge Watts, 1600 Rated Watts, CARB-Compliant, Model# EU2000I1A3 | Inverter Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 01-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #21

Had a great first time out this past weekend.Went to Pigeon Forge and attended the rv show there with our best friends. Didnt even have to use the heat at all since it ended up being 74 on sat and 67 on sunday. Only thing we had to buy while down there was a mattress pad(boy thoses beds are hard) and a new pillow and comforter. Hubby spent his christmas money at Camping world buying 2 Maxxair hoods, awning clips for lights,blow out tool and water regulator and for the kids Pass the Pigs party game. Also ended up getting our good sams card for 20.00 and free night of camping. Going to save up for the extended x-chocks and surge strip for the campground plug.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #22

Quote:
16K btu furnace
19 foot Travel Trailer (R7 Insulation)
Bruce
Only one time experience here with my trailer...

We camped three days and AC power went out, so we were on battery power. Temps were 28 and 27 for the two nights there and battery worked fine (brand new marine deep cycle). Chared the battery from the tow vehicle a couple times for 10 minutes or so in the day and everything went smooth. Never lost power or heat. If you have a battery monitor, you can gauge better too.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #23

That sounds good, thanks for the responses guys.
Bruce
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Bruce
Double check your battery tray. Since your rig is new(er) your dealer might have supplied two batteries wired in. That will increase your run time in worst case scenario.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboy View Post
Only one time experience here with my trailer...

We camped three days and AC power went out, so we were on battery power. Temps were 28 and 27 for the two nights there and battery worked fine (brand new marine deep cycle). Chared the battery from the tow vehicle a couple times for 10 minutes or so in the day and everything went smooth. Never lost power or heat. If you have a battery monitor, you can gauge better too.
How are you charging the battery with the tow vehicle? The tow plug provides only low current trickle charge, I think, because of the gauge of the wire. I would think that one would have to install the TT battery into the tow vehicle in order to take full advantage of the alternator power.

Plus running the engine to charge a battery is an awfully expensive way to go.